U.S. Navy Spooked by N.K. "Mystery Weapon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
N.K. doesn't have ANYTHING revolutionary. They purchase Chinese and Russian dated equipment.

The real problem with N.K. is that no country or group of countries want to inherit the mess and population with the fall of their "great leader".

They recently got a satellite into orbit. It spins on it's axis making it irrelevant. They have managed to set off a underground contained nuclear event with the complete help of the Chinese....They're about 40 years behind the major players.

The boat I was on had two Phalanx gatling guns to spray bullets at incoming missiles.

Phalanx_CIWS_Firing_Wide.jpg

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'm not going to say any more than what has already been said, because I don't know how much was meant to be repeated, but after speaking with my wife's son once (ex Navy), he said something similar to what you described... Only it was a different country that possessed the technology.

Iran and the Sunburns ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: jcwit
It was a "boat"?

Yes it was a boat. 598 feet long.
grin2.gif

Merk, I thought that unless it was really, really tiny (i.e. a PT boat) or went underwater willingly, it wasn't a boat.
wink.gif

It doesn't take as much as people think. Look at the USS Cole, a couple of bomb tossers with a bomb in a small boat almost took the ship out.
all its going to take is a few determined bomb tossers to creep in over the Mexican border with the rest of the illegals and attack a carrier in port, it will be like the Arizona in Hawaii.
Its not going to be very sophisticated either.

The boat I was on had two Phalanx gatling guns to spray bullets at incoming missiles.

Phalanx_CIWS_Firing_Wide.jpg

Hence the problem, very affective against a handful of missiles. Quickly overwhelmed by a dozen or more, or a swarm of drones.

The next big conflict will be fought with drones, hence the movement to laser systems.

I suspect it will look something like this. Aircraft career from say Navy X is in motion surrounded by the the typical fleet that they travel with.

Country Y wants to sink it. Deploying surface assets is costly, deploying conventional aircraft is hit or miss, and fairly costly. Cruise missiles are cheap, but fairly dumb and can't be deployed in large numbers.

What is cheap, smart, and can be made in mass?

Drones. Imagine country X launches a large number of pretty fast drones from an air base. They are cheap, can be pretty hard to track, and each one carries a 300 pound shaped charge. Think of them as the kamikaze, except the pilots are sitting in chairs hundreds if not thousands of miles away. They have no skin in the game so no fear, this is just another video game that they have played since they were kids. Now imagine not 1 or two, not even a dozen, but a swarm. 100-200-300.

A couple Phalanx are going to get overwhelmed by them, hence lasers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
First of all the Navy doesn't "contract" to NRL.

Second, $65M isn't much of anything in weapons development.

Finally, there are lots of threats under development by adversaries.

Exactly.

There are a lot of potential threats, and emerging technologies.

Admirals aren't "spooked" by them, they're allocating finite resources to develop counters to potential adversary advancements. They do that every day. Navy spends billions on technology development, billions on procurement.

Part of the determination of how to spend that money is a threat assessment of the future operating environment. Determine the projected operating environment, analyze mission requirements, assess capability gaps, then develop new capabilities through technology, doctrine, training, and procurement.

What you're seeing is the normal process of capability development.

What should have people spooked is how ignorant both the press, and general public, are about the level of effort and rigor in the process and supporting analysis that determines how the U.S. Navy spends their money.

The Admirals have a political aspect to their own operating environment, because Congress approves every line of the budget, down to micromanagement of tiny programs that are valued at less than 0.01% of the Navy's aggregate budget, but there is detailed analysis and assessment supporting every budget and war fighting decision.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Merk, I thought that unless it was really, really tiny (i.e. a PT boat) or went underwater willingly, it wasn't a boat.
wink.gif

We all called it a boat, all 600 of us.

The Boatswain's Mates used to call each other "boats" as in plural.

That caught on and pretty soon we were all calling each other "boats."
grin2.gif

"Yo boats, you got anymore paint?"

Aviators always called everything the Navy had a boat...which the ship drivers openly hated...thereby encouraging the aviators to continue....

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: Doog
Well if they do attack one of our carriers we can just respond with one of these. I am confident there is always one nearby.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=4100&tid=200&ct=4

How can you be positive WHO launched the cruise missiles at your carrier? Just start nuking until countries can prove it was NOT them?

We have global satellite missile imaging systems that can detect a missile plume anywhere on Earth

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Well if they do attack one of our carriers we can just respond with one of these. I am confident there is always one nearby.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=4100&tid=200&ct=4

How can you be positive WHO launched the cruise missiles at your carrier? Just start nuking until countries can prove it was NOT them?

We have global satellite missile imaging systems that can detect a missile plume anywhere on Earth

that's good but don't mean that country necessarily launched it (terrorist cell possibility).

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Aviators always called everything the Navy had a boat...which the ship drivers openly hated...thereby encouraging the aviators to continue....

Hey Astro,
One time we were having a fire drill in the hanger bay and I was
supposed to PRETEND like I was pulling AFFF lever. Well, I didn't
pretend, I actually pulled the lever and flooded the hanger bay
with foam. The guys asked me why I pulled the lever. I said the drill
inspector told me to! The Captain's Gig was flooded with foam too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Hey Astro,
One time we were having a fire drill in the hanger bay and I was
supposed to PRETEND like I was pulling AFFF lever. Well, I didn't
pretend, I actually pulled the lever and flooded the hanger bay
with foam. The guys asked me why I pulled the lever. I said the drill
inspector told me to! The Captain's Gig was flooded with foam too.
grin2.gif

Ah well...we all make mistakes...I've made a few too...

11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back