Two year OCI on generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2500 watt sycamore generator with a 6.5 Honda clone engine. I have in the past few years changed the oil every year. Last year I started it maybe six times for a total run time of maybe three hours.
I feel like a waste to change the oil in it. It's filled with Rotella T 15w40 and seems to run good on that oil. Do you guys think I can leave it in another year?

3hrs over six start-ups, i run my generators every 45 days. i start-up, let engine stablized, 25%load five minutes to warm thing up, then i through 50 to 100% load til fuel bepleated, fuel-up and put back for month and a half. i do the run fuel thing out due to ethanol and this ensure fresh fuel and constent performance.

kc

Yeah that what I was thinking why waste perfectly good oil. I'm going to try and put a few more hours on the generator this year. Just hope not due to a storm.
What do you think about the 15w40 in this unit. It's a overhead valve with solid lifters so I thought a HDEO would be a good thing. I just wonder if the 40 weight might be a little more taxing on the engine. The owners manual recommends 10w30.

Originally Posted By: FFeng7
Yeah that what I was thinking why waste perfectly good oil. I'm going to try and put a few more hours on the generator this year. Just hope not due to a storm.
What do you think about the 15w40 in this unit. It's a overhead valve with solid lifters so I thought a HDEO would be a good thing. I just wonder if the 40 weight might be a little more taxing on the engine. The owners manual recommends 10w30.

First, I wouldn't change it yet, I would drain some HD and add some 10W 30 because, if it has a "Splash" oiling system I would probably stick with the lighter oil. 10 W 30 with a few ounces of the HD stuff to keep it from shearing under heat on a long run shouldn't hurt. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I put about 3 hours on it because when I start it up I like to let it run for about 30 minues and I do it about once a month. In the winter I usually run it dry and pull the drain plug on the carburetor float bowl. Then let it sit for the winter. So far no issues with it gumming up the carbs.

I start it unloaded than after a minute or two I plug in a space heater to pull a load on the engine. Space heater is 1400 watts and you can hear pull the RPM's down a good bit.

I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 in my Subaru genset, and M1 TDT 5W-40 in just about everything else. On equipment that's seldom used, frequent changes are not necessary. In fact, I'd say they are a waste. I'm going on 4 years now on the generator, with less than an hour on it. The oil is still fine (however, it resides inside an airconditioned garage).

How do you like the 15w50 in your genset? I thought about getting a quart of it for mine.

only thing that would worrie me is, you noted its a honda clone, and ive heard (no personal experience) that some of those have carbs that will sometimes allow fuel to drain back into the oil, so if it has a fuel shut off id use it, if not id run it dry (fuel), if not that, then i would make sure i couldnt smell fuel in the oil

How do you like the 15w50 in your genset? I thought about getting a quart of it for mine.

Years ago, I purchased rural Florida property. I purchased 2 Honda powered water pumps. They both failed rather quickly, quite earlier than expected. I had chosen Penzoil 10W-30 as the manual suggested for the first one. I changed to M1 on the second. And, I performed regular oil changes.

Here is what happened. The air cooled engines were running at full load pumping water. The outside temperature got up to mid 90's, super humid, and there was little wind in my overgown property. The oil got too hot and the engines failed. Both with connecting rod issues.

My generator, an 11HP Subaru unit was not going to suffer the same fate. I built my house, and ran off grid for many months. I then suffered 3 hurricanes with many weeks of power outages. I changed the oil every 2 days (running 24/7) with M1 15W-50. My generator has a huge number of hours on it, and it still runs perfectly. And, the oil still remains clean.

My neighbors were not so lucky. The local repair shops were populated with broken generator engines. It seems the Florida heat, coupled with heavy loads, for days on end, is too much for conventional oils in air cooled generators.

People were heating water (4500W) with 5500W generators, running AC units and driving well pumps. Our entire neighborhood (10,000 homes) sounded like a sea of 3600RPM single cylinder generators, all run at near maximum load. The number of failures were truly staggering.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Years ago, I purchased rural Florida property. I purchased 2 Honda powered water pumps. They both failed rather quickly, quite earlier than expected. I had chosen Penzoil 10W-30 as the manual suggested for the first one. I changed to M1 on the second. And, I performed regular oil changes.

Here is what happened. The air cooled engines were running at full load pumping water. The outside temperature got up to mid 90's, super humid, and there was little wind in my overgown property. The oil got too hot and the engines failed. Both with connecting rod issues.

My generator, an 11HP Subaru unit was not going to suffer the same fate. I built my house, and ran off grid for many months. I then suffered 3 hurricanes with many weeks of power outages. I changed the oil every 2 days (running 24/7) with M1 15W-50. My generator has a huge number of hours on it, and it still runs perfectly. And, the oil still remains clean.

My neighbors were not so lucky. The local repair shops were populated with broken generator engines. It seems the Florida heat, coupled with heavy loads, for days on end, is too much for conventional oils in air cooled generators.

People were heating water (4500W) with 5500W generators, running AC units and driving well pumps. Our entire neighborhood (10,000 homes) sounded like a sea of 3600RPM single cylinder generators, all run at near maximum load. The number of failures were truly staggering.

The generators are not made to run for days. For the most part they are pretty cheaply made. As technology improves one would hope our power grid would also, but seems more and more people are getting generators.

BTW - high humidity does not effect an engine, it only effect things that sweat to cool themselves like people/dogs/cats. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back