turn off or leave running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turn off my cars or ATV or OPE for anything over 20-30 seconds.
The tractor I'll leave running a bit longer because its diesel?(seems to be the thing to do?) Sometimes I have jobs where I move it every 1-2 minutes so I just let it run. After a hard run on anything I'll let it idle for 30 seconds just to cool a bit.
My old 03 Tracker was the only car I've had starter issues with, and I think it was just its location where it got filled with road debris and water.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I read long ago that it DOES take more gas to start an engine than to keep it running, but the break-even point is less than 30 seconds of idling.

So personally, my rule of thumb is that if Im stopping for less than 15-20 seconds, I leave it running.

+1

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
As a contrary viewpoint, UPS trucks stop their engines at every single house stop, which can be less than a block between start/stops.

I read long ago that it DOES take more gas to start an engine than to keep it running, but the break-even point is less than 30 seconds of idling.

So personally, my rule of thumb is that if Im stopping for less than 15-20 seconds, I leave it running. Ditto if it is not up to temperature yet, its really cold (though I dont purposely turn on my car to let it idle and warm up), its really hot, etc. Otherwise I turn it off. It reduces pollution, fuel consumption, etc.

Because the oil system is primed, everything is well coated (the oil isnt going to all fall out/off in a few minutes, even if the oil is full hot), the subsequent start-up wear from an additional start is minimal, IMO.
That's a safety issue for UPS.

Bingo and as mentioned is illegal to leave a unattended vehicle running in most states...

Me, I let the wife run in the store for a six pack and set in the running, air cond car...
grin.gif

Seriously I'd NEVER, EVER leave a vehicle running in a public place, restarting a hot FI engine is a non-issue... So the starter wear is elevated, the modern PMGR starters rarely fail...

I was driving a jeep cherokee recently (rental vehicle) and the engine shuts off at every stop light. The first time it happened I almost had a heart attack - I thought that the rental company had given me a lemon and it was a long drive back to exchange it. The car wouldn't give us the option of idling at the gas station.

I hope that feature doesn't become standard on new vehicles because I think I will loose my mind.

As a contrary viewpoint, UPS trucks stop their engines at every single house stop, which can be less than a block between start/stops.

So personally, my rule of thumb is that if Im stopping for less than 15-20 seconds, I leave it running. Ditto if it is not up to temperature yet, its really cold (though I dont purposely turn on my car to let it idle and warm up), its really hot, etc. Otherwise I turn it off. It reduces pollution, fuel consumption, etc.

Because the oil system is primed, everything is well coated (the oil isnt going to all fall out/off in a few minutes, even if the oil is full hot), the subsequent start-up wear from an additional start is minimal, IMO.

I believe UPS/FedEx/etc are required to shut of their engines at every stop they are getting out at.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
hmm, why would you not want to save gas? and why would you not worry about someone stealing your car? do you reside in a theft proof area?

depending on the vehicle, I would think unnecessary idle could build up fuel dilution.

As for stealing you car, I know my car doesn't require the key in the ignition(maybe the OP's is like that..or he is just very trusting) so I could keep it running, get out, lock it, run in for a soda, and come back to the vehicle. Still wasteful in the gas-sense of it. I was just saying..

Last edited:
I've calculated that the engine in my car consumes 0.4 litres of fuel per hour when warm (that.s 0.11 gallons per hour). That's without AC/heater or radio running, of course.

Not much of a penalty when it's only a minute or two, and I'd prefer to take the fuel consumption hit over getting back to a warmer or colder car, nevermind the ring gear/starter motor wear.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
If it is a few minutes, i would leave it running especially if its a hot day and you need AC.

Im not a fan of shutting off the car and turning it back on...i think that wears the engine out more. (i hate auto stop start technology that they put on cars now)

Also need to be more weary with direct injection engines as they build up carbon at a faster rate in idle.

I dont feel guilty at all letting my integra idle for extended periods of time but with my is250, i have to itch to turn it off after a minute...

You both confirm you hate autostop... but say DI builds up carbon .. ?? Also that you let one run... but shut the other off ??

Yes, most educated people would agree cold start/stop is bad, but warm start/stop isn't really a big deal.. unless it really needs to run for climate control, etc.
Otherwise Autostart/stop only operates when it is warmed up, not too cold outside, and climate control settings allow it... NONE of these things are bad for your engine/starter/electronics in a large measurable amount over the life of the vehicle compared to the fuel savings..
Follow these "rules" and your vehicle will survive unscathed as well...

BurrWinder

Yes, this can take a bit of getting used to.. but normally if the A/C or heat is on and the temp is extreme, it WILL NOT shut off at an idling stop - but under normal conditions it isn't a big deal.. you are saving gas... May as well get used to it !!

BurrWinder

Yes, this can take a bit of getting used to.. but normally if the A/C or heat is on and the temp is extreme, it WILL NOT shut off at an idling stop - but under normal conditions it isn't a big deal.. you are saving gas... May as well get used to it !!

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: Solarent
I was driving a jeep cherokee recently (rental vehicle) and the engine shuts off at every stop light. The first time it happened I almost had a heart attack - I thought that the rental company had given me a lemon and it was a long drive back to exchange it. The car wouldn't give us the option of idling at the gas station.

I hope that feature doesn't become standard on new vehicles because I think I will loose my mind.

BurrWinder

I shut down at stop lights. I also shut down when my wife is running in anywhere "For a minute". I do run the windows down, and it is never what I can measure as a minute.

I do leave the car running if I leave my wife in it, in hot weather. The AC works better for her, than lowered windows. I don't know why.

I even shut down my motorcycles at long lights.....But not until I have a couple of vehicles stopped behind me. Vigilance against the rear ender is very key, with MCs.

At work iv seen company trucks that have the gm 6.0 and the new 5.3 idle 12 hours a day and then drive home over 100 miles away. Those guys run the olm down to 0 and then get it changed at any ol quick lube place. They get well over 100k on the trucks without any problems

Originally Posted By: Solarent

It's coming, and trust me people will be disabling it or looking for ways to do so.

I ALWAYS shut my car off whenver I get out of it, whether it be at a gas station, burger king, etc..

.. the one exception is if my wife is in the car and it's warm/hot out, in which case it stays running to keep the A/C going..

Sometimes I even shut the car off in the drive thru or at a long traffic light, if it's cool out.

I leave running if I'm near it. Such minescule amount of fuel to be saved is not worth the shortend battery and starter life imo.

Most cars and light trucks we are talking about less than .5 Gallons per hour of fuel burned while idling.

Edit: I will not leave runng at a convience store, fast food etc... Just not safe to do so.

If I expect to be idling longer than a minute, I turn the engine off. I would never leave the engine running without someone in the driver's seat under normal circumstances, because an unattended running engine is a liability. An unlocked vehicle without occupant is also a liability.

Ya I'm talking small town America. Doors locked and locked and loaded in the city when I'm there lol

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Ya I'm talking small town America. Doors locked and locked and loaded in the city when I'm there lol

Here in Rural Indiana I could leave my truck running with the windows down and not really worry about it.

I still do not do it, but I think I could.

I only leave it run if im in the vehicle and its extremely hot or extremely cold out.

I don't worry about starter life, the newer starters are much more reliable than the old ones.

Even though I enjoy big, loud, powerful V8's where fuel economy is of little concern, I wish mine was a hybrid with a little electric motor to move the car at the drive through, or other low speed maneuvers to save running the engine.

And as was mentioned, UPS and the like stop the engine for liability reasons. If you figured thousands of truck running every days, and sometimes hundreds of stops, the cost of extra wear on starters is small compared to one or two incidents where some little kid throws a truck into drive, or steals a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back