Tune up time!

My Reatta was still rocking it's OE plugs and wires when I picked it up, making replacement high on the list of initial "to-do's".

The OE R44LTS6 plugs were barely snug, and gapped at around .080". The wires were very crispy, definitely showing their age. I replaced with a set of ACD 626D wires and NGK TR55 plugs.

Initial thoughts: starts much faster and smoother, and the misfire when the TCC is locked and load is applied is gone. There really is something to be said RE: how smooth a properly running 3800 engine is.

My Reatta was still rocking it's OE plugs and wires when I picked it up, making replacement high on the list of initial "to-do's".

The OE R44LTS6 plugs were barely snug, and gapped at around .080". The wires were very crispy, definitely showing their age. I replaced with a set of ACD 626D wires and NGK TR55 plugs.

Initial thoughts: starts much faster and smoother, and the misfire when the TCC is locked and load is applied is gone. There really is something to be said RE: how smooth a properly running 3800 engine is.
We had a LeSabre that went to the junkyard at 305,000 miles due to collision damage. That 3800 was the best engine I have owned. Lots of power, excellent fuel mileage, and very little oil usage. I want another one.

Sounds like it's time for an Italian tune up to get rid of the carbon deposits in the engine.

While I'm a huge fan of/believer in the "Italian" tune-up, it wasn't appropriate in this case. Italian tune-ups are best used when an engine has been used regularly, but gently.

Now that I've got fresh ignition parts installed, I'll happily put my right foot down and blow out the cobwebs.

Back