Trumped for best laugh Pennzoil slams and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quote from a technical article, Fuel Economy of Gasoline Engines listed at the Chevron website:

Here is one author's estimates of the impact of engine friction on fuel economy. 5

Up to 28 percent increase in fuel economy, if engine friction were completely eliminated (not possible).
Up to 5.8 percent increase in fuel economy for real driving cycles, if an improved motor oil reduced engine friction 50 percent.

End Quote

My Comments - So, Chevron is stating on their website, that a perfect, frictionless, engine oil would generate, at most, a 28% gain in fuel economy.

Also note, farther down the page, that the fuel economy differential associated with tire pressure is only in the 3% to 6 % range.

Quote:

Moderator, freeze this posting, going in circles. So the guy "believes" that Amsoil and Tufoil together gave him 8 MPG extra. That's what he believes. You won't get him to take it back. Let's go on from here. No one believes that is what actually happenned, that other factors are involved. Perception is reality, urban myths die hard

Jeez, Fred, I dunno if a thread is Allah-Carte where you get to order a freeze or curse on the contestants. You don't really order what you want, you have to take what you get. If things get rude enough however, I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to lock-her-down..
laugh.gif

And THEN where wil you be?
dunno.gif

I guess shat out of luck. Allen Walker won't be happy though. Hey If the mod doesn't kill it, then let it go on and on. Not for me to say. I gotta get off this thread... Going to walk the dog, and hoping to get some good milage, I just fed him some tufoil...
stirthepot.gif

Quote:

I guess shat out of luck. Allen Walker won't be happy though. Hey If the mod doesn't kill it, then let it go on and on. Not for me to say. I gotta get off this thread... Going to walk the dog, and hoping to get some good milage, I just fed him some tufoil...
stirthepot.gif

Actually, I'm very happy. I ordered some Auto RX, three bottles, thanx to you bringing me to this site. I also got the military discount.
cool.gif

My 1993 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L SOHC has some horrible lifter noise, and I'm hoping the stuff will cure it.

Quote:

stirthepot.gif

laugh.gif

Well, no one could accuse you of unsportsmanlike posting..
patriot.gif

Allen Walker, AutoRx is the real deal. I have used it in three cars. Caution: Since you like Amsoil and Tufoil, get it out of there or talk to Frank on the Additive section. You want to run dino oil only with that stuff. Follow all his directions to a "T". No exceptions. The guy knows what he is talking about.

Quote:

Allen Walker, AutoRx is the real deal. I have used it in three cars. Caution: Since you like Amsoil and Tufoil, get it out of there or talk to Frank on the Additive section. You want to run dino oil only with that stuff. Follow all his directions to a "T". No exceptions. The guy knows what he is talking about.

Thanx for the advice. I read the instructions and planned on doing just that. Sounds very interesting.
cool.gif

If some oil supplement (Tufoil or any other) really would increase fuel mileage by some major amount the car manufacturers would go crazy getting hold of that oil supplement. It would be a cheap way for the car makers to increase their corporate average fuel economy and meet government requirements. It would be cheaper than drastic re-engineering of their cars and trucks.

No oil supplement or engine treatment is really required at all. In fact, in the typical owner's manual, it usually says something to the effect that the owner should not use any oil supplements. Anybody with reasonable care and using reasonable quality motor oil changed with reasonable mileage/time oil changes could drive a car or truck a very long way. I happen to believe in Auto-RX but you don't have to use that either. Use good quality motor oil, air filters, etc., and drive the vehicle several hundreds of thousands of miles.

I do not think there is any magic oil supplement that will actually increase fuel mileage by some major amount. Such an oil supplement if it existed would quickly be grabbed up by a car manufaturer.

I say forget the urban legends. But if you really want to believe that Pennzoil or some other brand of oil causes sludge, than believe that. Use some other brand of oil. Just because Johnny down the street works on cars and believes that Pennzoil causes sludge does not mean that it is the truth. Pennzoil is very commonplace as a motor oil and if it really caused problems you can be sure that people would be aware of it. An article would probably appear in a consumer magazine and there would be TV reports on news stations. It would be big news would it not-if the number one brand of motor oil caused engine sludge? Do you think that it would be likely that such a thing would be a major news story? Since such a news story has not appeared why do you take the word of the guy down the street that works on cars and is telling you not to use Pennzoil?

Quote:

If some oil supplement (Tufoil or any other) really would increase fuel mileage by some major amount the car manufacturers would go crazy getting hold of that oil supplement. It would be a cheap way for the car makers to increase their corporate average fuel economy and meet government requirements. It would be cheaper than drastic re-engineering of their cars and trucks.

No oil supplement or engine treatment is really required at all. In fact, in the typical owner's manual, it usually says something to the effect that the owner should not use any oil supplements. Anybody with reasonable care and using reasonable quality motor oil changed with reasonable mileage/time oil changes could drive a car or truck a very long way. I happen to believe in Auto-RX but you don't have to use that either. Use good quality motor oil, air filters, etc., and drive the vehicle several hundreds of thousands of miles.

I do not think there is any magic oil supplement that will actually increase fuel mileage by some major amount. Such an oil supplement if it existed would quickly be grabbed up by a car manufaturer.

I say forget the urban legends. But if you really want to believe that Pennzoil or some other brand of oil causes sludge, than believe that. Use some other brand of oil. Just because Johnny down the street works on cars and believes that Pennzoil causes sludge does not mean that it is the truth. Pennzoil is very commonplace as a motor oil and if it really caused problems you can be sure that people would be aware of it. An article would probably appear in a consumer magazine and there would be TV reports on news stations. It would be big news would it not-if the number one brand of motor oil caused engine sludge? Do you think that it would be likely that such a thing would be a major news story? Since such a news story has not appeared why do you take the word of the guy down the street that works on cars and is telling you not to use Pennzoil?

Who exactly are you addressing?

Me? I've never heard from anyone that Pennzoil sucked.

In fact, a long time ago, a heard a guy that worked in an oil change shop declare loudly that a new SAE30w made by Pennzoil was the very best oil he'd ever used in his race car.

Quote:

I don't know if this is true ..at least completely. I think that there are things that can increase fuel economy ..but are impractical due to the cost. It would make little sense to save $12 worth of fuel with a $35 increase in oil costs.

GE, at one time (back during one of our energy crunches), made photo voltaic panels. They stopped when they figured out that they could not produce as much energy as it took to make them (improvements have occurred since). That sorta thing.

Wow. I mean wow. So much misinformation! Just a couple of thoughts as I do not believe I can add any value to this as it appears to have headed into a "perception", "personal experiance" based discussion versus an analytical discussion. My thoughts anyway.
1. Basing true MPG on a dashboard averaging system is a total waste of time. So many variables and algorythems are associated with what the computer estimates your MPG to be. Historical data is a major factor in this computation and final estimate that displays. Driving habits (both immediate/recent/historical) are also computed with a blended average factor. Or should I say weighted average would be more accurate. Bottom line is the display reflects a best guess estimate based on many variables and does not in anyway reflect a reliable measurement of actual MPG.At best you may be within 20%-30% of actual MPG with a factory $25 dollar on board computer.
2.The Butt Dyno. I feel the engine is quieter or smoother. I put in this doohickey that sez I get 50 more rear wheel horsepower and I feel it! I poured Extra Virgin Olive Oil made form Tibetan monks and my car runs so much better. I feel it. I hear it. I cannot provide any data to back it up. But the Butt Dyno tells me so. Oh yeah the famous Butt Dyno verification of performance and efficiency.
3.Urban myths. Oh yes! They spread like wildfire and remain forever. Shows have been produced and become successful talking about nothing but urban myths. Websites have grown to global proportions disputing/discussing urban myths. This INTERNET is a wacky thing. If somebody post Royal Purple utilizes a friction modifier made from moon dust, it becomes fact with those who do no research and just believe whatever they read. This fact in itself leads those of us who do our own research to get a little agitated when we see "Urban Myths" being circulated around the INTERNET. Especially when that myth pertains to motor oil.
Just my $.02 worth.

Quote:

1. Basing true MPG on a dashboard averaging system is a total waste of time. So many variables and algorythems are associated with what the computer estimates your MPG to be. Historical data is a major factor in this computation and final estimate that displays. Driving habits (both immediate/recent/historical) are also computed with a blended average factor. Or should I say weighted average would be more accurate. Bottom line is the display reflects a best guess estimate based on many variables and does not in anyway reflect a reliable measurement of actual MPG.At best you may be within 20%-30% of actual MPG with a factory $25 dollar on board computer.

Not true in the case of the Driver Information Center in my Corvette. If I calculate it manually, the car's DIC is always within a tenth of a MPG.

My butt-dyno tells me that my Volvo runs better on conventional oil and a paper air filter. Go figger.

Quote:

Quote:

Not true in the case of the Driver Information Center in my Corvette. If I calculate it manually, the car's DIC is always within a tenth of a MPG.

It is in my Vette also. However I would bet you and I are fairly consistent with our driving habits. If I read the gentleman's thread correctly or should I say threads
smile.gif
He just got the car and made these changes. I am suggesting the previous owner may have driven that car like Hillary was behind him wanting a big ol kiss. So utilizing that particular DIC probably did not truly reflect his MPG at all. I think people who are consistent with driving habits have reasonable DIC MPG estimates. Those that vary do not.

Quote:

It is in my Vette also. However I would bet you and I are fairly consistent with our driving habits. If I read the gentleman's thread correctly or should I say threads
smile.gif
He just got the car and made these changes. I am suggesting the previous owner may have driven that car like Hillary was behind him wanting a big ol kiss. So utilizing that particular DIC probably did not truly reflect his MPG at all. I think people who are consistent with driving habits have reasonable DIC MPG estimates. Those that vary do not.

It's been a #@$%! of a journey through all these car and oil forums trying to answer for my experiences and tall tales.

I did get 30.5 mpg at the end of my road trip though, measured with a calculator and miles driven/gallons filled.

I don't own a dyno. I don't know anyone that owns a dyno.
I really have no "scientific" means of providing "proof" to you unbelievers.

People say Tufoil is snake oil and that they've been sued. I've not seen any evidence of Tufoil ever having been sued by anyone. They've never made outlandish claims. They don't have to, they hold the Guiness World Record for the slickest substance known to man. Go ahead and tell me you think the testing was biased and flawed, therefore worthless.

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif

It's been a #@$%! of a journey through all these car and oil forums trying to answer for my experiences and tall tales.

I did get 30.5 mpg at the end of my road trip though, measured with a calculator and miles driven/gallons filled.

I don't own a dyno. I don't know anyone that owns a dyno.
I really have no "scientific" means of providing "proof" to you unbelievers.

People say Tufoil is snake oil and that they've been sued. I've not seen any evidence of Tufoil ever having been sued by anyone. They've never made outlandish claims. They don't have to, they hold the Guiness World Record for the slickest substance known to man. Go ahead and tell me you think the testing was biased and flawed, therefore worthless.

Did you reply to the wrong post? I dont care one way or the other and have asked you for absolutely nothing. No proof of nothing. I'm glad your happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back