TRUFILTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see the testing, but flow is all about the amount of OPEN space on a filter surface. The lager the screen material, the less open space there is. I would be pretty confident in saying that the diameter of the S/S wire screen mesh would be considerably thicker than the synthetic fibers used in the Eao and other quality filters. Heck, probably larger than the organic fibers in paper media. So for a given filter area, the S/S could flow less, AND filter less as well.

So, 100 dollars (on sale) for a reusable oil filter.

Or 2 dollars each for a supertech filter. I could get 50 oil changes on the girlfriends neon before I break even using this reusable filter, and I don't want to bother with cleaning a filter, i would rather throw a used one out.

No offense, but the only crowd that MIGHT be interested in such a device would be heavy equipment, or big rig drivers. Their oil filters run about 15 bucks a pop.

Justin has it. The economics just isn't there. You would have to keep one car for over 150k of out of warranty 3m/3k oil changes to make it pay. This is exclusive of any filtering ability issues. You've then got cleaning issues (more work than throwing a regular filter away) and, eventually, the purchase and ultimate disposal of any solvents you may use in the cleaning process. As I inferred in the 150k reference, you have to assume that you're going to keep the same engine/car/filter usage for a very long time. Buy a new(er) car ..even of the same make, it may have switched to a cartridge filter and you're SOL.

Now if you had bypass filtration ..and they offered a "swap it" service for a small fee if you switch models ..then it may make sense. You will, most likely, still be driving something that requires a filter.

..but..regardless of all the issues that are against the use of these filters ..they probably won't shorten your usage of any engine over your ownership. We're pretty anal here on BITOG about filtration performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back