Truck Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Bilstein 4600 are the way to go. Ride well, and they last.

The 5100 are just adjustable ride height, I believe.
This would be my recommendation as well (4600's unless you need ride height adjustment). I chose the 5100's for my 2010 FX4 and could not have been happier with them.

Did the Ford come with Rancho shocks ?

Bilstein is the best out of those choices.

Gabriel's monotube shock is called the Max Control
smile.gif

Krismoriah72, I have an 03 avalanche probably identical suspension, and we are close in weight( mine is 5950 with me in it). I replaced my worn out 4600 shocks with gabriel ultras.

They ride very stiff and harsh unloaded. When i'm hooked up to my travel trailer ( weight distributing hitch) They are perfect, the ride is very smooth.

I may switch back at some point to the bilsteins, as they rode much better unloaded.

I went with the 5100's on my f250. World of difference over the "Rancho labeled shocks" it came with (which still have "motorcraft" stamped on them).

The Bilstein 5100 monotube are perfect in these big vehicles, they are a bit stiff in the rear for unloaded pickups but the additional weight in the rear on the SUV smooths them right out, they give the SUV a Euro style ride which is well controlled without being harsh.
For $10 more than the twin tube its a no brainer, they are superior in every way to the 4100 for these vehicles. Look at the ones I linked to.

I put 4600's on my 03 Avalanche z71, because I wanted to keep the factory ride quality. The z71 comes with Bilsteins so that is the only thing that I knew for sure would ride like I wanted.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Did the Ford come with Rancho shocks ?
My 2015 PSD came with Rancho, but the 2010 FX4 came with OEM Ford shocks. The Bilstein's were night and day and I was able to raise the front of the truck to match the height of the rear (always hated that extreme rake in it). When the Rancho's go on the 2015, they will be replaced with Bilstein.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I had mono max on the rears of an 04 Silverado, they were ok. If you can afford it, go bilsteins (4600 for mostly on road 5100 for mostly off road / towing). If on a budget, the Gabriel ultras will do plus they have lifetime guarantee. I just replaced my OEM on my Colorado w bilsteins 4600 and they are perfect for me

Been wanting those for the Canyon but after 60k on the road and a few hundred off the road … my Rancho RS5000 shocks are not done … back set looks horrible from all the rock blasting but not a drop of fluid has leaked out …

Originally Posted By: Trav
The Bilstein 5100 monotube are perfect in these big vehicles, they are a bit stiff in the rear for unloaded pickups but the additional weight in the rear on the SUV smooths them right out, they give the SUV a Euro style ride which is well controlled without being harsh.
For $10 more than the twin tube its a no brainer, they are superior in every way to the 4100 for these vehicles. Look at the ones I linked to.

Ok im listening.. you say they are superior in every way to the 4100..do you mean 4600?

My truck isnt lifted or levelled..so if others run into this issue like me can you explain your review?

In the explanation of the difference of the 4600 vs 5100 bilsteins
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/bilstein-5100-vs-bilstein-heavy-duty.cfm

"The main difference between the Bilstein Heavy Duty vs Bilstein 5100s is that the Heavy Duty or 4600 series is designed for stock height trucks and the 5100 Series is built for lifted trucks. The other major difference between the Heavy Duty and 5100 is that the Bilstein 5100 Series shocks have a zinc coating with a brushed metal shock body and a black boot while the Heavy Duty uses a painted yellow body with a blue dust boot.

The Similarities: The 5100 series and the Heavy Duty shocks use the same technology internally. Both use the same internal valving and at stock height will ride the same (shocks for lifted trucks may use different valving settings in order to accommodate the extra weight of larger tires). Both shocks are pressurized with 360 psi of nitrogen to prevent shock fade and foaming of the shock oil. The outer construction of both shocks is identical as well with an extruded metal body rather for maximum strength and top of the line seals. The 5100 series and Heavy Duty 4600 series are both covered under Bilstein's limited lifetime warranty that protects against any manufacturer defects for the life of the shock.

For stock height trucks, the Bilstein Heavy Duty yellow and blue shocks are the most popular choice, because they typically cost a few dollars less than the 5100 shocks and provide excellent performance for towing, light offroading or normal driving. Many customers do prefer the 5100 Series even on stock trucks because the shortest 5100s are typically built for 0 to 2 inches of suspension lift, meaning they can run the 5100 on their stock height truck but leave the option open for a lift later on down the road.

For leveled trucks, where the owner has either purchased an aftermarket leveling kit or turned their truck's torsion keys up, Bilstein has shocks designed specifically for a 1-3 inch leveling kit. On some trucks with coilover type front shocks, a Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shock is available that is capable of lifting the front of the vehicle up. We recommend using the 5100 rear shocks along with your front 5100s on leveled trucks because the rear 5100 shocks are usally an inch longer than stock to accommodate a small lift. In our experience, once someone gets a taste of lifting their truck, they always go back for more. If you already have the 5100 shocks on the rear, you always have that option without needing to buy new shocks when you decide to add the lift.

For lifted trucks, the Bilstein 5100 series is the only choice. With a few exceptions, all Heavy Duty shocks are designed only for use on stock height trucks. Bilstein 5100 shocks are designed for every size of lift for popular trucks, so whether your truck is a modified daily driver or an all-out offroad monster, there is a Bilstein 5100 shock to fit it."

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Easy decision for me on this particular vehicle - Monroe Reflex Monotube (not the regular, twin-tube Reflex light-truck).

Front - 911505
Rear - 911506

People with give general recommendations, but again for this specific vehicle, it's my pick.

Agree. I have the reflex mono tubes on my 06 Sierra Denali. They are good riding and responsive and I have over 70k miles on them. I like Bilsteins, have them on my Corvette, but didn't want to pay the premium. I was expecting short life but these Reflex's have impressed me.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Easy decision for me on this particular vehicle - Monroe Reflex Monotube (not the regular, twin-tube Reflex light-truck).

Front - 911505
Rear - 911506

People with give general recommendations, but again for this specific vehicle, it's my pick.

Agree. I have the reflex mono tubes on my 06 Sierra Denali. They are good riding and responsive and I have over 70k miles on them. I like Bilsteins, have them on my Corvette, but didn't want to pay the premium. I was expecting short life but these Reflex's have impressed me.

Good review. Not sure what you mean by paying the premium? I spent some time today on Amazon and Ebay and calling around.

Here is what I came up with

Reflex Monotube- Best price NAPA at $55 each plus tax no shipping. $234 for 4 all in give or take.
Bilstein 5100- $68.97 Ebay free shipping no tax- $276 for 4
Bilstein 4600 $62.02 "" " $248 for 4

Bilstein 5100 has the best/most reviews.. im still unclear as to why..but they do give u the option for a lift..which i am not concerned with. More than a few have said that they switched from 4600 to 5100 and the difference was significant.. i cannot find any proof as to why.

Both have lifetime warranties- NAPA would be an easy swap as they stock this item Bilsteins- i guess i would have to pay to ship them back to a factory if i bought them on Ebay? Would my truck be on jackstands while I wait for the swap or what?

With Bilstein warranty, you have to send them to Bilstein, and they will rebuild or send new to you. Their turn-around is usually pretty quick, maybe a week or two.

So save your old ones to prevent keeping your truck on jack stands, even though you'll probably never need to use them.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Both have lifetime warranties- NAPA would be an easy swap as they stock this item Bilsteins- i guess i would have to pay to ship them back to a factory if i bought them on Ebay? Would my truck be on jackstands while I wait for the swap or what?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
My 2015 PSD came with Rancho, but the 2010 FX4 came with OEM Ford shocks.

And who made those OEM Ford shocks? They were made by one of the shock companies
smile.gif

After reading more posts/forums/reviews/amazon/youtube etc etc.. i think i have found my answer.

Bilstein 4600/5100- Good for a firm ride for a long time, you will feel all the little imperfections of the road but on the big stuff they shine well. Firm no nonsense truck ride.

Monroe Reflex Monotube- A step or two above OEM- a balance of all

KYB Monomax- Stiff and Strong- Probably what you would want pulling a 5th wheel for a living.

Gabriel Ultra- Theres one guy on here that says they are the best..other than that not much has been said in the past 10 years. Its the cheapest at $30/shock

-----------
I think those are the 4 major competitors and my take on reviews.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Gabriel Ultra- Theres one guy on here that says they are the best..other than that not much has been said in the past 10 years. Its the cheapest at $30/shock

I hope that's not in reference to my post. I have them on my avalanche. They ride harsh and stiff, unless my travel trailer is in tow, then they ride really well.

I may soon go back to bilsteins as the unloaded ride is too harsh.

The 90,000mi original shocks I pulled from my 02 Silverado almost looked like the Monroe Reflex monotube shocks shown on the website. Plastic boot, monotube design, blue instead of black. The OE shocks showed markings that it's made by Tenneco. It was rusting from the plastic boots rubbing on the shock tube otherwise I was surprised that none of them were dead yet.

I've replaced them with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks which are a bit stiffer which I prefer in a truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back