Bistein shocks and mileage getting up there

So with Bilstein shocks that are guaranteed for life how does one handle things when the shock wears out? Pickup has 160K and I am pretty sure the front two have a least 100K miles. When they no longer perform satisfactory how does one handle the guarantee? Pull the worn out shock, send it to Bilstein and wait for a replacement. No pickup in the meantime?

So with Bilstein shocks that are guaranteed for life how does one handle things when the shock wears out? Pickup has 160K and I am pretty sure the front two have a least 100K miles. When they no longer perform satisfactory how does one handle the guarantee? Pull the worn out shock, send it to Bilstein and wait for a replacement. No pickup in the meantime?
My only experience with this was with shocks purchased from my local parts store. I kept the receipt etc. as I always do and when the time came to have the shocks replaced, I removed the shocks, went to the parts store, they replaced them on the spot, I returned home and installed the new shocks. Overall, not a bad process, minimal downtime. However, in the last few years I have become a regular RA customer for these kind of parts so, yeah, I don't know how that will work if and when I need to replace a RA purchased lifetime warranty shock. This would be another argument for supporting the local parts store vs. the mail order I suppose.

My only experience with this was with shocks purchased from my local parts store. I kept the receipt etc. as I always do and when the time came to have the shocks replaced, I removed the shocks, went to the parts store, they replaced them on the spot, I returned home and installed the new shocks. Overall, not a bad process, minimal downtime. However, in the last few years I have become a regular RA customer for these kind of parts so, yeah, I don't know how that will work if and when I need to replace a RA purchased lifetime warranty shock. This would be another argument for supporting the local parts store vs. the mail order I suppose.
Not sure how the Bilstein warranty would work at AZ or AAP. Are they going to handle the claim or say you need to deal with Bilstein directly.

Not sure how the Bilstein warranty would work at AZ or AAP. Are they going to handle the claim or say you need to deal with Bilstein directly.
If you buy them at the parts store and they have lifetime warranty you just bring them in and get a replacement.

Only hurdle is you’ll have to call ahead to have them ordered to the store if they aren’t a regular stocking item.

If you bought them through a specific retailer, they should be able to handle the exchange provided you have proof of purchase. If they no longer exist , you will have to contact Bilstein directly.

If you have a spare car or truck it is easy, if not, you got your use out of them. Buy a new set and install them. Turn the old ones in for warranty if they say it is a good chance and then sell the newly warrantied ones on ebay/facebark

From what the couple folks I know who have used the "warranty", they dealt with Bilstein directly. Yes, you will either have to put old shocks/dampers back on, or source new ones, if you want to keep driving the vehicle. Bilstein doesn't offer replacements up front/pre-inspection. That said, they were very satisfied with the service and items were returned pretty quickly. A little inconvenience for essentially new performing shocks/dampers.

That is a good question. Personally I would be a bit put out if it wasn't dealt with right at the retailer level. The shocks I returned under warranty were not Bilstein but I must admit I would have expected the same over the counter exchange regardless of the brand.

Back when my 98 Chevy 1500 Z71 had about 30,000 miles on it, I replaced the factory Bilstein shocks with Bilstein HD shocks. I still have these shocks on the truck with almost 144,000 miles on it now. Truck still rides like it did back then and I have not noticed any leaks. I bought mine at Autozone at the time so I'm not sure how the warranty would work if I have to get any of them replaced. I do still have the receipts.

Back