Trans drain and fill. Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for advice. 1998 nissan frontier 4cyl. Automatic. Just did and drain and fill on tranny. Valvolone max life atf. 4 quarts out and 4 new qts in. I know the system holds more but not sure how much. Question is how long does it take for the fluid to cycle through the whole system? Going to do another drain and fill soon so all is new fluid. Thx!

Originally Posted By: lawnman
4 quarts out and 4 new qts in.

Do this every 20,00-30,000 and the trans should last forever.

Going to do another drain and fill soon so all is new fluid. Thx!

Probably not necessary if the stuff coming out still "looks OK".
Do it again in 10,000-20,000 and you should be good.

Space out the drain and fill at least 500 miles. That way the trans get a slow and gentle cleaning with the detergents from the new atf.

Crazy guess as to the 'new' fluid being totally mixed, ...... 100 miles.

How long has it been since the last fluid change ? ? ?
How did the fluid look/smell that you drained ? ? ?

I would drive several hundred miles to let the 'newer' fluid do some cleaning.

Others on here will suggest you disconnect a Hose and do a Total Fluid change.

I myself just do a Drain & Fill once a year.
I have a Drain Plug on Pan which makes it easy.

Last edited:
Thx guys. 25,000 since last drain and fill. Same fluid. Truck only has 102,000 original miles. Old fluid looked great and trans shifts great as well

It does not take very long to mix it up. 30 min drive.

Have you considered a cooling line exchange? Easy and uses less ATF and does a better job.

Does it have a replaceable media filter? If so change it.

Quote:
Question is how long does it take for the fluid to cycle through the whole system?

After the engine is started and at idle, the volumetric flow is about 0.25L/S so for an 11 Liter sump it takes approx. 44s to circulate the complete 11 L. It should thoroughly mix in 3 passes so total time for mixing is 2.2 min.

Cleaning of the internals takes a bit longer.

Thx guys. 25,000 since last drain and fill. Same fluid. Truck only has 102,000 original miles. Old fluid looked great and trans shifts great as well

In that case, 4 quarts every 30,000 is really very, very safe.

I took another route - drained and refilled same volume, then connected a hose to ATF cooler line that runs ATF into cooler and drained/refilled 1qt at a time while running engine and shutting it off during fills. ATF started coming out clean after replacing about 1/2 total trans' ATF volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back