Trailer tires - Please advise

wow seems like alot of trailer for 2 motorcycles..... Thats more full enclosed car hauler?

when replacement time comes I'd definitely run LT tires.
This is Debbie, who Jeff referred to. Although we are hauling 2 motorcycles, we alao want the ability to haul my jeep grand cherokee or my bmw i8 roadster. That's why we bought that size trailer.

This is Debbie, who Jeff was referring to. He suggested I join the site. I also plan on hauling either my Jeep Grand Cherokee or my BMW I8 Roadster when not hauling the motorcycles. That is why I bought that size trailer and want to make sure I have good tires to haul the load. The trailer itself weighs 3200 lbs. We will be towing it with a 32' diesel pusher class A RV. Plus it has room for kayaks, paddle boards and fishing stuff.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1584237038043.jpg
    FB_IMG_1584237038043.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201025_154210.jpg
    20201025_154210.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 15449.jpeg
    15449.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 15063.jpeg
    15063.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 21
Carlisle's are very good trailer tires. You want to get ST 6 ply bias or ST radial tires. Best to get the trailer wheels and tires balanced. 65 mph max. .02

I've heard good things about the Goodyear Endurance. Seems it's the only tire Goodyear has done right by.

Trailer tires are typically bottom of the barrel made. The best thing you can do is run them at max PSI on the sidewall (likely 65 psi) and check them regularly. Running at the max PSI ensures they run much cooler, heat is what kills alot of tires. Also have a good spare. I'd also replace them every 5 years at the latest.

I currently own three trailers, not so long ago I owned six trailers. I haul the trailers loaded across the USA on the interstates.

All the trailers have experienced blowouts. The blowouts all occurred while the trailer was loaded, while I was driving on the interstate, and on a hot afternoon. Never a blowout in the AM, or during moderate temperatures. I have had Carlisles blow out with under 500 miles on them, and mounted just days prior to the blowout.

The only trailer tire that has never failed me is the Goodyear Endurance. If you are towing a trailer on the interstate under hot conditions and can't afford a failure- Goodyear Endurance is the only option in my experience.

Yes the D is the load rating. The D rated tires that were on my TT (I can’t remember the name but chinabombs) and were right at max load rating for the TT. The E rated Goodyear Endurance tires have some room for error and 80 psi max. The chinabombs were 65 psi max and 65 mph where the GY’s are 88 mph. Not that I pull it that fast but I like a cushion. Because of the load on mine I run them at 70 psi cold.
I also had mine balanced and metal valve stems installed.

The D is not the load rating in this case - it means its a bias ply tire. Radials use the R instead of the D in the tire size. Load range is separate from the tire size.

There is nothing wrong per se with bias ply tires versus radial tires depending on the application.

I still use bias-ply trailer tires on my trailer due to some terrain I encounter in loading and unloading, but I buy 81 mph speed rated tires and keep my speed at 70 or lower. I've had good luck with the Kenda Loadstar K550 tire - came standard on my trailer and no blowouts or failures yet. Not bad over 21 years of towing... (I follow a three year rotation and replacement - every three years, the oldest tire is junked, and the new one goes on in service, while the oldest rotates into the spare spot).

I always run full inflation pressure. I've not lost trailer tire in years. Other person who tows a boat on these trips insists they know the right pressure to fill the tire to and its not the maximum and has lost three on the same trips... Go figure...

Last edited:
I first had a trailer in 2009, owning two since then, a little tent trailer, and more recently, a two axle fifth wheel. I've naturally had an interest in trailer tires, and from what I've seen, a lot has changed over the years.

Until a few years ago, virtually all ST tires were garbage. Poorly built, even by the big name brand (the only one in that segment). "China bomb" is a common term in reference to trailer tires, owing that they were often built in factories, usually in China, that had virtually no quality control.

I did a lot of my own homework in this area trying to figure out a viable alternative to the ST tires, and based on what I've learned, including from our own resident tire professional, CapriRacer, these are some basics:

• ST tires were largely an abandoned market, left to companies that did not seem to care one bit about quality
  • Bias ply were common in smaller sizes, as they were easier to build to carry heavy loads when compared to radials
  • Bias ply also tended to have shorter life spans, run hotter, and blow out more frequently, though the blow outs were usually nothing spectacular
  • Radials when they did blow out did so much more catastrophically - in most applications not a real issue as it was rare (outside of poor tire care), except when it came to trailer tires
  • LT tires, when it comes to load capacity, have to meet similar specs to their LT cousins, but are of course subject to more requirements - they are intended to be put on a vehicle that is driven, so need cornering and braking capabilities, and are, for any given load, given a rating with a huge margin compared to what they can actually handle, versus the ST tires, which are rated to a figure close to their true capacity.
  • LT tires theoretically lack the compounds the ST tires have to help them withstand long periods of sitting idle
  • LT tires are typically 16" and larger, though you may have very limited luck getting them in 15" or 14" in North America, but they will be known by their European name of "Commercial Van Tires" - you would see them with the letter C at the end (not to be confused with load range): eg. 185R14C - I actually used this size on my tent trailer. Problem with these commercial van tires is they are hard to find, especially in the smaller 14" size.
  • LT and the commercial van tires have been installed by trailer manufacturers around the world as an alternative to ST tires.
  • ST tires, unless otherwise marked, have a speed rating of 65 mph. LT tires have the typical speed ratings of Q, R, S, T, etc. I would rather have a rating of a speed much higher than I would tow at, rather than right at the speed I would tow at.
  • Michelin once suggested on their website to look at their LT tires for trailer tire replacement.
  • Tires in general, people say to replace in the 6 to 10 year old range, with hot climate tires recommended for replacement at 6 years, and cold climate well cared for tires possibly up to 10. But for ST tires, at least the older options, 5 years seems to be the absolute longest you would want to go, regardless of where you live. You can, in theory, get longer service life using LT (and therefore lower costs). Based on where I live and travel, my comfort zone is very close pre-trip inspections, and be prepared for replacement from 6 years onwards, likely just doing it at 8 years regardless - I live in Edmonton, Canada.
  • Many people will state that you can't use LT in place of ST, though they never come up with a solid reason why.
My LT experience has been very positive. I used the commercial van tires on the tent trailer from 2013 to 2016, and took the trailer on several long cross Canada and cross US trips, and had much more confidence than the ST tires before them. In 2017, I replaced the tires on our fifth wheel we just bought with LT tires before hitting the road with them (not counting the trip home I did with the original ST tires). Again, taken across both Canada and the US with zero issues.

Since then, some things have changed in the ST tire world. I've heard some people say they've had good luck with Maxxis and Carlisle. Also, Goodyear replaced the notorious Marathon with their Endurance. I am not a Goodyear fan, but I have not heard any bad things about the Endurance.

In the larger 16" sizes, Sailun has an ST tire that seems to be very well regarded. Sailun, though Chinese, seems to march to a different drum than other companies making tires there, and seems to be focused on having a reputation for good quality in the budget market. Their ST tires are very heavy and solid, and look more like the truck tires you would see on a semi.

Hankook just entered the ST market last year with their Vantra line. Too new to know for sure, but there doesn't seem to be anything negative out there about them. They have tires from 13" to 16".

If I were shopping today, I would personally look at options that range from the LT tires, to the better ST tires like Sailun and Hankook, and would think that anyone looking at Goodyear, Maxxis or Carlisle are also looking at very good choices.

I first had a trailer in 2009, owning two since then, a little tent trailer, and more recently, a two axle fifth wheel. I've naturally had an interest in trailer tires, and from what I've seen, a lot has changed over the years.

Until a few years ago, virtually all ST tires were garbage. Poorly built, even by the big name brand (the only one in that segment). "China bomb" is a common term in reference to trailer tires, owing that they were often built in factories, usually in China, that had virtually no quality control.

I did a lot of my own homework in this area trying to figure out a viable alternative to the ST tires, and based on what I've learned, including from our own resident tire professional, CapriRacer, these are some basics:

• ST tires were largely an abandoned market, left to companies that did not seem to care one bit about quality
  • Bias ply were common in smaller sizes, as they were easier to build to carry heavy loads when compared to radials
  • Bias ply also tended to have shorter life spans, run hotter, and blow out more frequently, though the blow outs were usually nothing spectacular
  • Radials when they did blow out did so much more catastrophically - in most applications not a real issue as it was rare (outside of poor tire care), except when it came to trailer tires
  • LT tires, when it comes to load capacity, have to meet similar specs to their LT cousins, but are of course subject to more requirements - they are intended to be put on a vehicle that is driven, so need cornering and braking capabilities, and are, for any given load, given a rating with a huge margin compared to what they can actually handle, versus the ST tires, which are rated to a figure close to their true capacity.
  • LT tires theoretically lack the compounds the ST tires have to help them withstand long periods of sitting idle
  • LT tires are typically 16" and larger, though you may have very limited luck getting them in 15" or 14" in North America, but they will be known by their European name of "Commercial Van Tires" - you would see them with the letter C at the end (not to be confused with load range): eg. 185R14C - I actually used this size on my tent trailer. Problem with these commercial van tires is they are hard to find, especially in the smaller 14" size.
  • LT and the commercial van tires have been installed by trailer manufacturers around the world as an alternative to ST tires.
  • ST tires, unless otherwise marked, have a speed rating of 65 mph. LT tires have the typical speed ratings of Q, R, S, T, etc. I would rather have a rating of a speed much higher than I would tow at, rather than right at the speed I would tow at.
  • Michelin once suggested on their website to look at their LT tires for trailer tire replacement.
  • Tires in general, people say to replace in the 6 to 10 year old range, with hot climate tires recommended for replacement at 6 years, and cold climate well cared for tires possibly up to 10. But for ST tires, at least the older options, 5 years seems to be the absolute longest you would want to go, regardless of where you live. You can, in theory, get longer service life using LT (and therefore lower costs). Based on where I live and travel, my comfort zone is very close pre-trip inspections, and be prepared for replacement from 6 years onwards, likely just doing it at 8 years regardless - I live in Edmonton, Canada.
  • Many people will state that you can't use LT in place of ST, though they never come up with a solid reason why.
My LT experience has been very positive. I used the commercial van tires on the tent trailer from 2013 to 2016, and took the trailer on several long cross Canada and cross US trips, and had much more confidence than the ST tires before them. In 2017, I replaced the tires on our fifth wheel we just bought with LT tires before hitting the road with them (not counting the trip home I did with the original ST tires). Again, taken across both Canada and the US with zero issues.

Since then, some things have changed in the ST tire world. I've heard some people say they've had good luck with Maxxis and Carlisle. Also, Goodyear replaced the notorious Marathon with their Endurance. I am not a Goodyear fan, but I have not heard any bad things about the Endurance.

In the larger 16" sizes, Sailun has an ST tire that seems to be very well regarded. Sailun, though Chinese, seems to march to a different drum than other companies making tires there, and seems to be focused on having a reputation for good quality in the budget market. Their ST tires are very heavy and solid, and look more like the truck tires you would see on a semi.

Hankook just entered the ST market last year with their Vantra line. Too new to know for sure, but there doesn't seem to be anything negative out there about them. They have tires from 13" to 16".

If I were shopping today, I would personally look at options that range from the LT tires, to the better ST tires like Sailun and Hankook, and would think that anyone looking at Goodyear, Maxxis or Carlisle are also looking at very good choices.
Well...you left out the part where almost all ST tires have a nylon cap overlay-which used to be reserved for the Goodyear, Maxxis, etc., tires of the world and the nylon cap is NOW pretty much standard in almost all ST tires.

Also-you forgot to mention that most ST tires OEM are coming with an "M" rating good for 81 mph-not that one should tow a trailer that fast. I appreciate your sharing the info but it's not all current.

Even our resident tire expert have said ST tires have come along way and blowouts are not once as prevalent as they once were.

I feel like I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have run all manner of ST tires literally all over the country. I have never had a single failure-not a ONE. BUT I don't curb hop, make tight turns, tow no faster than 65mph and always check my inflation.

Last edited:
Well...you left out the part where almost all ST tires have a nylon cap overlay-which used to be reserved for the Goodyear, Maxxis, etc., tires of the world and the nylon cap is NOW pretty much standard in almost all ST tires.

Also-you forgot to mention that most ST tires OEM are coming with an "M" rating good for 81 mph-not that one should tow a trailer that fast. I appreciate your sharing the info but it's not all current.

Even our resident tire expert have said ST tires have come along way and blowouts are not once as prevalent as they once were.

I feel like I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have run all manner of ST tires literally all over the country. I have never had a single failure-not a ONE. BUT I don't curb hop, make tight turns, tow no faster than 65mph and always check my inflation.

That may be the case, I honestly haven't kept up with how the off-brand trailer tires are being made. I do know if I were going to use an ST tire today, I would choose one of the brand names with a good reputation.

You may have cared for your ST tires properly, never underinflating and never running over 65 mph. My original set on the tent trailer were ST bias plies, and they were run all over Canada and the US, without issue in terms of blowouts. But like you, I kept them properly inflated and respected the manufacturer's maximum speed. Unfortunately, many people don't do that. A better tire can take some abuse, a bad tire can't take much abuse.

The issue I did have with the ST tires was very poor, uneven wear. I later learned that the tires I had, ST185/80D13, Load Range D, curiously had just a few extra pounds in their weight rating, compared to other tires marked ST185/80D13. This just coincidentally seemed to be just enough in calculations to meet the weight requirements of the trailers GVW. Hmmm. Smells of someone fudging figures to make them work, and this showed up as they neared the end of their life.

Similar distances on the replacement 185R14C Load Range D and absolutely perfect wear. I did absolutely no adjustments, only an "axle flip" and larger wheels to accommodate the bigger tires.

Sure, ST tires have improved. But I am sticking to a reputable brand, whether that's ST or LT.

Reactions: CKN
Back