Toyota VVT startup rattle repair cost?

My wife’s 2009 RAV4 with the 2AR-FE engine is starting to develop the dreaded VVT-I intake gear startup rattle. Has anyone had this repaired recently? What’s a ballpark cost for repair?

That’s the four cylinder model, it should be much less expensive than the V6 2GRFE, because I don’t believe the engine has to come out for the timing cover to come off, and it should only be one timing chain. You can get the entire kit on Amazon for around $200 bucks...actuators, chain, guide, tensioner. Everything. And I’d say roughly 8 hours labor. Probably do the water pump, another $100. Valve cover gaskets $50. Maybe $1,500 at a decent independent shop. IMO.

i wouldn't be in any hurry, you can drive years like that. we drove my wife's accord for two years with the start up rattle. never missed a beat.

My wife’s 2009 RAV4 with the 2AR-FE engine is starting to develop the dreaded VVT-I intake gear startup rattle. Has anyone had this repaired recently? What’s a ballpark cost for repair?
Reach out to the car care nut and have him do the VVT-I intake gear he’ll take care of you

Check "The Car Care Nut" Youtube channel. He may have done one of those and discussed the cost
He did a video but didn’t discuss cost. Watching the video is what made me think about fixing it because according to him it will eventually grenade your engine if you don’t.

Reactions: D60
Back