Toyota set to recall Prius hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
Nothing absolutely nothing to do with the brakes actually it's a software issue where the transition from electric (regenerative braking) and the hydralic braking when your going between 15 and 35 miles an hour. isnt considered a safety hazard..

However I think this is the point I was trying to make earlier...The fact is that the pedal "feel" is not "natural". So it gives incorrect feedback to the driver, which in my view IS a safety hazard!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
Nothing absolutely nothing to do with the brakes actually it's a software issue where the transition from electric (regenerative braking) and the hydralic braking when your going between 15 and 35 miles an hour. isnt considered a safety hazard..

However I think this is the point I was trying to make earlier...The fact is that the pedal "feel" is not "natural". So it gives incorrect feedback to the driver, which in my view IS a safety hazard!!!!!

Have you ever driven a Prius?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Is it me.... or is it that most hybrid drivers are snobs (I'm better than you mentality) ?

A lot of people say that but I haven't noticed it. I know several people who own hybrids and they typically do so just as a hedge against gas prices skyrocketing. They'd rather just have a predictable car payment and not worry about fluctuations in the price of gas. I've also heard several say they bought theirs because they'd rather send money to the Japanese than the Middle East.

My corporate car is a Prius -- It's not a bad little car but I probably would have bought something different if given a choice.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
I have, so what? I rented one for a few days to see what the fuss what about.

It is like driving an x-box...kind of fun watching the eco guages. I don't think I would ever buy one because my commute is only 6 miles and it would take me about 20 years to even out the additional cost even if gas was $3.50. I think we could do better with high performance clean diesel technology like somebody said before. The BMW 540D (diesel) gets 41mpg city and 49mph hwy with the manual trans and is a really hot road car on top of it. But BMW doesn't sell it here because of the emissions requirements. SO the auto industry needs to turn it's attention to clean diesel and the government needs to provide economic incentives to the oil companies to provide diesel fuel at reasonable prices to the consumer. This would be a real answer to using less fuel across the board.

Originally Posted By: kb01
I've also heard several say they bought theirs because they'd rather send money to the Japanese than the Middle East.

That is an excellent point...reminds me of what T. Boone Pickens said when making his pitch for wind energy versus oil: " Do we as a people want to keep sending our money to people who want to kill us?"

Originally Posted By: Durango
Funny I mentioned problem in the Prius almost a couple weeks ago and I was told it was a hoax. I wonder I someone from Toyota is monitoring this forum????

It is a software re-flash....but because it is brakes it is a big deal. I think there were 4 crashes involved. But now the media is in hyper mode for Toyota so they have to fix it pronto. I have had ecm re-flashes on both Lexus vehicles routinely. Even my 2002 Suburban got one when I went in for an oil change once. Most are upgrades to the transmission shift software or vehicle diagnostics. On the ES350 the last one was a huge improvement in trans shift points. Same as Windows update on your PC. Usually a patch or better program overwrite. The Prius brakes do pause between normal and regenerative and it is noticeable. The re-flash will simply make it less noticable more streamlined pedal feedback. No doubt old fogies or soccer Moms driving a Prius and crashing.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Troy Built - Is that you dad?

No, its me
lol.gif

I don't mean simple things like power windows.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
well, if someone gives you the Prius I'll take it. I won't like it, but I'll take it.

I'll take it and the next day take it to Ford and trade it in.

+1

thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Is it me.... or is it that most hybrid drivers are snobs (I'm better than you mentality) ?

The same goes for VW drivers down here.
54.gif

Oh, it's not you. There's a guy driving around town with a HUGE BLACK STICKER on the back of his Pious proudly stating "52MPG Vehicle".

I make it a point to lay into my "no where near 20Mpg in town" vehicle whenever I'm near him. He would have to be deaf to not hear the Magnaflow and the tail-pipe pointing at his driver's window.

Note that it was the look I got the first time I was near him that initiated this response. I drive what I want. If it gets horrendous gas mileage, who's business is that but mine?

I remember I was at officemax purchasing paper for my printer. This pretty lady came in looking for paper, she picked up the recycled kind. I kindly told her that the non-recycled kind is whiter and 2 dollars cheaper. She said "Well I bet you drive a truck dont you" I said "Well my truck can probably run over whatever golf cart your driving." I dont think she was happy.

The [censored] tires on the Prius are to blame, partly too. I can't wait for the day the OEM Goodyear no-Integritys wear out so I chuck the ones on my parent's 09 for Bridgestone Ecopia EP100s or Michelin Energy Saver A/S.

I still think hybrids are a more viable solution than "clean" diesel. At least you don't have to worry about running out of urea or voiding VW/Mercedes/Audi/BMW warranty with non-VW approved fluids or filling up with something other than ULSD. If I own a diesel, it will be the Ford or Dodge/Cummins type.

Last edited:

And Vizzy- I recently saw a Prius trucking down the highway at 90 MPH spewing black smoke. I thought to myself - way to save the world - moron

Just wait until you see one of these with a old school Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA/8V-92TA hauling booty down the freeway billowing black smoke...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back