2013-2018 Toyota RAV4 fire risk recall

There's some people that won't bother to re-install the battery hold down when they change a battery. The older and junkier a vehicle is, the less likely that anything other than gravity is actually holding the battery down.

Makes me wonder how many car-b-cues were caused by that....

The way that I see it, this is partly Toyota's fault, partially the battery seller's/manufacturer's fault, and partially the owner's fault.
Toyota has been using group 24 batteries in their vehicles for... forever. Suddenly, they started using group 35 batteries in some of their vehicles. Adding to the confusion is that some RAV4s come with a group 24 battery and some come with a group 35 battery, and both sizes will physically fit in the vehicle.
Some battery manufacturers incorrectly say in their battery charts that Toyota's vehicles that came with a group 24 battery take a group 35 battery. This is a problem. The battery hold down that is designed for a group 24 battery will not properly secure a group 35 battery because the battery is physically smaller, and the opposite is also true. What are most owners going to do? Leave the hold-down completely off. The owner purchasing and installing a group 35 battery that is noticeably smaller than the battery they removed should know that it is the wrong battery and the store that sold the smaller battery should have known better when they saw the larger core, and vise-versa.
I'll bet that Toyota is going to provide the longer hold downs designed for a group 24, but run the threads much farther down on the hold down rods so that either battery can be properly secured.

Last edited:
This is a battery installation issue and is the fault of whoever put in the replacement battery.

Back