TOYOTA COROLLA GEARBOX FAILURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was researching a possible Matrix/Vibe used purchase, I found the issue on the 5spds. Auto was more reliable for that generation. Also a cheaper fix was to swap in the 6spd manual from an XRS - for some reason those were much cheaper to find used and didn't suffer any early deaths.

2005 Corolla? What years would interchange? Paying a mechanic outside of a dealership should be what, $500 in labor? I don't think it took an hour to drop the transmission in my Jetta, even if it's four hours of labor plus a new clutch... Well, that's what a mechanic needed, me it'd take a week.

Originally Posted By: supton
Paying a mechanic outside of a dealership should be what, $500 in labor?

She was able to find another shop that has reasonable rates and wants to fix her trans. They shared my view that putting in a replacement trans is an exercise in futility as there is a high risk that it'll fail just the same way as her original trans.

Will know next week just how much fixing will be required.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
When I was researching a possible Matrix/Vibe used purchase, I found the issue on the 5spds. Auto was more reliable for that generation. Also a cheaper fix was to swap in the 6spd manual from an XRS - for some reason those were much cheaper to find used and didn't suffer any early deaths.

2003-2004? I took a quick look, but I'm not sure what the problem years are. I did find this link:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9t...rolla-also.html
which tries to blame infrequent lube changes as a (possible) cause.

I like rowing my own gears, but my Camry makes it feel so lackluster that I'm not sure I'd buy another Toyota with three pedals. Not saying I wouldn't but as I contemplate a Corolla I'm guessing I am "wanting" the more reliable auto.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
If you look at the forums this is a known issue that periodically strikes.

Right, so what is the recommended course of action? Getting a brand new gearbox would likely exceed the value of the car. Getting a used gearbox is risky as the issue may pop up again. Can the existing box be effectively fixed?

Get a reman with a warranty from Jasper or someone, doesn't need to be an OEM new Toyota unit to last the rest of the car's usable life. I doubt a reman would exceed the value of a 2005 Corolla unless the car is trashed otherwise.

Fixing things like transmissions kind of depends on finding someone who knows what they are doing. If the shop says they can't/won't replace bearings, it's probably for good reason. If you can find someone with a lot of experience with these transmissions, go for it. If they tell you up front they don't want to open the thing up though, they probably have good reasons.

I know a guy with a transmission shop who will rebuild the existing trans in my truck for cheaper than I can get a reman unit, but he knows small Ford RWD automatics very well and is comfortable with them. I would not go down to Aamco and tell them, "I want you to rebuild the trans I already have in there." Transmissions are not for everybody. Most any shop, including where I work, will throw them in, but just because someone can remove & install doesn't mean you want them opening the thing up.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
She was able to find another shop that has reasonable rates and wants to fix her trans. They shared my view that putting in a replacement trans is an exercise in futility as there is a high risk that it'll fail just the same way as her original trans.

Will know next week just how much fixing will be required.

Update:
Upon taking the trans apart, the shop concluded the trans is trashed beyond repair. They're going to source a re-manufactured trans instead.

What has not been mentioned is "driving style" in this tranny failure. Could there be the posibility that this factor may be involved? The OP does indicate a female driver, but this does not preclude the improper use of the clutch and gear changing skills. I bring this up as only another factor that could be considered. FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: tobysoph
2006 Corolla manual, 82000 kms, 50000 miles, engine serviced with synthetic oil every 5000 kms, Redline MT90 at 5000 kms and 50000 kms in gearbox. Input shaft bearing and oil seal just had to be replaced, out of warranty of course, 11 hours labour alone. Any thoughts if this failure just another example of Toyota poor build quality and poor components or could it be the Redline oil? Any thoughts, oh and I drive very gently.
Roger
The thing is, in Oz, you run them bottom side up. At least according to my globe
smile.gif
. No wonder the bearing is starved for oil.

For many years I coached various youth sports as my kids went through the programs. My favorite intro was always to tell them this was going to be no picnic and to prove it we would start with 50 pushups. Their little eyes would get big. Of course it was always Australian pushups. It was always a good stress breaker at the first practice. I saw a 31 year old at the parts store the other day. When he saw me he told his kid that I used to make him do 50 pushups at soccer practice. Fortunately, I was able to bring up his name. That is getting more and more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back