2009 Toyota Corolla Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased a used 2009 Toyota Corolla with only 12K miles on it at the time of purchase. It now has almost 14K miles on it. It still has the motor oil in it that it had when purchased (don't know what brand or type it is); that oil had recently been changed so my plan is to change it over to Amsoil 0W-20 when it reaches 15K miles.

My question about this vehicle is this: have any of you experienced water pump failures? I have read online that many 2009 Toyotas (and not just limited to Corollas but including Camrys also) had bad water pumps that often fail after less than 70K miles. Does this jive with your experiences? And what are the signs of impending water pump doom on these vehicles? A loud squeal? Or is it when coolant starts spewing all over under the hood? Or both? Consumer Reports data also show that these cars have worse than average cooling system issues for the 2009 model year.

This car is doing just fine so far, and I haven't seen any sign of the water pump going south, but it only has 14K miles! I am keeping an eye on the coolant level, though. Your thoughts?

Well, listen for squeal & look leaks!
I've had water pumps fail but, they always gave we their warnings when I've been paying attention...look & listen.

Also, keep the coolant FRESH, more often than not & use proper Toyota RED or PINK coolant...or ZEREX ASIAN or PEAK Global Lifetime.

Last edited:
just drive it and keep an eye on water pump leaks (if it worries you so much after reading them on the internet).

FACT is: water pump failures on corolla is not that common/frequent, period. You'll see/hear more of other makes suffering from frequent water pump failures than that of toy makes.

lastly: always go with Toy long life coolant (pink). the first round of coolant from assembly line is good for 10yrs, and afterwards: every 3yrs or so.

wifey's camry is 11 yrs old and still on factory coolant (210k).

Q.

p.s. enjoy your vehicle and stop worrying about those internet postings!!!!!!!

I have a 2010 with 125K miles and zero problems, but yes, there was an infant mortality WP problem for some on earlier years that seems to be fixed now. Certainly not everyone was affected.

Just check fluid level and color as you planned, and make sure you can see any leaks. If you park it on gravel you might need to create a light color flat "leak here" area. If it does happen and you catch it early it's really no problem.

On the 05 Matrix I noticed the level on the overflow coolant reservoir was on the low mark. Had the dealer top it off and a few thousand miles later it was on low again. This was right around the 60k mark. The dealer said the WP was leaking and they installed a new one. Covered under warranty since I first reported the issue prior to the warranty expiring. Just keep an eye on the coolant reservoir level. While you're under the hood check your other fluid levels.

Typically on the older Toyota 4 bangers the pump was changed with the timing belt at 90K. Perhaps you have a chain, though.

There is an updated waterpump that comes with longer bolts if yours fails. The pulley will wobble & leak coolant. Just keep an eye on the coolant level. The newer pump has a bigger housing & different pulley to clear the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back