Toyota 5w30 quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I saw a bottle of TGMO conventional oil, the bottle had the same shape as a bottle of Exxon Superflo.

Is your truck being given synthetic or conventional oil?

Anyway, if your truck is getting conventional oil changes, odds are that the oil comes from a bulk tank, and that tank could have just about any major brand of oil. Where I live, many places had Pennzoil, Fina, or Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: Arctic388
I know Toyota doesn't make it but when researching their labeled 0w20 it was at the top of the list for quality. just wondered how the 5w30 compared.

I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion.
Either of the M1 0W-20 grade oils have a high Grp IV content, while TGMO is mostly Grp III.
This matters in that the M1 oils in this grade have notably better low temperature performance than does TGMO.
I found a case of TGMO 0W-20 at a good price and bought it because I wanted to try it.
If I had known a year ago what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered, although for the $3.63/qt I paid for it, it's not as though I paid more than the oil is worth.

You don't need 5W-30 unless you're below 0*F and you don't need 0W-20 unless you're below -20*F.

Don't believe me?

Take a clear glass jar and fill it up 1/2 way with 10W-30 and put it next to your computer. Shake it around a little bit. See how well it flows!?!?

Dat be some good flowin' oil!
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I know Toyota doesn't make it but when researching their labeled 0w20 it was at the top of the list for quality. just wondered how the 5w30 compared.

I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion.
Either of the M1 0W-20 grade oils have a high Grp IV content, while TGMO is mostly Grp III.
This matters in that the M1 oils in this grade have notably better low temperature performance than does TGMO.
I found a case of TGMO 0W-20 at a good price and bought it because I wanted to try it.
If I had known a year ago what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered, although for the $3.63/qt I paid for it, it's not as though I paid more than the oil is worth.

I studied BITOG for years and based on VOA and UOA posted that is what i based my opinion on TGMO 0w20 being the top of my list at the time. i did not see the statements you just said when i was researching back in 2013. maybe i just missed it.

i'm at the point now where i am just going to let them use whatever they use since i have 5 years 60K miles included maintenance not really much i cant do about it. also really don't think i will have the truck that long anyways. my first fill up i got 18.7mpg and second i got 16.7. this truck really needs a 6 speed trans and i'm sure the 2016 will have one.

I understand perfectly.
2013 was the heart of the TGMO 0W-20 hype era, with one member in particular seemingly promoting it as the answer to every lubrication need, what with the high VI, don't you know.
I wanted to try some based merely upon the heavy love the oil had here for a while.
You are right, though, in that there are plenty of nice looking UOAs with this oil, as there are with most other synthetics.

TGMO oil MSDS' are listed on Mobil 1s website, which leads me to believe that maybe TGMO is produced/licensed by M1? Check it out for yourself.

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
TGMO oil MSDS' are listed on Mobil 1s website, which leads me to believe that maybe TGMO is produced/licensed by M1? Check it out for yourself.

M1 is a brand.
XOM is the blender of M1 oils and XOM does indeed produce TGMO oils.
Any similarity between the two ends there.

well this thread was all for naught. I traded the truck at 1100 miles. now have to learn about Dexos oil. lol

2015 GMC Sierra Z71 is my new chariot.

Thank you. You allow dealers to sell loss leaders to cheap folk like me.

Come on man !! Doggone. No consistency ! Glad you got a new truck. And BTW.. Dexos is really not too involved. You will be fine
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back