toyota 1.8 engine oil fill questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Chevy Prizm with the 1.8 toyota engine, I've never worked on a toyota engine. Today I changed the oil on the car for the first time, everything went smoothly until I took off the oil cap to pour the new oil in, to my suprise there isn't just a hole you pour oil into the engine but there is a piece of metal inside the hole and it took forever to pour oil into the engine, I had to pour it very slowly and wait for it drain around the metal and into the engine. Is this normal with this engine? Why is there metal directly across under the fill hole? I've never seen this before. By the way the dealer put (5) quarts of oil in the car (I have the paperwork), I only put about 400 miles on it before I changed it and put in the correct 3.9 quarts with filter..any possible engine damage? Thanks for the help.

Not sure about the metal across the fill hole.

over by 1.1 quarts is not a cause for concern. 10.1 quarts over you might have a problem

I had a 1993 Corolla and IIRC, it had the same design. The "metal" lip covered about half the fill hole. My 1.8 2zzge is the same way. I just use a small hole funnel and pour slowly.

Thanks wantin150, that metal lip makes it hard to fill, I do have a small funnel but I still had to pour pretty slowly to avoid a mess, I just wonder what the metal lip is for?

It is a baffle all Toyota's have a baffle in the vavle cover....THe older ones did not interfer with filling like the newer ones do! Becareful adding oil you can press down to hard on the baffle and push it into the valve train. I am not a huge fan of baffles... Usualy when the valve cover gasket fails or the RTV fails I cut part of the baffle away to make filling easier you just have to make sure you flush the valve cover very well to get rid of any particles etc.....I do not use a funnel I just pour slowly.I cannot belive you guy's have never seen a baffle in a valve cover before!

I've changed oil on a number of Toyotas (none mine, engines include: 1.8, 2.2, 4.5) from the early to late '90s and they all had this baffling pest in the filler hole. I supposed it was to reduce the chance of someone dropping a tool down there.
wink.gif
Or maybe it was to cause some back pain as you have to fill it so slowly, or maybe filling it too fast would cause some special Toyota problem. Except that Toyotas are problem-free. Just kidding here...

with my 98 corolla and 99 camry I dont recall seeing the "baffle". or maybe it was there and it wasnt a problem with me, cant remember

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll just get used to pouring "slowly" when refilling the crankcase. I now understand the "baffle".

I have a 2006 Corolla with the same engine and it has the "baffle". It was suggested to me that it might be a splash guard but I really don't know what it's for .....

Lift the funnel up.... as suggested. Notice how the baffle conveniently prevents people's fingers from touching moving parts?

On my F-150 (i-6)the oil cap is on the end of a 1"-2" "tower" mounted to the valve cover; older models just had the oil cap in the valve cover enabling you to touch the rocker arms as the engine was running.

My 22REC Toy Truck (85) had a cast cover and yep, there was a step in the hole, so to speak. The MIL's V6 Avalon has a crinkle baffle....Me? I like to see my cam shaft when I play with it.

I was curious about this baffle as well and think that preservation of your digits does make the most sense. Lifting the funnel is a pain in the A$$, but enough people, apparently, mangled their fingers to warrant this?? I too had a Ford and that extension was on mine as well as one on the 3.8 GM motor. At first I thought it was to prevent oil from seaping out fill hole but thats not likely. Does make adding oil in cold temps frustating though.

I guess I must be lucky..

Here is a photo of the baffle on a 1ZZFE for folks watching;

img1238oq2.jpg

I've changed oil about 20 times now with my engine and never had to wait for oil to flow through the funnel. I put the funnel in the filler and pour oil from the bottle.

Maybe getting a funnel that works correctly would be in order?
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

Nice photo, Bill. Looks like Toyota changed the baffle design - on the engines I've seen it solidly covers half the fill hole on one side, like it is molded into the valve cover.

I never use a funnel for engine oil, don't want to add dust, and I rarely miss.
wink.gif

I like the explanation that it prevents someone from sticking in their finger while the engine is running with a potentially tragic result.

Changed the oil today, noticed the baffle but like Bill said, I did not have to wait for the funnel to drain.

I would suspect the baffle is to keep big heavy metal oil guns from getting slammed against the gears/valves.

My accord and my jetta both had them. My Mazda does not.

Personally i kinda like being able to see down in their
wink.gif

actually I dropped the cap from a quart bottle down the funnel and it would have wound up in there had it not been for the funnel or the baffle but I would have been able to get it out regardless if the baffle was there or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back