Tough day tomorrow, sad trip to the vet

This is sneaking up on me as well, I couldn't follow through with it almost a month ago, I just couldn't do it.

My newfie is 13 on the 15th of November. These are dog whose lifespan is normally around 9 years, so he's well past that. Over the last year he started having problems with his back end, loss of control and then muscle. So, he can't walk without somebody holding up his back end. It's brutal, because he's huge.

I took him into the vet, she was shocked he was still alive, but he got a clean bill of health.... Said despite the lack of mobility, he wasn't in any sort of pain and seemed alert and healthy. Then suggested we have him put down. How the hell do you reconcile those two statements??!!! Needless to say, I absolutely couldn't, and she understood.

So, he's at home, not mobile (mind you, he hasn't been very active for the past several years, these dogs are lazy) without assistance, and I'm dreading having to make that same call you have made, but I know it's coming.

Ugh.

Anyways, I feel your pain, it's absolutely heart-wrenching.

I hate to hear that you have to do this. I have gone through this decision twice with Alby (Boxer / Black Lab mix) and then six years later with Kiwi (ACD) and both times I was a grown man reduced to crying like a child. It is truly, as OVERKILL said, heart-wrenching.
My condolences to your Family. Let the many happy memories help you get through this tough time.

They know more and understand more than we realize. They sense our anguish and will do anything and everything to comfort us, even at great personal pain to them.

To the OP, it's tough. Probably one of the toughest decisions in life, but really, when nothing can be done it is the wisest. It's worse to let them suffer and deteriorate further.

I feel as though I abandoned mine because I was selfish and just couldn't go back in "the room" with him. I had spent all day at home with him and I don't know how long at vet with him in the room where they let you be alone. I pet him and talked to him, and then finally called the vet in, and she and her assistant come and took Scamper. I was asked if wanted to go back there, and I said "no." This was his regular vet, and she loved him as much as I did, so I know he was people that loved him and cared.

Later that night, I was awakened by a bark. It was as if he was saying he's okay. That may seem odd, but I absolutely believe in such things.

I still to this day (and this happened in Nov 2008) feel badly, like I abandoned him when he was relying on me most. But yet, I also believe he knows and understands. I know it's weird but that's how I feel.

Back