to change trans fluid in the dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is this gonna be just like the Focus where we have three or four threads a week on it ?
grin2.gif

At least... if not more.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
oh my...makes me wonder about the 6-speed automatic on my '15 Patriot; it is manufactured in Korea...?? Hyundai/Kia ?? guess I should start shopping for a replacment transmission before I hit 10,000-15,000 miles

wink.gif

It uses a Hyundai/Mitsuibishi/Chrysler engine in addition to the Hyundi/Kia transmission

Luckily, Hyundai and Kia can make an automatic transmission a bit better than Chrysler would

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
+1 for leaving it.

Wait until you have 25k - 30k miles on it.

+2 800mi is way to soon to be preoccupied about transmission oil. Most people never even change the fluid in stick shift transmissions until the clutch fails.

I'd wait 30k miles.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
It amazes me how some people bash Chrysler my family has had the best luck for 50 years with Mopar vehicles

That's what I notice about Mopars even though I bash their quality and tendency to be "cheap", but really if you address the things accounting made cheap on them(body modules/power management modules, tranny fluid, suspension), they are actually decent cars.

Personally, I'd wait a little while until the 30K mark. If anything, Mopar probably used some exotic Shell/Mobil/Castrol/Pentosin/Agip fill in it - just like how the new ZF 8/9 speeds call for ZF LifeGuard 8 fluid.

DCTs will always have a little "jerk" to them, I drove a Ford Focus from Zipcar and it felt how a DCT feels. They don't have a torque converter.

Last edited:
Dart manual specs this:
We recommend you use MOPAR® C Series Manual & Dual Dry Clutch Transmission Fluid.
Drive it until broken in, and if you still feel the need to change it, see what owners on the Dart forum are switching to.

I ask because after the car sits over night the first couple shifts are not as smooth. I figured the oil was running off the gear and thus causing a "drier shift" and an oil with better clinging properties would work better. I'm in no rush. And i own 3 chryslers then pt has 67,000 miles the ram has 185,000 and the dart 800 the first two are automatics and one the "ram" has a bad reputation for issues. Guess what never a single problem.. adjust the band's and change fluid ahen needed and theyre all fine. Go figure..... but wait chryslers are junk.....right......

You have a good car there, enjoy it and save the fluid changes for after you get some miles on it. Until then...
19.gif

Personally I'd wait until 5-10k miles then change it with OE fluid, unless it's really notchy or something to that effect. After the 5-10k change, leave it in there for 30k if it's an ATF type fluid. (or until it gets notchy). If it's a gear specific lube, then leave it in there longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Finding a good GL4 is tough - Subaru MT fluid is supposed to be great. I

It isn't in Europe. Just in North America.

If you look at the choices in Europe there are literally dozens of them even if you just chose GL-4 ONLY.

I hear great things about Castrol Syntrans products as well as
Shell spirax s6 gxme

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
+1 for leaving it.

Wait until you have 25k - 30k miles on it.
25,000 to 30,000 miles with all the break in wear polluting the oil?

It amazes me how some people bash Chrysler my family has had the best luck for 50 years with Mopar vehicles

then your family are some of the luckiest people on the planet.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

then your family are some of the luckiest people on the planet.

Or maybe people like to bash chrysler just because the media does it and have brain washed everyone in to believing they are junk? Examples chrysler built one really bad transmission and it isnt even as bad as folks make it sound but it is weak. Ok ford has tons of transmissions that are junk the ax4s and ax4n the fusion valve bodies the escape transmission have issues as well nobody says ford builds a junk trans. Honda has built several junk transmissions but all the reviews still say that they are absolutely great cars........on one of the car review videos forget who did. They did the review of thr dart and said it had questionable quality because the rear door handle broke......i have yet to see or hear anybody in person or on the dart forum break a door handle. I honestly think they just like to pick on chrysler because its become easy to do.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
oh my...makes me wonder about the 6-speed automatic on my '15 Patriot; it is manufactured in Korea...?? Hyundai/Kia ?? guess I should start shopping for a replacment transmission before I hit 10,000-15,000 miles

wink.gif

yes, hyundai transmission.

I ask because after the car sits over night the first couple shifts are not as smooth. I figured the oil was running off the gear and thus causing a "drier shift" and an oil with better clinging properties would work better. I'm in no rush. And i own 3 chryslers then pt has 67,000 miles the ram has 185,000 and the dart 800 the first two are automatics and one the "ram" has a bad reputation for issues. Guess what never a single problem.. adjust the band's and change fluid ahen needed and theyre all fine. Go figure..... but wait chryslers are junk.....right......

Is it the fiat C635 gearbox? From the notchiness and difficulty selecting gears after a cold start I believe it could be.

The original fluid (in Europe) in that box is Tutela Transmission Gearforce. It's a 75W oil, around 7 cSt at 212°F. It's filled for life.

People over here have been changing the oil to Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle GL-4 75W90 and this improved the shifting no end for 95% of people. Just use 2 whole quart bottles (or litres) although the box calls for 1.87 litres to fill.

the notchiness will not improve by itself

Last edited:
What about Amsoil Synchromesh? That worked miracles for the Opel-built transmission in my Cruze. It shifted noticeably better and crisper than the cheap OEM fluid. It's roughly a 70w-80 GL4 gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back