Titan OEM replacement? (Oddball size)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am wondering what I should replace the OEM 17" inch tires on my Titan with when the time comes. The truck has 22,500 miles on it now and I figure these tires will be used up within the next 10,000 miles.

The OEM tire is an oddball size...245/75R17. It's a Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 II.

The Tire Rack only shows 2 tires in this size, the OEM tire I have now and a Continental ContiTrac All-Season which I am lukewarm about.

I looked at the specs for this tire. It seems that it's 31.8 inches in diameter, roughly the same as a 265/70R17. Does anyone think this would be a good replacement size? That would open up a lot more options to me.

Why would I do that? I don't haul anything other than my own backside. I don't tow anything either. I am not getting anything with a D or E load rating. My choice will be biased toward ride quality and mileage.

man they gave you some crapo tires.

The OE BFG ATs that came OE on my 98 chevy S10 ZR2 had over 50% tread left when I put new ones on at ~50k. The only reason for changine was number of years on the tires, and the fact that one was plugged.

See if you can get BFG AT tires... I really like them, and the KO version is better tan the old version that I had on as OE fit.

JMH

I agree with the bridgestone oe 693II being crappy, they are also a p metric tire. The bfg at is a lt tire, they will give a longer wear life, as they can handle the weight and handling of a truck in day to day driving. I was just giving an honest oppinion based on past exereiences.

Interesting... I dodnt realize that there was much difference in the way a p vs lt ofthe same tire lasts.... I have 'floatation' size tire (I think theyre called that), 31x10.5r15, but I guess they are technically LT tires.

Good info, thanks for sharing!

JMH

You guys aren't listening. This is a 4x2 truck and I want QUIET tires. I am not considering the BFG or any LT rated tires. It is used as a CITY COMMUTER. It never goes offroad or hauls anything heavier than a bicycle or a lawnmower. I have never towed anything either with it. There are Civics that probably have harder lives.

*sigh*

Maybe I'll consider the Michelin LTX M/S. It comes in 265/70R17 and is listed at 31.8" diameter, same as the stock tires. A lot of people have them on Tahoes and Expeditions, so they must be quiet.

Brons2, the Michelin LTX M/S tires are very good for your needs. I have had two sets of those, and I am very picky about my tires. They are very good . . . but they are pricey. If you watch for sales at Sears, look for the Michelin XC/LT4. It is the same tire but re-named for Sears. You can save $200+ in this way. Bridgestone Deuler H/T Alenzas are also very good tires from what I've heard, but make sure you look at/buy the Alenzas. The original Deuler H/T was not a very good tire. A plus side is that if you go to a Firestone (Bridgestone) dealer, especially toward the end of the month, the sales people will throw you very good deals on a set of 4 in order to reach their monthly sales goals. My recommendation is to go in sometime during the third week of the month.
The GoodYear Fortera SilentArmor tires are also good tires. They came on our new Trailblazer patrol vehicle, and are performing well. I just don't know how to get any good deals on those . . .

Sorry, I saw the all terrain that come factory and thought you were repacing with the same type. The firestone destination le is a great tire all season tire with great tread wear and a better bargain than the michelin, or the bridgestone. Once again sorry about the confusion.

OK so you got a fashion statement truck then...

That being the case, I suggest 22's with some real low profile tires... brand doesnt matter, its all about the bling
wink.gif

JMH

I do not consider my LTX M/S all that quiet (but that is not an issue for me). I would think the Destination LE would suit your needs better, though nothing appears to wear like the LTX M/S. This truck looks like it sees a passenger cars life, so you might as well get closer to a passenger tire for your truck, i.e. the Destination LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back