tire wear numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those wear numbers can only be compared within tires made by the same company, because each company uses a different rating system. So a tire rated at 300 by Goodyear might wear out quicker than a tire rated at 300 by Michelin for example.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Those wear numbers can only be compared within tires made by the same company, because each company uses a different rating system.

...Not according to the NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/UTQG/

They 'claim' it's a US Gov't standard test. I will agree that in practice these standardized tests never work quite right (case in point-- avg fuel economy) but it gets it in the ballpark.

So yes, the UTQG enables a consumer to compare similarly performing tyres. a 360 won't always wear the same as other 360s, but it will wear much better than a 150..

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:
-*-*So yes, the UTQG enables a consumer to compare similarly performing tyres. a 360 won't always wear the same as other 360s, but it will wear much better than a 150..

ferb!

True, IMO I thing some are MORE honest.
The ones that dont wear as good will IF you keep the tires perfect, and alignment, the others I think take in consideration for the average JOE, and those I get Better... Just a theory.

But yes the 440 is going to wear about 2.5-3, average 2.75 times longer as the 160's
There is a formuala and some tires even have the formula on it, I saw one a few weeks ago getting my alignment.

I think mine are 400's or 420's, I try never to buy anything less than 400. I like traction A but sometimes on MFG will get B and like a temp of A if it is cheap but usually get a B

Ooopps
almost forgot
I think anything over 400 is in the 50-60K range

"But yes the 440 is going to wear about 2.5-3, average 2.75 times longer as the 160's
There is a formuala and some tires even have the formula on it, I saw one a few weeks ago getting my alignment."

That's odd. Because the 440 rated tires on my Saturn will need to be replaced at about 30K while the 160 rated tires on my nissan seem like they are going to go to at least 50K. I rotate the tires every 8K miles on each car and wear is even on all tires and across each tire. I thought the lower the number...the better wear mileage out of the tire.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
"But yes the 440 is going to wear about 2.5-3, average 2.75 times longer as the 160's
There is a formuala and some tires even have the formula on it, I saw one a few weeks ago getting my alignment."

That's odd. Because the 440 rated tires on my Saturn will need to be replaced at about 30K while the 160 rated tires on my nissan seem like they are going to go to at least 50K. I rotate the tires every 8K miles on each car and wear is even on all tires and across each tire. I thought the lower the number...the better wear mileage out of the tire.
dunno.gif

WOW...
Well the larger number IS suppose to be more miles.
But you never know, I had one set of tires that could not be rotated and went several HUNDRED K, yes, not possible, but did.

The treadwear # is always something to consider when shopping for a tire. A higher # is certainly more desireable. However the two letter designations that follow should not be overlooked. The 2nd rating (traction) is an A,B,or C rating...."A" being the best. The 3rd rating (Temp) is the one that many consider to be the most important. The heat rating (resistance to wear due to heat) is also an A, B or C. An "A" rating will add many miles to the life of the tire.

[ December 26, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Mazatrol ]

My Goodyear RS-As are rated 260/A/A and have lasted a tick over 50k. They're pretty much worthless for grip (but they've always been lacking like that).

ferb!

edit: correction of information

[ December 26, 2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Ferb ]

Based on personal experience, the number is of very limited use. I've had 400s wear out as fast as 220s, and 160s last way longer than anything else...

quote:

These tests are conducted INDEPENDANTLY by each manufacturer following government guidelines to assign values that represent a comparison between the tested tire and a control tire

quote:

the treadwear ratings are ASSIGNED BY THE MANUFACTURERS following field testing and are most accurate when comparing tires of the same brand.

The treadwear number at best gives you a VERY approximate idea of compound softness and expected mileage.

...And it has become a marketing tool for tiremakers. Customer is at shop looking at what appear to be to very similar tires. Both are about the same price, but one has a higher treadwear rating. Which one do you think most customers buy? Consequently, treadwear numbers are creeping up and up, but are they "truthful"?

A couple of thoughts:

First is that how and where you drive can have a major effect on tire wear. I use a gauge I call "turns per mile" to get a feel for the differences in people's driving habits, since most tire wear occurs under the cornering mode. I have seen complete reversals in wearout mileage as judged by UTQG ratings, and the difference was the "Turns per mile".

I have experienced some reversals in treadwear due to the road surface, meaning that tread compounds interact with the road surface in different ways.

BTW, the UTQG temperature rating is a step speed test and has nothing to do with treadwear.
Hope this helps

From Goodyear's website:
"Note: Tread wear grades are valid only for comparisons within a manufacturer's product line . They are not valid for comparisons between manufacturers."

The Traction & Temperature ratings, however, are comparable across different brands.

I guess i can agree that tirewear numbers in a single product line will be more closely related.

But why doesn't Goodyear also list the AA rating for traction?

ferb!

Because the RS-A does not have AA traction. Goodeyear F1 does, IIRC.

Also, this traction rating (B, A, AA) refers to wet traction, not dry traction.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Because the RS-A does not have AA traction. Goodeyear F1 does, IIRC.

Also, this traction rating (B, A, AA) refers to wet traction, not dry traction.

I wasn't referring to my tires. I know they're A's.

But according to this Goodyear page, traction is only A, B or C. No AA.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/kyt/readingATire/utqg.html

So.. since they don't seem to keep up with current designations, are they really correct about saying "only compare tirewear numbers within product lines"?

ferb!

Oh, I see what you're saying. But their statement about the treadwear is correct, IMO.

The reason why you can't directly compare treadwear numbers of tires from different manufacturers is that there is no one single government reference tire with a treadwear of 100 to which all others compare. Each tire manufacturer selects one of their own tires and assigns it an index of 100 after testing on this government course. Then they test their other tires on this course and compare treadwear to their own reference point.

But I also agree with your earlier statment: While it is not a perfect comparison betw. tires from different manufacturers, it gets you in the ballpark, more or less. Besides, driving patterns/habits, road surfaces, ambient outside temperatures, and vehicle weight all have a huge effect on tire wear making any kind of total mileage predictions nearly impossible to gauge. Another words, YMMV.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
From Goodyear's website:
"Note: Tread wear grades are valid only for comparisons within a manufacturer's product line . They are not valid for comparisons between manufacturers."

The Traction & Temperature ratings, however, are comparable across different brands.

Hey, two can play....
"A tire graded 200 would wear twice as long on the government test track as one graded 100. Your actual tire mileage depends upon the conditions of their use and may vary due to driving habits, service practices, differences in road characteristics and climate."
The higher number sill means a longer potential of life! And I don't think likely the "Government" would allow TWO MFG ie one at 400 and anothr at 160, to wear TOO much under their "posted" rating... all things being equal.

Yes, though as I think I stated, that if you were to, properly inflate, etc., then you will get the milage as presented... AND that some MFG may... just a little over or under STATE the truth... for appearances... Just like with oil or grease.

is it the MINIMUM Temp or the Mean or the MAXimum we are comparing...

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
*-*- While it is not a perfect comparison betw. tires from different manufacturers, it gets you in the ballpark, more or less.-**-

Has too. They can't have some person call a fruit a veggie and another call a grain a veggie. But they can all have their own different veggie and still call IT a veggie.
Oh, I'm hungry!

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
Can someone explain to me the tire wear numbers found on the side of tire. The number on my saturn tire is 440 and the number on my Sentra tire is 160. Thanks.

Most car & truck tires are in the 200-400 range of treadwear. Autocross "R" compounds are under 100 but stick to the road like glue. Anything over 400 is a "high mileage" tire that probably sacrifices some traction performance.

Heavier cars wear out tires faster. Front wheel drive cars wear out tires faster. Aggressive driving wears out tires faster. Alignment will wear out tires faster if it's not set correctly.

If you're buying a 440 tire, then you probably want it to last. If so, you should get a 4 wheel alignment and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles.

Believe it or not, some of my sports car racing friends and I have preferred tires with LOW treadwear numbers for our daily driver rides. Such tires usually, but not always, have better dry grip, as suggested by MRC01. Other people (meaning "normal" people who weren't dropped on their heads as infants) would do well to look for a high number and long treadwear. Some of the best designs offer both high treadwear and decent grip/performance. But often, low treadwear = "sticky" tires, and vice-versa.

[ December 29, 2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back