Tire Recommendations 2004 Nissan Sentra

My 2004 Nissan Sentra tires have dry rotted and starting to split at sidewall.
I am sure they were cheap tires to begin with and being 10 years they are a hazard now. Yokohama Tornate. Tread still looks like new, but dry rot separation is clearly a problem. A good example of how tread depth is only a small consideration of life left in a tire.

2024-05-04 16.06.34.jpg

2024-05-04 16.07.05.jpg

This will be my son's 1st car, so I need it to be safe and dependable.
If this were for an SUV, I am confident I would select the Michelin Defender LTX MS. I have those now and they are great tires.
Also trying to chase down vibration issues...I am sure these are contributing to that.

Fronts are Sailun's, but not as dry-rotted, but still 7 years old, so I should replace them all. I do feel like I have vibration from the front driver's side. (Sailun's on the fronts)
2024-05-04 16.07.39.jpg

I have no experience what is a good tire for a small car.
Any advice or opinions?

Goodyears? Michelin, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone?

Last edited:
Kuhmo lx platinum Walmart online. Great friendly budget tire that will do fantastic in Florida for the same price as some unknown brand tire. Not snow friendly but irrelevant since you're in Florida. I have two sets on two cars. One set I just removed from my daughter college car after 45k miles minimal rotations and still not hitting the wear bars. Picture from 45k removal. My tire installer said probably another 10k miles before it hit the wear bars. No flats no issues in rain. Nice n quiet a plus for a thin insulated Sentra

IMG_20240428_103154759.jpg

Last edited:
A few years back, I gave my son my 2006 Sentra, so he could go off to college. We put a new pair of General Altimax RT43's on it (now discontinued, replaced by RT45's) and they served him very well. I selected those tires after a significant amount of research, and we weren't dissapointed.

The Kumho LX Platinum would serve you well. I have these tires on my Golf. If you needed a little better traction, the Kumho TA-51a's are excellent. I really like these tires on my Protege. If you purchase from Direct Tire, they will (at least here in Va.) price match Walmart and being a AAA member an additional discount.

In Florida, you don't need all-season tires, so for you, the best choice is the Goodyear EfficientGrip

Otherwise, either the Kumho LX Platinum or the Douglas from Walmart.
Couldn't find the Goodyear EfficientGrip in my size locally.
I did find that Sam's has Goodyear Eagle RS-A for 371.00 installed. I ordered them on impulse since sale ends today and I like the Goodyear name in general. I have had a set of Endurance on my cargo trailer forever and they won't quit. I am not sure if I can return the Eagles or not. They are special order, but I do not pay for them until they arrive.
I like the Sam's install package with the lifetime balance and rotation, but they do not sell Kumhos.
Price is good on the Goodyears but I read some older reviews that they are not so good on wet roads. Most reviews seem to be with RWD vehicles and reviews are years old.
While doing some quick researching before ordering, the manufacturer claimed they are designed to shed water and prevent hydroplaning.
Also read police cars use them...if that is true, how bad could they be?

Seems to be a lot of support here for the Walmart Kumhos. I would be willing to consider cancelling my Goodyear order and considering Kumho's if the Goodyears are that bad with FWD vehicle in the rain...last thing I need is a new driver hydroplaning on Florda wet roads and/or at highway speeds in the rain...there is a lot of that coming soon.
I am also hoping that the Kumho recommendations are not because they are a good inexpensive value tire. Price is not as much of an issue as dependability, quiet ride and wet and dry handling and longevity for Florida climate. Safety is first priority. A couple hundred bucks one way or another for tires that should last for at least a few years does not break the bank.

I did find that Sam's has Goodyear Eagle RS-A for 371.00 installed. I ordered them on impulse since sale ends today and I like the Goodyear name in general. I have had a set of Endurance on my cargo trailer forever and they won't quit. I am not sure if I can return the Eagles or not. They are special order, but I do not pay for them until they arrive.
I like the Sam's install package with the lifetime balance and rotation, but they do not sell Kumhos.
Price is good on the Goodyears but I read some older reviews that they are not so good on wet roads. Most reviews seem to be with RWD vehicles and reviews are years old.
While doing some quick researching before ordering, the manufacturer claimed they are designed to shed water and prevent hydroplaning.

Seems to be a lot of support here for the Walmart Kumhos. I would be willing to consider cancelling my Goodyear order and considering Kumho's if the Goodyears are that bad with FWD vehicle in the rain...last thing I need is a new driver hydroplaning on Florda wet roads and/or at highway speeds in the rain...there is a lot of that coming soon.
I am also hoping that the Kumho recommendations are not because they are a good inexpensive value tire. Price is not as much of an issue as dependability, quiet ride and wet and dry handling and longevity for Florida climate. Safety is first priority. A couple hundred bucks one way or another for tires that should last for at least a few years does not break the bank.
that's not horrible pricing.. does sam's offer a road hazard program?

Our Goodyear sells tons of the Goodyear Endurance ST’s to farmers and ranchers here …

Kuhmo lx platinum Walmart online. Great friendly budget tire that will do fantastic in Florida for the same price as some unknown brand tire. Not snow friendly but irrelevant since you're in Florida. I have two sets on two cars. One set I just removed from my daughter college car after 45k miles minimal rotations and still not hitting the wear bars. Picture from 45k removal. My tire installer said probably another 10k miles before it hit the wear bars. No flats no issues in rain. Nice n quiet a plus for a thin insulated Sentra

View attachment 217732
I got excited, went and looked, and this tire isn't offered in the size for my wife's car. Disappointing, it's a good looking tire. And the price/specs seemed good.

Yes, part of my process in picking tires involves looks. Not the top priority, but it's in the list of priorities. Just like picking shoes for myself. Lol.

I think you need to rethink the Goodyear RSA the first year of production was 2004 without any changes of tread pattern. I had them on my Olds Aurora OE tire not memorable. Read the track test on Tire rack.com on the Goodyear RSA not impressive 20 years ago

Returned Goodyears. Thanks for saving me on those. Went with Michelin Defender TH instead. I have the LTX MS on my Suburban and those are great Florida tires, so figured I can't go wrong with the Michelins. Good overall reviews and high scores compared to other brands.
70.00 off and free install at Sam's.
Kuhmos would have been my second choice if not for the Michelin promotion

Back