Tire Shine Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a tire shine product that was on sale. I had previously used one of the foaming tire shine products which also worked well. My concern is that this new product lists acetone as an ingredient which I assume is a carrier. In my experience acetone is extremly drying and I was wondering if it could lead to a problem using this on the rubber for an extended period of time?

The chemical problem with tire shines is that they can extract the anti-ozone waxes that are part of a good tire rubber formulation. These waxes are added during compounding of the rubber and work by slowly migrating to the surface where they help to prevent ozone from attacking the rubber and causing cracks. Tire shines can dissolve this surface layer and even pull the wax from inside the tire rendering the rubber less able to resist ozone cracking. I would think acetone would only exacerbate this. I believe it was Michelin (?) that was running tests on cracked sidewalls returned under warranty to see if Armal All had been used. If it was, warranty coverage was denied.

If you are very concerned Michelin actually makes a tire shine product:

http://www.x1r.com/michelin2.htm

I use black magic probably twice a year. I never notice a difference between the cracking on the inside and outside of my tires. Maybe I just don't use enough but I think the concerns are overdone around here.

I rarely use tire dressings because of the issues with them. But I do have a few bottles of the Michelin-branded stuff, and use that on the few times that I do want the tires shiny.

I generally prefer "clean and dry". Michelin's sidewall compounds have somewhat of a glossy/shiny appearance anyway.

I've been using Meguiars Tire Gel for YEARS, re-applying it weekly after every car wash to give a nice shine to the rubber. I've had zero issues with cracking rubber.

The stuff sticks so well that it doesn't sling off either, covering half the car with splatter. It even withstands light rain. I love it! I use it on all my cars and cars i detail.

I've also been using Meguiars Endurance. No issues with it yet but then again, the tires are still new. The back of the bottle says that it provides UV protection which is good because I park my car outside.

I use stoners more shine. It's generally well-regarded on detailing forums, it's cheap, and available over the counter most places. 303 is also great but too expensive for my tires. I reserve 303 for spots that last longer like the engine bay. There are plenty of good tire dressings that won't ruin tires. Just make sure you use a dressing that is petroleum-free.

I use Optimum opti-bond, and it is actually a rubber protectant. The stuff lasts at least a week if there is no rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back