Tire Review-AltiMAX RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Char Baby, do you generally have to bargain with online vendors on tire prices? I've never found online tire buying to be cheaper. In fact, it's often significantly more expensive, at least in my experience.

As an example, I'm considering the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 for our CR-V in the spring. Tire Rack sells these for $137 each. Add shipping, and I'm looking at $611, and that's just to get them to my door. I then have to carry them somewhere and have them installed, which will be another $40 at the bare minimum.

My local Firestone Complete Auto Care will install 'em for, quite literally, the same price ($610.88). The info is right on their website. Plus, I wouldn't have to face the decision to mail a tire here or there if I happen to get a bad one...my local Firestone dealer would have me covered.

I've just never seen the value in buying tires online. For one, I've never found them cheaper to begin with, but when you factor in the potential need of after-the-sale service, I think I'd find that frustrating dealing with either an online dealer or the tire manufacturer directly.

No, I don't typically need to negotiate with online tire stores. Tire Rack won't bargain but DTD & TD will...just a little bit!

Yes, as I stated, I save between $120-$150 on a set of 4 tires shipped from where ever I buy online and installed at Walmart*...W*M Installation; Mounted/Balanced(lifetime balance & rotation), old tires disposed of w/o NY State disposal fee(which would be $10), valve stems...$16.99/ea Plus Tax, $73.40 OTD.

Also, I buy tires when the online stores are offering their most discounts/double rebates around the holidays(Memorial Day, 4th of July, Black Friday etc.) Discount Tire Direct mainly.

And too, I look for tires that are held in high regard, score/rated higher, customer reviews, etc. Bridgestone doesn't seem to offer anything special for pricing(in my budget) online.

Have you tried DiscountTireDirect or TreadDepot? It's probably not much different because Bridgestone are a bit higher in price that I buy. I try to stay +/- $100/tire and then, several rebates to boot!
laugh.gif

I often receive $120-$170 in rebates which, reflect on my total price! BUYING a the right time is also the key! Because to just jump into a tire website and pay their everyday price doesn't save a whole lot of money in many cases, depending on the tire.

Bridgestone/Firestone tires here locally are also about the same price installed at the local Firestone Tire Center, as compared to buying online...IDKY!

Also, my shipping from the tire rack is about $10 cheaper(insignificant) to my zip than to your zip. When comparing tire for tire(brand/size/spd rating), I save the money mentioned.

And, other than W*M for installation, the other tire shops charge a ton of money(upwards toward $40/tire) compared to W*M.

And I never buy Road Hazard Warranty(RHW). I have never needed it in 45 + years of driving. If I have to eat the cost of a tire one in my life, I'll do so!

All of these factors cost money and we never get to use the benefit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Have you tried DiscountTireDirect or TreadDepot? It's probably not much different because Bridgestone are a bit higher in price that I buy. I try to stay +/- $100/tire and then, several rebates to boot!
laugh.gif

I have. Taking the General AltiMax RT43 as an example, which is another tire I'm considering, here are my online options...

Tire Rack: $124 each, to my door
DT Direct: $121 each, to my door
TireBuyer: $116 each, to my door

The absolute cheapest "all in" price, including at least $40 for installation, would be $504 plus taxes.

Meanwhile, Sears has the RT43s for $101 each, and I'd be installed, our the door, for $475.80, plus tax.

I'd save at least 30 bucks buying locally. Not a huge savings, no. But certainly not more expensive. And it comes with after-the-sale support if you need it...such as if you get a tire that doesn't balance right, slips a belt later on in life, etc.

Yeah, I just don't have those local tire price here in Rochester or surrounding areas. Those are good prices in your area and I would buy locally too.

I have bought locally and will again on certain tires but, most of the tires I can get at better local prices are tires I don't really want.

The RT43's in my size/installed and in my area, were higher as mentioned earlier. Same with the Pirelli P4's & P7's, Hankook H727, Cooper CS4's, G/Y ACT's & General Arctic's snows and all of the other tires that I have purchased in the past few years.

I buy a lot of tires and that's just for our cars. I do this for friends/family too. We check all of the local tire prices before buying online. Sure, we'd all like to buy locally, it's easier really! I am one of the few that I know that doesn't mind the inconvenience!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hokiefyd,

Does discounttiredirect have any other discounts going on right now? Because they just had ~ $100-$130 off of 4 tires on the RT43's for Black Friday all sizes.

$50 off at checkout
$50 Rebate(PPGC)
$30 off(PPGC) using your DTD CareONE Card(which I have)

Last edited:
It varies by tire and size, some are better deals online than others.

It also depends on what local places you have and how competitive they are, what tires they offer the best prices on, what you want, etc.

When DTD has sales and stackable rebates is when they really start destroying local prices for me.

For example, I bought a set of Hankook H727 on Black Friday a couple years ago and got a $50 discount plus a $50 rebate. I ended up $380 installed after tax. A local place that sells Hankook wanted around $500 installed for a set.

I'm lucky to have America's Tire (the same company with Discount Tire) nearby and they do price match with lowest price I can find online.

I like their price match and after purchase services such as rotation and balance every 5-6k miles, tread life prorate ...

Buying tire online is okay but how do you get the tread life prorate ? The installation place will not do it, the seller may/may not do it, so you need to contact and file tread life prorate warranty with manufacture ?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It varies by tire and size, some are better deals online than others.

It also depends on what local places you have and how competitive they are, what tires they offer the best prices on, what you want, etc.

When DTD has sales and stackable rebates is when they really start destroying local prices for me.

For example, I bought a set of Hankook H727 on Black Friday a couple years ago and got a $50 discount plus a $50 rebate. I ended up $380 installed after tax. A local place that sells Hankook wanted around $500 installed for a set.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I'm lucky to have America's Tire (the same company with Discount Tire) nearby and they do price match with lowest price I can find online.

I like their price match and after purchase services such as rotation and balance every 5-6k miles, tread life prorate ...

Buying tire online is okay but how do you get the tread life prorate ? The installation place will not do it, the seller may/may not do it, so you need to contact and file tread life prorate warranty with manufacture ?

Stephen9666, exactly! This mimics my experience to a tee! There is also lots to be weighed here and many folks I know prefer to pay more money for the convenience of going to one place for warranty/prorating/tire repairs etc.

HTSS_TR, The prorating is something that I discuss before buying and is part of the inconvenience(s) that I mentioned earlier. Things that I am willing to tolerate considering the money saved and my time(see signature)!

Plus, I really haven't had "tire issues" over the years though, I have bought tires that I didn't like. But, they weren't really a problem. Most of my problems were weather conditions and buying the wrong/or being steered to the wrong tires/price by my local tire shop(s)!

At one time, I was buying lots of private label tires and G/Y tires that I didn't like and didn't really meet my criteria. But now that I have learned, what I DON'T LIKE about tires, I have been buying tires that fit my needs, driving style and climate.

Since I've been buying online and saving lots of money, buying tires by customer review/professional recommendations from several different sources, I have been buying much, much better tires for the money compared to the tires that I was buying locally. So, most/all of my tire concerns have been solved.

Last edited:
I said some of that incorrectly. I have had tire issues that even the local tire stores/managers wouldn't honor. And I have cured those problems now!
wink.gif

Buying tires online isn't for everyone. It's for me!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Does discounttiredirect have any other discounts going on right now? Because they just had ~ $100-$130 off of 4 tires on the RT43's for Black Friday all sizes.

$50 off at checkout
$50 Rebate(PPGC)
$30 off(PPGC) using your DTD CareONE Card(which I have)

I personally think it's hard to compare prices of once-per-year deals such as Black Friday. Sure, if you're ready to buy tires on that particular day, then you can take advantage of that. But for the other 364 days of the year, those types of discounts may not apply.

But yes, I agree...if you can buy in very certain times of year and stack rebates, online prices are competitive.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I personally think it's hard to compare prices of once-per-year deals such as Black Friday. Sure, if you're ready to buy tires on that particular day, then you can take advantage of that. But for the other 364 days of the year, those types of discounts may not apply.

The BF sale actually wasn't one day. It was more like four days or so.

DTD actually offers good deals multiple times per year. I would say the good prices are available around 4 or 5 times per year, with smaller sales other times.

Tires are like anything else, you get the best deal by shopping around and waiting for sales. If you want to just walk in off the street any day and buy from a local place, it may be more convenient but you'll pay for that convenience.

I personally don't wait until my tires are totally worn out and then need tires on short notice. I start shopping when they're getting low and performance is starting to degrade.

You're free to buy tires however you want, but there are savings to be had if you're willing to shop for them.

locally they wanted 785$$ to mount and regular balance 4 cooper at/3 in 235/60r17

DTD shipped to door 579$ -50mir = 529$ + mount and balance.

Probably get roadforce balancing at the dealer so about 625$ when all said and done.

Any cooper dealer can prorate tires. Most LOVE to as that means you are buying new tires from them.

IF they get snobby/redneck and are being jerks because you didn't buy your previous tires from them.. You probably don't want them to prorate your tires and buy new ones from them.

Last edited:
Typically, they(DTD) have several holiday sales per year and usually for the whole week(*Presidents Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Black Friday). I prefer to buy tires sooner than later.

*Presidents Day is not always a sale(I have noticed) or for 1 day only.

Typically when I need tires, I like to install them prior to the coming winter so, I start looking way before that time.

Last edited:
But, as I stated earlier, tires prices/installation in my area are just higher cost for some reason. Even when comparing to the the "online" store's full price/shipped.

One thing I haven't done is, buy tires from one local tire store and have'em installed at another local tire store, due to lower tire/installation prices from each. If I do buy locally, I get the best price from one place.

But, my best prices over the past 10-12 years has been to buy tires online and have my local W*M install the tires. I can't seem to beat this strategy.

But, my best prices over the past 10-12 years has been to buy tires online and have my local W*M install the tires. I can't seem to beat this strategy.

I did the same some years ago, but there are some problems with it.

First, virtually no service after sale/installation.

I tried to have Walmart rotate after had it installed there, I had to wait more than 1.5-2.0 hours.

Tread life warranty is very difficult to get. The seller, installation place and manufacture are all try hard not to work with you.

I lately looking for lowest price online then have local America's Tire price match, their installation is a little higher than Walmart by about $5-8 a tire, but it is the extra cost I'm willing to pay to have their excellent services.

Oh, I know! No service after the sale. But, our W*M does a good job! In & out when promised though each W*M is hit or miss.
smirk.gif

But, I have a system. We go and drop off the car at W*M, run across the plaza for breakfast/lunch and wait for a call. If we're done with the meal and the car is not, we'll shop for a bit.

THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!

It works well for you, there is no reason to change what you're doing.

Since America's Tire takes appointment online, I can have balance and rotation done in less than 30-45 minutes. Also, my S2000 eat rear tires like no tomorrow, mileage warranty is something I would like to have and easy to claim.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It works well for you, there is no reason to change what you're doing.

Since America's Tire takes appointment online, I can have balance and rotation done in less than 30-45 minutes. Also, my S2000 eat rear tires like no tomorrow, mileage warranty is something I would like to have and easy to claim.

I used to just automatically go to Costco for tires, but with how busy they get and the limits on brands and models, America's Tire is a breath of fresh air. Huge selection, great service, honored appointments and warranty coverage has made it my new destination for tires when possible.

Yeah, I used to just go to the local tire stores and kind'a pick a tire by price. OR let the store salesperson pick my tires for me.

I didn't get a home computer til ~1999 and it was pitifully slow especially on sites with lot of pic/colors. But, this is when I started looking for tires online and haven't looked back.

Though today, I will still check the local Sears, Firestone, Good/Year, Mavis, Sam's, BJ's, Dunn, KOST etc., I still end up buying online and saving as I have mentioned in other threads...$120-$150 for 4 tires shipped & locally installed.

In my mind, the only thing I am giving up is some convenience and a freebee flat repair/RHW. But hey, I'm retired! And before that, I worked afternoons for 35 of my 42 years of working!

But, as I stated earlier, tires prices/installation in my area are just higher cost for some reason. Even when comparing to the the "online" store's full price/shipped.

One thing I haven't done is, buy tires from one local tire store and have'em installed at another local tire store, due to lower tire/installation prices from each. If I do buy locally, I get the best price from one place.

I agree. That's the best way to do it ... for saving money. One of the local WalMarts (Cicero NY) has a GOOD staff. They clean the bead surfaces with a wire brush - Mavis just uses rubber cement - and unless the bead looks questionable, they don't use bead seal.

They even seemed to use care when dealing with TPMS on the Focus. And I said I didn't want lifetime balance ... so they knocked off a few bucks for me!

It's not for everyone. Not everyone wants to buy online and deal with the hassles (getting wrong tire) and having to transport them to a tire store. But I like it because it saves me money.

On my Jeep, where I don't really care about how the wheels looks, I have been mounting myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back