Tips to pass CA smog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like some tips (additives, etc) on what I can do to ensure my car passes it's next California smog check next year, since it seems it barely passed it's last check.

It's a 99 Mazda Protege with 320k miles. It was sitting for about year when I put in a newer engine (with 94k miles) earlier this year. The smog check brought the registration up to date a few months ago. There was one category that to my untrained eye looked like it was pushing the pass limit. Wondering if the newer engine being dropped in less than a month before the test would have a big effect. Any opinions and interpretations of the results are appreciated!

15mph -- RPM = 1874, %CO2 = 15.1, %O2 = 0.1
25mph -- RPM = 1807, %CO2 = 15.1, %O2 = 0.1

15mph -- HC(PPM) = 47 [max = 64, ave = 9]
25mph -- HC(PPM) = 10 [max = 47, ave = 7]

15mph -- CO(%) = 0.22 [max = 0.55, ave = 0.02]
25mph -- CO(%) = 0.19 [max = 0.54, ave = 0.03]

15mph -- NO(PPM) = 459 [max = 477, ave = 57]
25mph -- NO(PPM) = 31 [max = 764, ave = 50]

Drop some Amsoil PI in the gas, and give it a thorough tune-up. Plugs, wires, PCV, clean the MAF sensor, maybe replace the front O2 sensor. Plus a fresh oil change a few days before the smog because it's rumored to help for whatever reason.

And go to the smog station after a spirited or long drive to get the engine and catalysts up to operating temperature.

I second the suggestions for sensor upkeep--especially O2 and MAF. High NOx could be an EGR issue, so check that out. But the NOx went down at high-speed, so the EGR is probably OK. A catalyst with 320 Kmi is also going to be a "usual suspect."

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this car passes its next smog test. I have an old but low-mileage non-CA Dodge van that has passed smog both times, but with near-failures in different categories each time.

Be sure the car is fully warmed up right before the smog check. Don't warm it up with a lot of heavy-footed driving; the rich exhaust could starve the oxidation reactions (HC & CO) in the cat. But don't lean it out too much either (how you would do that depends on the car), because that could suppress the NOx reduction reaction. Moderation is key.

i used to run the tank down low and then use a lot of alcohol ( like denatured alcohol. About 15- 20 % alcohol to fuel us what i used to use to pass the test. ( north carolina test i don't know about ca.)
Just fill up right afterwards, you dont'want that much alcohol in the gas all the time

Last edited:
Wow - many thanks for pitching in here!

Man, the thought of o-sensor issues makes me twitch. I had both need to be replaced not too long out of warranty, with basically no aftermarket available. Insanely priced. A quick search shows I have more reasonable options now.

I'll heed your advice(s) come test time - thanks again.

make sure it is as hot as you can get it right before you have it tested, hit the freeway or drive around for 30 min or so before hand.

Usually the guy testing it will adjust all kinds of things (location of the tail pipe detector, throttle, waiting for things to warm up, etc. If you go to a place that has free retest, you usually don't fail unless you have something wrong on the car.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
i used to run the tank down low and then use a lot of alcohol ( like denatured alcohol. About 15- 20 % alcohol to fuel us what i used to use to pass the test. ( north carolina test i don't know about ca.)
Just fill up right afterwards, you dont'want that much alcohol in the gas all the time

That works in Calif. also. I've done it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back