Timing belt: OEM VS Aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Eventually I had my wife give me a hand and I got it on, but then the marks wouldn't align. It turns out that the timing marks were ever so slightly off and they **just** wouldn't align.

confused.gif

On the last timing belt I did, I just lined up the crankshaft and camshaft to the correct marks, slid the belt on, then tensioned it.

Critic,

timing belt tension is very difficult to explain. Grabbing the belt and rotating it 90 degrees (longest portion of belt) is a very general explanation.

Experience makes a huge difference in determining proper tension. Too tight will prematurely wear the water pump (if in the loop) and add stress to the tensioner and idlers.

Using a paint pen on the belt and pulleys will be a newbies best friend. Put the engine at TDC and paint away at the belt/sprocket and side of the engine (for reference). You will never ever put a belt on incorrectly. Just double check after you put the new belt on.

I thought most modern engines like my 2000 Subaru used self contained tensioners. That way the person replacing the belt has little or no control over how tight the belt is. The tensoner loads the belt, not the person.

That is true, but springs in tensioners can fatigue, and hydraulic tensioners can leak oil.

That is why many people say that replacing them at every belt/chain change is a must.

Quote:

That is true, but springs in tensioners can fatigue, and hydraulic tensioners can leak oil.

That is why many people say that replacing them at every belt/chain change is a must.

My personal observation is that the practice varies by brand. On VW/Audi vehicles, replacing the tensioner with the belt is a MUST. VW/Audi 1.8T engines are notorious for early failure of the timing belt tensioner, and as a result, many engines are damaged because of this.

On Hondas and Toyotas, most dealerships do not replace the tensioner as part of the timing belt job.

Yes also on Subaru. I too have a 2000 Subaru Outback. I replaced the tensioner, all iders, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, etc., because I wanted a good shot at making it to 210k miles without having any of those items fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back