Time to Replace vehicle battery?

689D4346-CEFC-447D-A0B2-9E6387679669.jpeg

FFD9F6B2-0AAC-40B5-A417-70CA6C92BF05.jpeg

3C731D09-BCD4-4978-8B52-B1761897C73E.jpeg

Since the battery was over 3 years old, I made the recommendation. Curious what the audience thinks.

The Internal Resistance seems borderline. It also looks like the electrolyte level hasn't been checked in a while.

I would keep it

Depends on climate.

Up north when cold, no one wants to mess with a dead battery in the middle of a blizzard.

So, what's your weather like?

Top off the cells and push it until it needs a jump, for science.

There good until I need a Jump Start . But since it's a customers......it doesn't look very good by the way of the Test

One of my great annoyances is hearing about people stranded due to dead batteries. And I don't care that they are not car-people.
I care because they complain SO MUCH about how their day was impacted.

Feel free to take one note in your phone's calendar, to replace it 3-4 years down the road. Spend the $180 and keep motoring.

If it's someone bringing it to you and paying for service anyway, yeah the better recommendation is replace. If it's your own battery and you know your situation, personally I'd wait. If I had a vehicle where I felt a 500CCA battery was adequate in the first place, I'm not done with it at 405CCA remaining... except, how is it measuring 405CCA unless you had it in a freezer right before the testing, instead of measuring 405CA?

Usually, if the rate of decay remains the same, at 66% it should have at least 1-2 years left in it, but this does depend on how cold it gets.

so its testing at 405 on a 500cca battery? Should last at least 1 more year. esp. in CA where you dont have -5F winters etc.
where does the 66% number come from.

Its definitely midlife but that is 200more cca than my 2015 subaru forester battery after 16months.

Since the battery was over 3 years old, I made the recommendation. Curious what the audience thinks.
Just because the date says it's 3 years old, doesn't mean the customer bought it over 3 years ago. The 11/2019 sticker is when it was made and it can easily be 2 months before its sold. If he bought it 1/15/2000 or later, it's under warranty and he should get one replaced free assuming that model is a 36 month battery.

I would charge and retest.

My experience with that particular size battery in Hondas is that they work fine until the don't - as in it cranks fine, you shut it off for gas, get back in and it wont make a sound...

Back