Tiki torch oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in my on going battle with the skitters from next door, I surrounded my front porch with tiki torches. I filled them with a bottle of Tiki torch fuel I bought at Big Lots. I've noticed it smells like kerosene - does anyone know what Tiki torch fuel is made of?

yeah, probably kerosene, maybe a dash of Citronella oil, little mmo,little seafoam, and just a touch of sparkly unicorn "juice".

joking about the last 3 of course

...or am i??

There seems to be no definitive information from what I've been able to find.

The main things I've seen are citronella, paraffin oil (mineral oil), and a general reference to petroleum based oils. Also, on a reputable companies website, the only information specified is vague and does not provide anything useful.

Sounds like it's a mixture of various substances for the most part.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
So, in my on going battle with the skitters from next door, I surrounded my front porch with tiki torches. I filled them with a bottle of Tiki torch fuel I bought at Big Lots. I've noticed it smells like kerosene - does anyone know what Tiki torch fuel is made of?

White mineral oil, citronella, odorant, a little bit of kerosene, (some dye if colored), and a special friction modifier for start-up.
sick.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

White mineral oil, citronella, odorant, a little bit of kerosene, (some dye if colored), and a special friction modifier for start-up.
sick.gif

LOL! I'm not sure what it's made of but the green bottle with the obligatory "OFF!" label on it is quite effective for us. The mosquitoes were oblivious to the regular Tiki fuel but the green stuff seems to keep them away. YMMV...

There are 3 basic types of fuel that can be used in tiki torches.

• Eco-Friendly, vegetable-based

• Petroleum-Based - minimally refined to highly refined with varying flashpoints determining burn characteristics

• Non-Petroleum Based and enhanced to improve burning characteristics

Various essential oils containing geraniol are added to keep the bugs at bay.

Source: http://www.fireflyfuel.com/blog/4-tiki-torch-fuels-new-alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back