Thoughts on Castrol 5W-40 now that 0W-40 is out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More specifically: I see Castrol 5W-40 on Amazon.con for about $48, and their 0W-30 for $46.19. They now have the 0W-40. I suspect I want a slightly more cushiony oil in my van, as the lifter is making a typewriter sound.

Which of these two Castrols would you choose ,should I be so inclined?

Quote:
I see Castrol 5W-40, but 0W-40 is now out. Opinions on the two?

The 0w-40 meets more stringent MFG specs. It also has a notably lower pour point, which may indicate higher quality oil bases being used. Between the two, I'd take the 0w-40.

The oils are basically Euro spec oils and the viscosities are within a few percent of each other but the weird one is the 0W/40.

The UK spec has a -35C visc of 5800 and a pour point of -50C, while the US supplied product has a -35C visc of 6200 but a pour point of -60C.

The figures above 0C are identical between US and UK oils as is the viscosity index. To be honest the difference is basically PSA in Europe want a 0W oil and Renault in Europe want a 5W and the customer is always provided with a product no matter what.

Also the 0W in the UK meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A but neither oil meets that spec in the US probably due to your CAFE regulations.

eddie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back