Thoughts from the Houston Auto show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing about 200 cars, and driving one, my observations:

Best for the money compact -- HYUNDAI ACCENT. Starting at $14,600 (4 door) or $14,800 (Hatch), Very well done for less than $15K.

Best "every day" Sports car -- DODGE DART. If you haven't test driven one of these, do it. Do not judge it by its looks or photos alone. Starts at at just $16K and gives 40 mpg. The performance was fair to good, and it had a throaty exhaust growl. It really shined out on the street. Rode like a larger, heavier sports car. Seats and interior room excellent. Its one cool car.

Mid to large size -- TOYOTA AVALON. Sleek lines, great performance, beautiful and plush interior, its one fine ride. Lists at just $31,000, and provides 30+ MPG. What more could you want?

Pick Up Truck -- Couldn't decide between the DODGE RAM and FORD F150. The Ram is all new with great MPG, and the Ford is just a all around great truck. Call it a TIE.

Best overall bargain -- HYUNDAI SANTA FE. A large SUV, near 30 mpg, and all for $24,500? Just unbelievable. Look all you want. You will not find more vehicle for the money. Period.

Well, that's just my opinions. I excluded all exotics, and focused on what an every day buyer would look at. I am not looking for a debate, just passing along my observations, thats all.

Thanks for posting your observations.

I am impressed at the exhaust note from the new Darts. I've heard a few crank up at gas stations and, for four-cylinder engines, they have a real burble to them.

you were able to test drive these vehicles? i agree with most of your observations except for the santa fe. i dislike all SUV/CUVs actually so thats unfair.

Not exactly. You definitely could drive a lot of them, though. The show has two parts. 100's of cars are showing in the Reliant Arena, a mammoth convention center in the Reliant (Houston Texans) Stadium complex.

Outside in the parking lot, a number of companies have test drive lines set up. Dodge, for instance, and 8 vehicles to choose from for a test drive. The limiting factor was the length time waiting in lines. I drove the Dart on a city loop about a mile long, with one good straightaway. You could line back up drive any and all you wanted to.

After that, we went inside. All the cars are open to sit in, pop the hood and trunk, etc. and look over all you want. Pretty girls are up on the rotating stages with microphones reciting product information. For just $10, its a great days entertainment for any automotive enthusiast.

Glad to hear someone actually DROVE a Dart II instead of just parroting the car rags.

The over the road manners of that platform are inspiring, and could teach a lot of other mfgrs about how to set up a chassis! Hyundai should be taking notes!

I can't wait to see their 2.5 N/A Multi Air engine that is reportedly coming soon. And of course the SRT version will be a blast I am sure.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Glad to hear someone actually DROVE a Dart II instead of just parroting the car rags.

As I entered the car, the Dodge Rep sat in the front passenger seat. My wife got in the rear passenger seat. I very cautiously drove away out of the staging area, chatting with the rep. I cautiously drove through a few city blocks, then the rep told me "take a right up here, and open it up on the straightaway". Just wanting to be careful I said "seriously? he said, "Yeah, if the traffic is clear, open it up as long as you can do so safely".

I made the right turn and saw nothing in the way for at least a 1/4 mile, so I laid into it. I have no bias toward Dodge, In fact, I own Honda, Chevy and Lincoln, so I am not a regular Dodge guy by any means. I was sincerely impressed by this Dart. Wife was too. She said before I even asked "Wow thats a great car...it feels so solid". I agree. It exceeded my expectations.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Mid to large size -- TOYOTA AVALON. Sleek lines, great performance, beautiful and plush interior, its one fine ride. Lists at just $31,000, and provides 30+ MPG. What more could you want?

A Taurus, Fusion, or even *GHASP* a 300 would be a better mid/large car than an Avalon.

Well, the 300 has a vastly different performance envelope and driving dynamics as it is rwd.

Toyotas and Lexii IME are many times super isolated and removed from any input to the driver. Their intent seems to be to get you as far away from driving as possible. This can be very nice for some folks, and they can then relax all the way home.

But it's not for everyone.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

A Taurus, Fusion, or even *GHASP* a 300 would be a better mid/large car than an Avalon.

I bet you are thinking about the 2012 (and back) Avalons. The 2013 is all new and refined from the ground up.

http://www.toyota.com/avalon/features.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back