2003 Chevy Malibu V6 known problems?

At some point during the year I’ve probably asked about 10 different used car models, so what’s one more? A nearby dealer has a 2003 Malibu with the V6 and 108k miles for $3k. The photos look great with no visible rust and a decent interior. Is this a model worth considering or just another avoid at all costs GM lemon?

Look for rust underneath. GM didn't spend the nickel to rust proof the fuel or brake lines.

They go through intake manifold gaskets like anything else with that motor.

You'll get more for your $3k with a private party transaction.

Aside from the gaskets they're an extraordinarily boring car, which is good, when buying this used.

I don't see many of these here anymore, but they used to rust around the gas filler cap.

As others have mentioned, they are known for needing IM gaskets.

From experience, I can confirm the other posts that it will eat intake manifold gaskets. Get ready to replace them either DIY or through a shop. Other than that pretty decent power and comfortable as can be.

Last edited:
From experience, I can confirm the other posts that it will eat intake manifold gaskets. Get ready to replace them either DIY or through a shop. Other than that pretty decent power and comfortable as can be.
How difficult is that? I’ve done intake gaskets before on a Corolla and it was pretty easy.

Aside from lower intake manifold gaskets due to Dexcool at the time the 3100's are solid engines.

How difficult is that? I’ve done intake gaskets before on a Corolla and it was pretty easy.
The difference is huge, being the Corolla is an inline-4 and the Malibu a transverse V6.

It's the lower intake gaskets that go bad, often resulting in serious engine damage if one neglects it and just continues to add coolant. These often wind up in used car lots because the previous owner had overheating issues and couldn't afford the repair. Inspect it thoroughly.

They're not terrible to replace, but it's not a walk in the park either like your previous Corolla. Because this issue is so common, there's likely a thousand Youtube videos / forum posts describing the repair process that will walk you through it A-Z.

I've heard that the intake pushrods were slightly different in length from the exhaust ones. Just a few mm, so it's not readily apparent. I can't remember which are longer, but in any case the valves can get bent if the pushrods are mixed up.

Since you have already done one intake gasket, I would think that this one wouldn't be too bad. I spent more time cleaning stuff than actually doing the work.

Had 2 in the family, '02 and '03. After doing the intake gaskets they were solid cars. Both taken over 150k miles and sold running fine.
Basic transportation that fit the needs.

Not the greatest car but not the worst. The intake gaskets, electronics, but nothing too serious. On the plus side, you don't have to do a timing belt job on this as you would need to on the Toyota and Honda V6s from this era. So what you're saving on the timing belt job you can spend on the intake gaskets. If I had to get a Malibu, I would feel the most comfortable getting this era where it doesn't have the problematic electric steering that the following generations had. Also the accords from this time were known to have some transmission problems so there that in mind when judging The flaws of the Malibu.

Two tools that not everybody has in their tool box will make the job much easier
A Lisle 48500 push rod remover and a crow's foot wrench for the back IMG bolts. The crow's foot is necessary, the Lisle tool is worth it's weight in gold. The bolts must have thread lock on them or they will work their way loose causing future leaks. The thermostat 90° pipe elbow breaking or coming loose is also a problem that should be addressed ( at least on the 3.4, I think it's the same on the 3.1) while you are in there.
That thermostat elbow is a special type of fun. It's fitted in using only thread lock/sealant to hold it in place. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how it wouldn't leak after a short period of time. I'm sure there is a better aftermarket version by now.

Back