This ZDDP Article is Excellent! A Must Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing. Good find.

Roy Howell explains the difference between adhesive wear vs chemical wear. Cool to see how open Redline & Roy Howell are in discussing these things.

Hib Halverson is a big fan of Redline.

It is a good fiend but it was all full of common information that has been on this site over and over again for the last couple of years! Many of us have been preaching this stuff for some time! Not that anyone pays attention until it is too late and it happens to them.

Good find.
There has been a lot of discussion of the Phos' requirements of flat tappet OHV engines but little on direct-acting flat tappet OHC engines. It was reassuring to read that 800 ppm is fine for most stock street engines of this type.

Yes, some of the information is on this [BITOG] website here and there, but is also mixed with misinformation.
This link/website has a lot of info in one place, and maybe should be integrated to some sort of sticky here.
Plus, it is very well written. Lucid and cogent.

I found it interesting that SM/GF-4 was the first standard that required a minimum level of phosphorus/zdp.

Originally Posted By: Leo
Excellent find! Redline's input was great too...
What is nice about Redline oil is that they have an 800 number and real oil gurus to talk to.

Last edited:
I think the article is fairly well written.

1) Read this section, if you read nothing else: "IIIG Validates Flat Tappet Durability." The very last paragraph, the first point "1)........" He left out other metallurgical info, but there it is! So many of you poo-pooed me when I said this.

2) "ZDP Bottomline" hahahahhaha

3) "Four Rules"

4) I didn't see 10W-30 HDEO Mentioned. A synthetic HDEO like ACD would be a good mention....

I liked his comments about 15W50 and 20W50 oils:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Appropriate viscosity for the majority of Corvette engines is 10W30. A few old school race engines with large clearances, big blocks with forged pistons and so forth- can use 10W40. More than that is unnecessary and provides NO performance or durability advantage. In fact 15W50 or 20W50 increase oil temperature because the oil pump works the oil harder. The only exceptions are engines in very poor condition or some unusual racing configurations, say a full blown alcohol race motor.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Makes sense to me, for most engines, in most passenger cars and light trucks as well.

The bottom of page 4 states Rotella and Delo [HDEO oils] as being good for cams.

It also explains why if an oil is dual rated and the diesel designation comes first, it somehow bypasses the limits for gas engines [it will have more additives].
If the first rating is for gas, however, you won't get as much additive.

And Pablo, don't fret. Some people see you as only waving the Amsoil banner. Any of your acquired knowledge and good advice doesn't get through to some.

I missed that very last paragraph on page 4 (so much for speed reading!) Good stuff. I'm not 100% sure that's how API reads it...but could be.

I noticed people often ignore me as you say....oh well. Comes with the territory. Funny the very last sentence of all six pages repeats the point.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

Appropriate viscosity for the majority of Corvette engines is 10W30. A few old school race engines with large clearances, big blocks with forged pistons and so forth- can use 10W40. More than that is unnecessary and provides NO performance or durability advantage. In fact 15W50 or 20W50 increase oil temperature because the oil pump works the oil harder. The only exceptions are engines in very poor condition or some unusual racing configurations, say a full blown alcohol race motor.
Makes sense to me, for most engines, in most passenger cars and light trucks as well.

Dude hangs out at BITOG! (j/k)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: ADFD1

Dude hangs out at BITOG! (j/k)

From the looks of it, it seems the guy knows a thing or two about Vettes and oil. It was a good read. That's' not the first time I've heard that the pump works 50wt oils harder, and causes more heat.

Long ago I commented on how the Asian OEM where concerned witht he drop in phos but could care less about the Z in ZDDP. No one got it at the time the article does a good job explaining why the P in ZDDP and the sulfur which I long ago said I missed where so important. ZDDP is just a an ends to a mean.A lot of Aisin OEMs still do not use rollers in their valve trains.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
A lot of Aisin OEMs still do not use rollers in their valve trains.

A modern bucket type OHC valvetrain probably has half the pressure exerted on the lifter/cam lobe interface as an OHV pushrod engine. Just like the article stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back