This O2 sensor is kicking my butt

Wish I could but right now there isn't any room to add a pipe over the end of the ratchet. Might try and jack it up a few more inches.
Here's another time where a lift makes all the difference in the world! I'd get it higher, then the one minute trick with a nice 6 point socket on a 3/4" breaker bar with a pipe should do it. Even a good 1/2" breaker bar on a pipe should do the trick.

Here's another time where a lift makes all the difference in the world! I'd get it higher, then the one minute trick with a nice 6 point socket on a 3/4" breaker bar with a pipe should do it. Even a good 1/2" breaker bar on a pipe should do the trick.
+2

A lift would make all the difference here. Plenty of room for leverage and long breaker bars!

you might have to drop the exhaust system.
I'll take it to a shop first. Don't want to deal with 20 year old exhaust.

This morning I decided to drive both left wheels on the ramps but that still wasn't enough. Jacked up some more from the axle.

IMG_4432.JPG

I now have a 4' extension on the socket wrench, but still no go. Will have to try more heat.

IMG_4434.JPG

If it’s that tight, your really need it glowing red hot all around the sensor bung. Even then you’re possibly pulling the threads out with it. Just get it turning and work it back and forth, spraying penetrant and turning and working it all while it’s hot. If the threads are messed up you may be able to find a thread chaser and get it good enough.

Jolting with some kind of impact device usually works well.That and tools with very little flex.Amazing the effectiveness of impact sockets over regular sockets.Congrats.

I work on alot of those vans, most around 10 years newer, the Illinois state fleet has a gazillion of them, all with the 5.4. I haven't specifically seen a 2003 in a while but on the '12-13-14 versions the quickest way I've found us to just pop the doghouse off inside and it's wide open access can get right to it.

Easiest way to do this is to cut off the pigtail and install a boxed end wrench over the old O2 sensor. Install a ball joint seperator fork on your impact wrench, and then apply it over the free end of the boxed end wrench. The combination of vibration and impact force will break loose the most difficult O2 sensors.

Back