This O2 sensor is kicking my butt

Been working on it for hours this afternoon. 2003 Econoline wagon with the 5.4. Need to replace the drivers side front sensor. Already tried the common sensor tools with no luck, so cut the end off so I can get a 6 point socket on it. I have the left front tire elevated on a ramp, but I still can't get much more than 2' of leverage on the socket before the wrench touches the ground. And even then, I have nothing to brace against to put much force on it. Yes I've used heat and penetrating fluid. No room for an impact wrench. Any other ideas?

IMG_4428.JPG

6 point socket on a breaker bar with a hammer. You might be able to spray it really good and drive it so it’s hot. Sucks to work on but might help.

Just my $0.02

Try the one minute trick. With it stone cold, start the engine and let it idle for one minute and then shut it off and try to remove the O2 sensor.

One minute gets the sensor mount hotter than the sensor, so the mount hole expands more than the sensor. Try to remove it right after you shut off the engine (while the mount is hotter than the sensor).

Put a ratchet on it, 1/2" drive minimum, 3/4 preferred. Put a pipe over the end of the ratchet, operate it from not-underneath the van. It'll go. Might take the threads along with it, but it'll go.

Put a ratchet on it, 1/2" drive minimum, 3/4 preferred. Put a pipe over the end of the ratchet, operate it from not-underneath the van.
Wish I could but right now there isn't any room to add a pipe over the end of the ratchet. Might try and jack it up a few more inches.

Put a ratchet on it, 1/2" drive minimum, 3/4 preferred. Put a pipe over the end of the ratchet, operate it from not-underneath the van. It'll go. Might take the threads along with it, but it'll go.
Also try a box end wrench and repeated hits with a hammer. When they are that tight, the threads might come out with it. If you don't have a welder to weld in another bung, you might want to stop and go to an exhaust shop for removal.

spray with penetrant before every drive, use the van normally for a while, it might be easier then.

also if you have the tools, it can't be tight if it's a liquid

Also try a box end wrench and repeated hits with a hammer.
I also vote for this. The jarring force might knock it loose.

This with heat- even better. You need to heat around the sensor, then smack on it quickly - before the sensor expands from the heat also.

Box end wrench with a small torch to heat the threads and lots of penetrating oil. I’ve replaced lots of high-mileaged Ford O2 sensors this way.

Great way to ruin a ratchet. If a breaker bar can give you the correct angle, that's much preferred.
Sometimes getting the correct angle within a few degrees helps with the physics both human strength and positioning. Besides, he'll bend the exhaust pipe before busting a quality bigger-sized ratchet.

Breaker bar with a cheater on the end…

Cheater is a 6 foot piece of pipe, slid over the end of the breaker bar.

The craziest way I had to remove an O2 was with a box end wrench over the sensor and using an air hammer hitting the open jaw of the other side of the wrench. I t worked

I had a similar issue on my previous car (09 Mazda 6). I gave up and took it to a shop. After I explained my struggles, the guy was so nice he did it for free and said bring a case of beer next time you’re by. I did (premium stuffs) and a big bag of snacks for the guys. Probably cost more for the beer and snacks, but I really appreciated his kindness.

Been working on it for hours this afternoon. 2003 Econoline wagon with the 5.4. Need to replace the drivers side front sensor. Already tried the common sensor tools with no luck, so cut the end off so I can get a 6 point socket on it. I have the left front tire elevated on a ramp, but I still can't get much more than 2' of leverage on the socket before the wrench touches the ground. And even then, I have nothing to brace against to put much force on it. Yes I've used heat and penetrating fluid. No room for an impact wrench. Any other ideas?

View attachment 151723
Italian tune up or rally car drive style, then take it out. Be careful to not burn your self

View attachment 151723
Can you put a combination wrench on it, then use a floor jack to move the wrench? I have done this for O2 sensors and bolts that I could not get to with an impact and these were really frozen tight. It worked kinda scary the first time but it worked. I feel your frustration! You definitely need a O2 thread chaser for the installation.

Back