O2 sensor. Use Anti-Seize!

2001 Tundra, 209K, front oxygen sensors. One driver side came out easy. Passenger side, not so much. Pulled a few bung threads out with it.
Wouldn't budge with O2 socket. Cut wires and used full impact socket. Long 1/2" Matco breaker bar? No luck. Makita short bursts and it came out.
Yay! Then, well, saw the result. Maybe it is better to replace them before 200K or remove and lube at 100K? Dunno.
Gonna take it to local shop; they are good but not cheap. Oh well... Ya win some and ya lose some.
Hopefully they can tap the bung. Oops!
we just mig over'n re bung (.98¢).

Heat is your friend. Even a propane torch would help. Heat the bung area, and spray the sensor with water. Do that several times then try to remove.

100% Heat.

I never forget having an intermittent issue with the O2 sensor on a MK1 Ford Focus. I couldn't for the life of me get it out.

I went to a rolling road day to see how the engine was performing and mentioned to them that the O2 sensor is a bit iffy. They offered to change it there and then straight after it came off the rolling road. The sensor just undid with next to no fuss at all. Can also assume the heat from the power run assisted in removal. :unsure:

I've had bungs red hot and still the sensor wouldn't come undone without stripping threads. The ones in DPF's are notoriously hard to get lose. I always put anti-seize on replacements but since it's very rare to need replacement twice I don't know if th anti-seize helped at all.

official 'anti seiz? no, I like crc's ceramic brake caliper 'grease' the best. The other's seem to 'cake up', 'dry away' and B minimum help even tho designed for 'it'.

Ran the OTC thread chaser that @Trav suggested; it was not too bad. Could not start the O2 Sensor; it was a Amazon return. Do these threads look OK? I saved a whole $8 buying the returned part.
The 2nd pic is the chased threads...

Thanks in advance.
1663278627613.jpg

1663278714092.jpg

Here's the bottomed OTC chaser. The added length helped.
1663278852503.jpg

Ran the OTC thread chaser that @Trav suggested; it was not too bad. Could not start the O2 Sensor; it was a Amazon return. Do these threads look OK? I saved a whole $8 buying the returned part.

Oxygen sensors use the same threads as a spark plug, so if you have an old sparkplug laying around, see if it will thread into the o2 sensor bung.

i dont no what i'm lookin @. I may
C a striped out bung (lrg air space
between it & ex. pipe) and some kinda
whitish cream). May B one of the 6 sided
nuts is making a reflection & U simply show
a reptap. The cream some kinda cutting oil for
the tap.
Good Luck, be safe AND productive !

Oxygen sensors use the same threads as a spark plug, so if you have an old sparkplug laying around, see if it will thread into the o2 sensor bung.
I have the O2 Sensor from Bank 1 that came out fine. I will try that romorrow, time permitting. Thanks!
I may ask Amazon for a refund and new part if I believe the threads are damaged.

i dont no what i'm lookin @. I may
C a striped out bung (lrg air space
between it & ex. pipe) and some kinda
whitish cream). May B one of the 6 sided
nuts is making a reflection & U simply show
a reptap. The cream some kinda cutting oil for
the tap.
Good Luck, be safe AND productive !
You are seeing a little white lithium grease I sprayed as I chased the threads. I started with motor oil.

Well, @Trav for the win; see post #21. I picked up these Amazon M18x1.5 taps and ran the threads with the taper tap. Perhaps I shoulda followed with the plug tap, but I did not. By the way, no one ever called me a machinist...
The new Denso O2 sensor screwed in; I wasn't sure if it was seated but did not wanna break anything.
Started it up; no ehaust leak sound. I kinda miss my ghetto sound, but ...

We are lucky to have the quality contributions of this forum. I have benefitted personally from members including @Trav and @The Critic along with others.

it must B tight enuff to go thru heat cycling and not drop out. I gota tq wrench inside my wrist by now but here's some written info from my google friend:

Torque to proper specs as below: M18 sensors (sensors with 18mm diameter threads) - Install finger tight then 1/2-3/4 turn with wrench / O2 sensor socket 26-33ft. lbs. M12 sensors (sensors with 18mm diameter threads) - Install finger tight then 3/4 - 1 turn with wrench / O2 sensor socket 13.2 -17ft

Back