this month's AMSOIL magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al does mention Hatco. Again, Hatco didn't bring the oil to the market, Amsoil did. I don't think it's some kind of secret Hatco blended the oil. It's COMMON KNOWLEDGE. Wow....you guys can twist anything.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Al does mention Hatco. Again, Hatco didn't bring the oil to the market, Amsoil did. I don't think it's some kind of secret Hatco blended the oil. It's COMMON KNOWLEDGE. Wow....you guys can twist anything.

yes they can.....especially if it make they're own opinion sound better

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Ah Buster, Amsoil was the first to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil , not the first to develop synthetic motor oil as they'd like us to believe. But you knew that! Funny thing, now decades later their top of the line SSO and ASM aren't API approved.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Thankfully companies like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline provide us with oils that are too good to meet API specifications.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Ah Buster, Amsoil was the first to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil , not the first to develop synthetic motor oil as they'd like us to believe. But you knew that! Funny thing, now decades later their top of the line SSO and ASM aren't API approved.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Thankfully companies like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline provide us with oils that are too good to meet API specifications.

+1 and I will add Mobil to the list.

Ed

Ed

I was just mentioning something that entered my mind that's all. This is the first time I'm hearing of an oil that's too good, everything made by man can be made better. I think its more of not wanting to pay for the certifications. IMO RL is in a league of its own head and shoulders above the others you mentioned. In any event lots of people use all the oils you mentioned with good results, others won't because they lack API approvals. What ever floats your boat.

The nice thing is you'll never see a sales rep from RP, RL, Pennzoil, XOM, Valvoline, Castrol, etc. dive into a thread to defend the product. Many of them are in the hot seat here too.

Well, what's funny is whether or not you see stamped the latest API certification on any given oil, the products typically will tell you if they 'meet' other specs. Believable? I suppose, why not? Such as high end M1 oils and Amsoil's ASM/SSO meeting previous API specs, though not SN(yet?)...for a time during, perhaps 'reformulation'(or minor tweaking)?

When it comes to these reputable names, the proof is in the pudding. They work great for most applications that can use them or at least from the UOAs and user feedback other's have posted here.

I haven't used RedLine and don't know the price, so I can't offer comment beyond users of it seem to put it high on a pedestal as well.

Could an oil 'fail' to meet a certain aspect of API rating(the latest SN for example) and it be a good thing, for extended interval users for example?

http://www.infineum.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/notebooks/gf5/FinalApprovedSpec.pdf

http://www.amsoil.com/company.aspx

Quote:
Al does mention Hatco

I do not see it when I look up the history of Amsoil on there site.

Quote:
I don't think it's some kind of secret Hatco blended the oil. It's COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

I believe this common knowledge is only known by Big Al and maybe some of the Amsoil Dealers.

I would just think that Big Al would mention Hatco since they did blend the oil, why not give this company some credit on the Amsoil Site, since they do not, it seems like they are hiding something or they just want to take all of the credit. JMO

Originally Posted By: buster
Synthetics existed before Amsoil did. In fact, it was Hatco that developed Amsoil's first oil.

In terms of formulations, Amsoil followed Mobil in using PAO's, then started using Group III's like the industry was doing for awhile. Their additive system is not much different than any other oil and in many was was lagging in years past. Mg and no moly.

I think oils like RLI and Fuchs are more advanced or innovative. Amsoil seems to like to boost additive packages. Great oils, but I don't see any real advancements from them.

Originally Posted By: TimVipond
First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil." XOM followed.

Get the quotes right fellas... amsoil CHANGED their statement to:

Quote:
AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972

Tim, you sell it... would figure you'd know it.

Yes i know it says that on the "COMPANY" tab of their website, but they changed it on every other product description.

But, as it stands right now, the ONLY api certified and rated oils are XL and OE... those aren't "group iv" (to my understandings, please correct me if i'm wrong!)... so technically to Amsoil's past arguments, those aren't "true" 100% fully synthetic oils.

Last edited:
apparently I made a typo after slower reading...

Quote:
Tim, you sell it... would figure you'd know it.

meant to say "you advertise it" (as per your sig)

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

SDF filters would not have happened without Amsoil.

An SDF Oil Filter is just a rebadged Wix Oil Filter.

Quote:
I don't understand why that is so tough to accept. It's just a fact.

The fact here is that Amsoil just orders oil filters and then they put there name on them. Mobil does the samething with there oil filters too.

It's a fact that Amsoil is not the expert in Oil Filtration, just like Mobil is not the expert in Oil Filtration either.

Um... they were Baldwin/Hastings filters... or at least many of them were.

Last edited:

Ed

True, if they know what they are doing and are reputable. Amsoil and Redline clearly are. They have been in business for over 30 years.

Originally Posted By: buster

Ed

True, if they know what they are doing and are reputable. Amsoil and Redline clearly are. They have been in business for over 30 years.

I use Amsoil products! Love those big mouth bottles! Nothing I hate more is a bottle that slows an oil change!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Sorry - not stooping, I thought it was you from the above post of garbled quotes. It was "Pontiac Fan" who wrote that. I lost track. So I apologize. Honest mistake. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back