Things we see driving around - original content (pictures you snapped)

The local area near our home. That's Morro Bay off in the distance. Look closely and you'll see Morro Rock.

Scott

IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1182.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg

March 22 2024: California Hwy 58, Santa Margarita to the California Valley area. I drove out for a super bloom check. The bloom has started but I figure it'll peak in about two weeks. Pictures with E46 parked - I'm standing on the Pacific Plate within a 1/2 mile from the San Andreas fault which is the earth crust fissure that separates the Pacific Plate from the North American Plate. The mountains with the flowers - that's the Temblor Range - the San Andreas is right under those hills. San Joaquin Valley is on the other side of the Temblors. Picture 6 (with the road) is looking west. That's California Valley, which has a small population of hardy, off the grid personalities. Those mountains in the late afternoon are majestic. With the sun lower in the sky you can see all the contours. Beautiful. Last pics are the E46. Hadn't driven it in 5 or 6 weeks.

Scott

IMG_9011.jpeg
IMG_9010.jpeg
IMG_9012.jpeg
IMG_9015.jpeg
IMG_9020.jpeg
IMG_9017.jpeg
IMG_9024.jpeg
IMG_9023.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I was wearing a helmet and Oakleys, plus all the usual road bike kit - including shaved legs! In the course of going down (on asphalt pavement at 25 mph) I led with my left arm, which broke my elbow, middle finger, and tore my rotator cuff.

Milliseconds later I did a face plant on my chin which caused the concussion. Except for blood neither my helmet or Oakleys had a mark on them. Bizarre.

Accident happened while doing some pace line speed work with my training group. All of us were mega hardcore and highly experienced, but mistakes happen. Two riders in front of me overlapped wheels, which caused the rider immediately in front of me to go down. She (and what a powerful stud she was!) was down in an instant. I ran over her riderless bike as it skated over the pavement in front of me, causing me to get thrown over my handlebars. Everything happened too quickly to react.

Besides being knocked unconscious there were fears I fractured or broke my neck, which required strapping me to a backboard on the way to the emergency room in the ambulance.

When my wife got to the hospital it was quite a fright when I didn't know who she was. I'm not sure who was more freaked out; Sue, me, or the doctors. But, I had full cognitive awareness otherwise. The effects of that concussion lingered for a year - and 25 years later my elbow still bothers me sometimes.

Scott
You've got me beat - in my worst bike accident (June 2000), I crushed a helmet, broke a tooth, and donated much skin and blood to the road, but didn't sustain a concussion.

Got off easy, all considered.

I have dinner plans, so will find out tomorrow.

Or perhaps @vavavroom can grab a handful in the fields and have a chew…
There are different types of sorrel. The one that grows here like a weed is the one we called sour grass when we were kids. I think it's official name is wood sorrel but I'm not a botanist. It tastes, no surprise, sour. The leaves resemble clover leaves. The sorrel in your jar is a different kind. I think that's called common sorrel and it's originally not a plant native to North America. It's also sour.

Just to even out all the Cali content: things you see along I-40 in Arizona and New Mexico.
View attachment 210009
View attachment 210010
View attachment 210011

View attachment 210013
View attachment 210015
I remember those trains somewhere along the trip between Redding, CA, and my Las Vegas waypoint.

IMG_8694.jpeg
IMG_8695.jpeg

Peggy Sue’s diner off I-15 in Yermo was pretty great, and where the trains were parked when I was going through.

I love those petrified wood places. The petrified forest is a great place to drive though.

IMG_8781.jpeg

Last edited:
Back