The Perma-Cool Automatic Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim- Yes it does have two holes tapped for mounting. Im going to fab up an aluminum bracket for my car and most likely mount it horizontally.

On Northerntools website it lists this 20 GPM mount as having a bypass built in for cold start protection. It does not list any pressures. The element that comes with it is rated at 10 microns. Not sure what the efficiency is.Im guessing its a good filter from what I have heard thus far. It looks alot more robust than the Perma-cool which i have had in the past.

Last edited:
I would imagine that the Byers filter has a cellulose media. The 10um is most likely the nominal rating. It's probably a 20-30um at the 90% level ..but (something nagging me in the back of my head) I don't think that they test under the same protocols for hydraulics. That's not saying it's better or worse, just different standards (again that's just a nagging thought that I can't verify at the moment). Those Northerntool setups are a nice deal w/filter included. A couple of hose barbs and some hose
21.gif

Oregon fuel injection, Jim. Is that where you found yours? The only place I may have found on my Vic is on a crash bar in front of the radiator. That or relocate the battery and put it there, lol.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I could see such an assembly being a big parasitic load or impede flow if not sized right, though likely Im just overthinking it.

The 5/16 or 3/8 lines would be more of a factor. They're not
21.gif

Onmo: Oregon Fuel Injection- that's the place! Closer to you than me.

My F-150HD has plenty of room near its gigantic factory 9-row oil cooler for the assembly. I'm setting this truck up to be my casket (if you catch my drift), though I still have a Ford truck I bought almost new 20+ years ago that shows no sign of dying. A newish truck every 20 years or so is all I ask.

What about installing the filter assy. on the chassis near the trans. Did that on a car I owned in the past.

I got the Racor add-on trans filter kit and admit to being a little disappointed. That mostly has to do with the price. I got it for about just under half of list price ($129).I had refused to buy it at that price. For $60, I was willing to try. Most of the whiz-bang and value comes from the filter, which appears very well made and claims a 6 micron absolute rating. Very HD housing. Bypass valve at the end, not the base. Not sure of the bypass setting specs. I see replacement filters listed at around $30.Not sure if there is an equivalent by another brand. They recommend replacement annually or 30K miles ( I will go 30K, but not annual). The base and hardware is nothing real special, though as a plus I think it is US made (a stamping that seems to say that). No buyers regret but a tiny bit of remorse. Maybe I needed a cheaper base and hardware and then incorporate the apparently super-duper Racor filter.

Yeah, I cant even use alot of the stuff like the bracket. But oh well. I was the same way. When I first heard about it I thought it would be awesome. Then I saw the list price and didnt look again for awhile. Happened across it one day Googling and had to have it for less than half off. I have an idea for where to put it, now, maybe... Oh, I looked up that filter number at various places and could only find it through Racor/Parker. But that was a few months ago. It is a snazzy looking powdercoated base though, isnt it? :p

You guys got me thinking. I replaced my factory cooler with a thermostatically controlled one. I used hose and fittings from I got an engine oil cooler and remote filter also. All I have to do is get another $20 remote filter mount and a few fittings and I'm good to go.

Do we think these filers are better than a Magnefine or cheaper to replace or take less space. I do not have much room in my Camry, but do have room in a Suburban and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I am still not sure what to conclude in my Magnefine before/after test, but might consider something else where I had more room.

Off the top of my head, the Magnefine was 35 microns absolute??? The Racor claims six microns absolute and is designed "with a synthetic media especially for transmission fluid." Has no magnet (but I guess you could add 'em) but at 6 microns, you are filtering pretty fine. At 30 bucks a pop, just for the spin-on filter, I wouldn't call them cheap. $60 for the Racor kit was the cheapest I'd ever seen them. The next cheapest was $95.But I hadn't looked all the hard.

I think thats a close out price at oregon fuel injection, so get them while they last. It was funny. I figured I would have lots of spots to put it. Its a big arse Crown Vic, right? lol. I however, do think if I can get this installed, I will add a magnafine to the power steering.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I however, do think if I can get this installed, I will add a magnafine to the power steering.

Great minds think alike. I have a Magnafine coming for my power steering!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back