The irrigation project....

Love these projects. Is it mainly drip there? I live in the land of plentiful water and irrigate and spend way more than I ever could’ve imagined on water. I have 16 zones and I’m watereing landscaping beds and grass and in the dry months it makes me almost sick. I can only imagine living in a truly dry area.

Love these projects. Is it mainly drip there? I live in the land of plentiful water and irrigate and spend way more than I ever could’ve imagined on water. I have 16 zones and I’m watereing landscaping beds and grass and in the dry months it makes me almost sick. I can only imagine living in a truly dry area.
I pay a flat fee of about 750 a season for the half inch from April 15 to Oct 15
I have a mix of drip and sprinklers, every tree in the orchard and the plants in the front yard are on drip.

Is that for an unlimited amount? I paid $465 last month for 55,600 gallons. It was an unusually wet month here and would typically be $600-800.

Is that for an unlimited amount? I paid $465 last month for 55,600 gallons. It was an unusually wet month here and would typically be $600-800.

It's for "about" 8K gallons a day.

Whatever runs through a half inch hole in a board under 6 inches of head pressure.

Its a bit variable in flow/pressure however since a bunch of us share a pipe.

That is rather interesting, and a very cool project. Nicely laid out, neat and clean. Spectacular property BTW.

Here in South Florida, water is everywhere. My 2 inch well is 33 feet deep, and provides plenty of water for the house. I also have 6 well points in an H pattern feeding my gasoline fire pump and hose. That thing provides a righteous amount of flow. Not sure of the maximum flow rate, but with the fire hose and nozzle, it will fill a 5 gal bucket in seconds. Guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 GPM.

That is rather interesting, and a very cool project. Nicely laid out, neat and clean. Spectacular property BTW.

Here in South Florida, water is everywhere. My 2 inch well is 33 feet deep, and provides plenty of water for the house. I also have 6 well points in an H pattern feeding my gasoline fire pump and hose. That thing provides a righteous amount of flow. Not sure of the maximum flow rate, but with the fire hose and nozzle, it will fill a 5 gal bucket in seconds. Guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 GPM.
Thanks, it's been really fun to do it.

It's a great place just enough land to do a few things with. A little oddly shaped, but workable.
Although (knocking on wood) we don't know of anyone thats had a problem in this area there was always concern that doing any irrigation with our well could leave it dry, hence investment in the irrigation system as well to establish use as unused allotments are the first to get clipped in any drought scenario.

I love the geography of Florida.
As a boater I salivate seeing all the water.

Im super curious.
I've never heard of a "well point" does each point have a pump and you aggregate flow to the gas pump ?
Or does the gas pump somehow reach into the points and pull the water? IF you have to run 6 pumps to feed it whats the electrical load?
I'll bet that thing absolutely rocks in a combined mode.

Curious what treatment/ filtration does your drinking water require, if any?

Last edited:

What sprinkler controller are you using ?

The rainbird controller looks pretty good.

This place had a 6 zone Orbit controller run off the well when I moved in. Its Ok.

The unit Im using now is the Rachio 3. Pretty slick.
It used the local weather forecast and cancelled sprinkling the last two days.

You can clearly see the irrigation pump runs in my usage curve.

Upper field takes 300 more watts than lower field to irrigate.

Testing burn down rate so far so far storage tank has remained so close to full it might as well be.

Im seeding grass so keeping it wet.

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 2.31.27 PM.png

Pump now on dedicated circuit, let the greening begin.....

Been pumping about 5 hours a day the last 3 days, and so far the tank remains at or near full.

IMG_4749.jpeg
IMG_4750.jpeg
IMG_4751.jpeg

Have three choices of water available in certain locations.

Well- filtered once at 15um (potable)
Well-fullly treated (15um/PH corrected/ softened/activated carbon/15um) (potable)
Irrigation water- gravity filtered (not potable)

IMG_4810.jpeg

Last edited:
Back