The homogenization of cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't owned a "car" since the last century. That is because pickups fill my needs better. I said needs, not likes. To me, all the cars today just look like a used bar of soap with wheels. So many of them, I can't tell the brand or model difference if I was being water boarded to do so. There is not one car being made today that even remotely piques my interest.

Quote:
To me, all the cars today just look like a used bar of soap with wheels. So many of them, I can't tell the brand or model difference if I was being water boarded to do so. There is not one car being made today that even remotely piques my interest.

Not only that, but the generic design everyone chose is ugly! I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing a vehicle with an 'infotainment and navigation system' that will be broken and obsolete within three years, and I don't want the car deciding when to brake and steer. I enjoy driving and when I'm driving I like to actually "drive!"

What I hate is seeing these super expensive high end cars that are only a few years old and all the cheap plastic is already faded,falling off,and falling apart. My car is a 1996 and has all glass headlights. I wonder when the aweful plastic headlight craze started,I can't remember.

Well, I have to be honest in that there are some differences between the two.
One has a three pointed star on the grill while the other wears a blue oval.
Pretty significant difference in that no generation of the Taurus can be found with a three pointed star anywhere, so I guess you're right.

Things change.
All of you need to get used to it.

Not everyone wants to be driving around in 1982 Pontiac Bonneville with the 110 hp 231 V6 and a 2 bbl feedback Rochester carb.

I like today's vehicles a heck of a lot more than I liked what was being produced back in the early 80's.

Next thing you know, you guys will be complaining that the clouds in the sky aren't the same as they were 30 years ago.

BC.

Think about this. Leading edge styling is the first to go out of style. Buy a vehicle based upon the intrinsic qualities of handling, ride, comfort, convenience, and the driver's seat and you won't care as much about its "pretty face." My current car has a hideous front end (2012 Mazda3) but the driving experience trumps its ugliness.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, I have to be honest in that there are some differences between the two.
One has a three pointed star on the grill while the other wears a blue oval.
Pretty significant difference in that no generation of the Taurus can be found with a three pointed star anywhere, so I guess you're right.

mercedes-benz-e-class-2016-(3).jpg

2016-Mercedes-E-Class-E-400-interior.jpg

vs

2015-Ford-Taurus-close-up-exterior.jpg

ford-taurus-2015-interior-wallpaper-5.jpg

Yep, no difference. Get real, guy.

297.png

I agree. Much has to do with gubmint regulations. In order to sell a car in the USA today, you need to clean an arrow through a lot more hoops than 30yrs ago.

Blame the EPA, Congress, lawyers, whatever alphabet agency makes up the rules, NHTSA?, etc.

While cars handle better, are safer and have more options, they are scary complex electronically, leading some to quickly decline in value. A network analyzer wouldn't have made sense in a repair shop 30 yrs ago. Neither would an oscilloscope. Now a days, it does.

Then if a car didn't start, there was only a few things to check. Now? All sorts of things can cause a CAN-buss vehicle to not start. Had a long talk to my indy about this with either a 99-01 Volvo. That car has to check numerous small controllers before "enabling" the START condition.

That's nuts......that's why I still have my '98 amongst other reasons.

I will add it's easy to tell which designers grew up playing video games: Their designs are proof.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Heavy traffic* has caused the proliferation of the automatic transmission.

I travel a lot to European cities where the traffic is just as bad. I rarely see an automatic transmission.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Think about this. Leading edge styling is the first to go out of style. Buy a vehicle based upon the intrinsic qualities of handling, ride, comfort, convenience, and the driver's seat and you won't care as much about its "pretty face." My current car has a hideous front end (2012 Mazda3) but the driving experience trumps its ugliness.

The 2012 Mazda3 didn't have the prettiest front end of all compact sedans at that time, but it sure looks much better than all the new Lexus front ends.

The ugliest front end award is Lexus by itself, the second place(whoever) is too far behind.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Today's cars last longer, more efficient, and safer than what was produced 30+ years ago. Those old cars of 50s, 60s, 70s were junk compared to cars made today.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
eek.gif

I agree about the current Lexus/Toyota front ends. But, I'll bet there are plenty who like them.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Heavy traffic* has caused the proliferation of the automatic transmission.

I travel a lot to European cities where the traffic is just as bad. I rarely see an automatic transmission.

Good point! Maybe Americans are just lazy....or want it easy to text and drive. edit: while eating, smoking, and putting on makeup....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back