The Duke Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://pixelbark.com/13045/how-the-duke-...mbustion-engine

The Duke Engine is a four stroke "axial" reciprocating engine. The key advantage of the axial design is that the cylinders are arranged in parallel around the output/crank shaft rather than at 90 degrees as in crankshaft engines. As a result it is a very compact, cylindrical engine, allowing variation in compression ratio of the engine while running.

There is an even better video on this site about the 90 year old woman doing a double back flip! Don't miss that one.

Interesting idea, but frankly, there have been a lot of alternative engine concepts over the years that never really panned out. Mazda took a chance on the rotary and ultimately dropped it. I am all in favor of finding new efficiencies in gasoline engines, but I think this design is too far in left-field to be taken seriously. Unless a major manufacturer adopts this and sinks billions into R&D, it will probably just be a niche product or will fizzle out.

The fact of the matter is that the conventional four-stroke gas engine is incredibly reliable these days.

requires a larger amount of precision machining I think than a standard design. I like the benefits from it but a lot of the challenge is just breaking into an existing market that maintains and repairs a long-term standard. I also see a lot of friction potential from the entire spinning block.

emissions.....this is basically a two stroke engine. also, is this no really a piston version of a rotary engine??

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
emissions.....this is basically a two stroke engine. also, is this no really a piston version of a rotary engine??

That was my thought as well, that this is a way to overcomplicate a rotary engine.

Unfortunately with forced induction four cylinder engines light, cheap and fuel efficient... and now producing adequate power for most applications... I think the future of the internal combustion engine lies there.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The Duke Engine is a four stroke "axial" reciprocating engine. The key advantage of the axial design is that the cylinders are arranged in parallel around the output/crank shaft rather than at 90 degrees as in crankshaft engines. As a result it is a very compact, cylindrical engine, allowing variation in compression ratio of the engine while running.

This one is better..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uJSLDq7MkhQ

Everything you ever wanted to know about that type of engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashplate_engine

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
That's how a Sanden AC compressor works.

Which is also how the GM/Fridgidaire A6 and DA6 compressors from the 1950s-1980s worked, too. Axial pistons aren't a new idea, but making it into a 4-stroke engine is interesting. Lots of possible issues- not the least of which is that the "cylinder head" now rotates relative to the "block". Interesting challenges with sealing that... and as someone else said TONS of sliding surfaces generating friction.

Lol!! When I saw the Thread Title I immediately was thinking of the old GM 2.5L 4cyl "iron duke" of 1980's vintage.

This design would give the engineers more freedom to shape engine ports to reduce overlap, a freedom a rotary already has over a conventional 2-cycle gasoline engine. Also, since it has pistons, and something similar to a combustion chamber, engineers have more freedom to shape the combustion chamber when compared to a rotary engine, and possibly be better than a 2-cycle gasoline engine.

I don't believe this engine will be successful, there is so much precision machining that needs to be done, when compared to other designs.

Nope. Its a 4-stoke- watch the animation carefully.

Originally Posted By: dparm

There is a whole line of engines with commonalities with this going back to the Smallbone in 1906.

Barrel Engines

It appears to be a "wobble-plate" engines.

The internal combustion engine is maxed out, the future belongs to the electric engine and fuel cell eventually. These engines are just novelties.

Their have been a number of sleeve engines I think they were called used and aircraft. Than you have your opposed piston engines with the Napier Deltic diesels, etc.

As per Bruno...axial piston engines with swash plates/wobble plates, etc. have been around for a very very long time.

The barrel sweeps around a plate that has inlet (cold) exhaust port (very hot), and combustion zone...all on one circuit. Not to mention that having such a huge surface area swept at speed is crazy.

If they solve the sealing issue that this entails, they will make more money from the sealing technology than the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back