the cop just left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldhp
What??? No multiple cop cars arrive??? Common sense prevails!!!

I am stunned. Firearms usually bring out the whole force, 5 deep or more...

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Chris142, by cleaning that shotgun in the open, not only did you get at least one of the neighbors to call the police, but you have broadcast to the entire trailer park via actually being seen with it, and probably also via giving them something to talk about, that your girlfriend now keeps a shotgun in her trailer. There is probably a better than 50 percent chance that who ever has been breaking into her trailer lives in the trailer park, and also now knows about the shotgun.

And after the crook learns of the shotgun they will be doubly sure that you girlfriend is not home before they break in the next time. Because they are probably looking for valuable items, they will add that shotgun to their shopping list. Since a shotgun is a fairly long item, and there are a limited amount of places it can be hidden in a trailer, now knowing that it is there they will probably search for it and find it.

Hate to say it, but this is an important point, and it's the reason that I share very little of what I own (in firearms) with my neighbors, even though I live in a very nice area by the beach. Loose lips, rumors or details spread, until someone who might look to make a quick buck via larceny catches word of what I own. There was a rash of petty crime a few years back - kids looking for quick $$ who broke into cars.

You can see what I drive sitting in the driveway, but firearms are a quick fence/easy cash, and I prefer to keep the details to myself to minimize the risk of attracting the wrong sort of interest...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Under Oz law, if you come home and crack a coldie while cleaning your guns, you are drinking in control of firearm, and off you go into the system...

As much as your country should appeal to me (wide open spaces, 4x4s and such), I don't think I'd last a day due to the gov't there.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Hate to say it, but this is an important point, and it's the reason that I share very little of what I own (in firearms) with my neighbors, even though I live in a very nice area by the beach. Loose lips, rumors or details spread, until someone who might look to make a quick buck via larceny catches word of what I own. There was a rash of petty crime a few years back - kids looking for quick $$ who broke into cars.

You can see what I drive sitting in the driveway, but firearms are a quick fence/easy cash, and I prefer to keep the details to myself to minimize the risk of attracting the wrong sort of interest...

People in my state are learning just that...there were rumours a couple years ago that the firearms registry database was hacked...vehemently denied by the authorities, but some "coincidences" are too insane to be coincidences...central database of who has what, where, occupation, etc. is gold to crooks.

To add insult, when they are coming around to do a firearms safety inspection at your house, they have to log what they are doing over the radio...address, firearms, and a house to watch for a while.

People around here are stealing fence panelling, firearms are gold to them.

Thought this story would be relevant...I had a shotgun on ArmsList and a guy texted me while I was on a night shift at work. I texted him back when I got off around 12:00 AM. He was still up and ready to buy the gun. I met him in the parking lot of a 24 hour gas station in semi-rural Alabama and sold the shotgun in view of the store clerk at 1:00 AM. Oh, and there was a cop sitting across the parking lot. The cop saw a guy (me) pull up, give a shotgun to another guy and take money, then leave. I think the buyer went in the store to buy a beer. The cop didn't even pay attention to us...it's apparently totally normal to sell a gun in a gas station parking lot at 1:00 AM here.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Thought this story would be relevant...I had a shotgun on ArmsList and a guy texted me while I was on a night shift at work. I texted him back when I got off around 12:00 AM. He was still up and ready to buy the gun. I met him in the parking lot of a 24 hour gas station in semi-rural Alabama and sold the shotgun in view of the store clerk at 1:00 AM. Oh, and there was a cop sitting across the parking lot. The cop saw a guy (me) pull up, give a shotgun to another guy and take money, then leave. I think the buyer went in the store to buy a beer. The cop didn't even pay attention to us...it's apparently totally normal to sell a gun in a gas station parking lot at 1:00 AM here.

THAT is the type of state I need to live in. If you were to do that in NY , you would end up with a few years of jail time and the helicopters and swat teams would be there in a minute.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Chris142, by cleaning that shotgun in the open, not only did you get at least one of the neighbors to call the police, but you have broadcast to the entire trailer park via actually being seen with it, and probably also via giving them something to talk about, that your girlfriend now keeps a shotgun in her trailer. There is probably a better than 50 percent chance that who ever has been breaking into her trailer lives in the trailer park, and also now knows about the shotgun.

And after the crook learns of the shotgun they will be doubly sure that you girlfriend is not home before they break in the next time. Because they are probably looking for valuable items, they will add that shotgun to their shopping list. Since a shotgun is a fairly long item, and there are a limited amount of places it can be hidden in a trailer, now knowing that it is there they will probably search for it and find it.

That's exactly how I feel. I try my best to keep what I own under wraps. When I go shooting I back the car into the garage and load the firearms so no one can see what I'm doing.

How I miss the good old days of the early 70's. I was in several clubs in high-school. Debate team, chess club, and gun club. I don't remember how often each one of those met, but it was probably something like once every two weeks. All the meetings were right after the last class of the day. Each club had a specific room they almost always used. And when the gun club met, about half of the members would bring in a gun, in a case, and never with any ammo. I remember walking into school with a leather gun case that would either have a shotgun or a riffle in it, and putting it in my locker in the morning and taking it out of the locker right after the last class and taking it to the gun club meeting. A few teachers gave me a second look as I walked down the hall with a gun case, but not one ever said a word to me. There were probably something like 2500 students attending that school back then, and no one ever gave a gun a second look. The girl majorettes had about ten old WWII riffles that were white washed. At the football games those girls could spin those riffles like batons. I don't think I ever saw one of them get dropped. And when their fathers marched in parades some of those same riffles were fired for the 21 gun salute in front of every cemetery the parade passed, in honor of he veterans who are buried there, so those guns still worked. Of course the Vietnam war was still going on, and every boy in high-school knew he had to sign up for the draft and pray his number (it was done by you birth day, for those of you too young to know) did not come up in the draft lottery. Maybe because all the men (teachers, to custodians) knew that graduation for every boy in high-school meant a chance of being picked via the draft lottery, no one ever though anything bad about having a gun club with members who actually brought guns to school so they could show them to other members at the meeting. Sure the guns were locked in the lockers all day, and they stayed in their case until inside the room when the meeting was being held. But we really did give about the same attention to bringing a chess board and chess set to school, as we gave bringing a gun in a case. And we rode the public buss to school with the gun in a case, and came back home on the bus with the same gun in a case.

It certainly was a different world than today.

Rifle team had their rifles in school...and during deer season, the kids would be asked to leave their hunting rifles in the corner of the classroom....Yep, the 70's in rural America was, well, like living in America!

Dad grew up on a farm in Goliad TX. During dove and quail season there was a whole row of shotguns in the back of the classroom as the boys would go shooting after class on the walk home. Nothing under lock and key. No accidental discharges, no one got hurt. Go figure.

Ain't it amazing what being taught responsibility and moral behavior can do for a fellow.
My mother taught me to shoot straight and speak the truth, not too much more needed if you follow the golden rule
YMMV

Smoky

Teddy Roosevelt said it best "Walk softly and carry a big stick". I agree its a bad idea to advertise you have the gun. Best way for an intruder to find out you have one is when they are facing the business end of it, not before. Not only will it be on the shopping list, but they might come with a boomstick of their own.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I missed the part where you said it was her driveway. Trailer park? Probably some old busybody-type person.

Why not be courteous and not cause any alarming reactions by cleaning your guns on your own property. I bet if I went out and started cleaning my guns in front of my neighbor's house it might cause some suspicion and alarm (and probably a call to 911) too.
whistle.gif

ZeeOSix: Are you serious? Courteous! It is not the firearm owner's porblem. It is the brainwashed neighbors. Reeducate the neighbors rather than conform to their perceptions while living in alternate reality.

Every time we do this it erodes our rights under, at the minimum, the 2nd Amendment.

In CA you are lucky there was not SWAT, ATF, National Guard, a Bloomberg representative, and a psychiatrist. If you have children, they would have also been confiscated and turned over to some loony who collects children. Your possessions would be confiscated. Firearms and ammunition (or targets, or Hoppes) would be confiscated and destroyed.

Last edited:
Yep, the 70's in rural America was, well, like living in America!

I was born in 1969,so I grew up in the 70s. And I totally agree with you,the 70s was an amazing time to grow up in!

Waving a gun around is not a right, it is silly and irresponsible gun ownership that gives us all a bad rep.

I keep all mine out of sight. If you see one that's a bad outcome for you...

Originally Posted By: alternety
ZeeOSix: Are you serious? Courteous! It is not the firearm owner's porblem. It is the brainwashed neighbors. Reeducate the neighbors rather than conform to their perceptions while living in alternate reality.

Every time we do this it erodes our rights under, at the minimum, the 2nd Amendment.

In CA you are lucky there was not SWAT, ATF, National Guard, a Bloomberg representative, and a psychiatrist. If you have children, they would have also been confiscated and turned over to some loony who collects children. Your possessions would be confiscated. Firearms and ammunition (or targets, or Hoppes) would be confiscated and destroyed.

All I'm saying is that times have changed, and no matter what you try to do you will never make it like it use to be. The actions of a few sickos in our society (along with media hype) over the years has given guns a bad name in general.

I grew up in a relatively small city when I could down the street as a 12 year old with a LOADED firearm and nobody would raise an eyebrow. Let's see a 12 year old walk down the street today in a large city with a 12-ga shotgun ... won't be but 10 seconds before a dozen 911 calls come pouring in. You see what I'm saying?

What I'm saying is that today as being part of a responsible gun owner I'm not going to go "flaunt" firearms in society even though it's legal because I DON'T WANT THE HASSLE OF THE LAW on my arse. I can do without that, and therefore I think ahead and act accordingly. My state is legal open carry, but I bet I'd be 911ed the first time I walked into a store with a 45 Auto strapped to my belt. I have nothing to prove to anyone by flaunting a firearm legally. The only time it will be "flaunted" is when it's pulled from legal concealment and pointed at somebody and ready to discharge to protect myself or others.

OPSEC. Operational Security. Keeping information of your movements, intentions, and inventory from those that would use it to harm you. Learn it. Live it.

I don't care whether I give the vapors to old busy bodies by accidentally showing a firearm in the daily routine, but they tell people that tell people that say, "O RLY?"

I have a buddy that was robbed of everything valuable several times. He just couldn't keep his mouth shut and had too many people in/out of his house.

It's a brave new world, and news travels fast. Trust no one. Keep it toned down and have your SA (situational awareness) antennae turned on always.

I'm with you. There are details of my life (financial resources, valuable personal property, including firearms, when I happen to be travelling out of town) that I prefer to keep private...

Many people like to "show off" or brag about what they have, but that knowledge provides the unscrupulous with targeting information. Discretion is often the best policy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Under Oz law, if you come home and crack a coldie while cleaning your guns, you are drinking in control of firearm, and off you go into the system...

As much as your country should appeal to me (wide open spaces, 4x4s and such), I don't think I'd last a day due to the gov't there.

Yea, Oz. It's like if Texas were governed by Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back