The Bimbofication of the American Vehicle

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I had to ask if his junk was really that small that he needed this truck to compensate.

It's kinda disturbing that you would have any interest at all in the size of another man's "junk".

I started this topic, forgot about it until now.
This thread should have been in the humor section.
Some of the posts are hilarious.

I like ....You want 4X4? Oh, that must mean you also want leather, XM radio, sun roof...

Mine would be; You want a Diesel Cruze? That must mean you want leather XM radio, sun roof...
Or; You want a 1500 with the 6.2L? That must mean you want the Denali, leather sun roof,..
You want a 4X4 with the off road package? Grease nipples on the steering components? Whats that?

I want to buy a car or truck, they want to sell me a monthly payment on a microwave oven.
I can see the whole landscape of vehicle sales changing very soon.
I am the customer, this is what I want and don't want, call me when you have it figured out and not before.

You want the sports channel? Oh, that must mean you also want the shopping channel.
NOT!
Bimbofication!!! You heard it here first.

If you really want to hear people talk about bimbofication, find a hardcore BMW enthusiasts reaction to the creation of the X1, X3, X5, and similar BMWs.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I started this topic, forgot about it until now.
This thread should have been in the humor section.
Some of the posts are hilarious.

I like ....You want 4X4? Oh, that must mean you also want leather, XM radio, sun roof...

Mine would be; You want a Diesel Cruze? That must mean you want leather XM radio, sun roof...
Or; You want a 1500 with the 6.2L? That must mean you want the Denali, leather sun roof,..
You want a 4X4 with the off road package? Grease nipples on the steering components? Whats that?

I want to buy a car or truck, they want to sell me a monthly payment on a microwave oven.
I can see the whole landscape of vehicle sales changing very soon.
I am the customer, this is what I want and don't want, call me when you have it figured out and not before.

You want the sports channel? Oh, that must mean you also want the shopping channel.
NOT!
Bimbofication!!! You heard it here first.

As you probably know they're hiding the powertrain expenses in geegaws and doodads. The Liberty Diesel was the same way; only available on the Eddie Vetter shag carpet top of the line model.

Even if the bigger engine isn't that much harder to make, the CAFE penalty makes them stick it in front of the Airline Lounge cabin.
wink.gif

To put it another way, leather seats aren't $1000 to make. If the roof is preconfigured structurally for a moonroof (most are), they're pulling in profit there too.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The Bimbofication of the American Vehicle or the feminization of the male car buyer?

Your comment has nailed the situation. Otherwise there would not be $60,000 pickup trucks with far more creature comforts than a ten year old caddy ever had. And these trucks are selling quite well.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yep. My cousin bought a king ranch. Got a 6" lift from a ford dealer in Alberta so warranty was maintained. 22" tires.
And never left the ashphalt. 90000 dollars for a status symbol. I had to ask if his junk was really that small that he needed this truck to compensate.

Lots of them in more well-to-do parts of the Bay Area(mostly the Walnut Creek-Pleasanton/Dublin/Livermore corridor), and in Orange County/Riverside County. If I ever bought a truck, I'll stop at Lariat or the Toyota equivalent which I think is SR5. Gosh, for the same amount of scratch for a King Ranch or Platinum F-150 I can buy a used Lexus GX460/LX570!

If you ask me about a bimbofied SUV, the Audi Q series(and its VW/Porsche stablemates) and anything Range Rover are it. I see too many seniors in Lexus RXs.

I'll have to start a new topic for seniors.
Nincompoopmobiles.
My dad went nincompoopmobil on us.
His last new car, a 98 Taurus wagon.....well, nothing worked on it except the warranty repair department.
It sat in my yard until a few months ago, when I finally gave it away to a mushroom picker.

I have a nincompoopmobil driver up where I live.

He lost his drivers license enough times from dui's that now he makes his daily trip to the liquor store on his Bobcat.
Why?
Because the engine in his ride on lawnmower seized a year ago and he is running low on options.

These "grumpy old man" threads are always amusing.
smile.gif

There was a time when a pickup truck with power windows and locks was considered "fancy". The fact of the matter is, luxury items become cheaper over time and then eventually make their way into "regular" vehicles.

I just find it hilarious when someone starts talking about what other people "need" and "don't need" in the context of these vehicle amenities. Then, when the same discussion is brought to this self-proclaimed "judge" to address the size of their own home, their TV, the fact they chose a car that gets 25MPG instead of 50MPG ,etc, etc. we get excuses or pin-drop silence.

You forgot collecting a big fat pension then using the "old boys club" to cherry pick a double dip gig.

But no, your idea of a functional vehicle is one with navigation, XM radio, Wi-Fi hot-spot on wheels, hand-free smart phone, where the cops are hiding network, appointment reminder, automatic drive-through coffee-shop order and debit, travelling bimbofied geekmobil pickup truck driving around on P-rated car tires because anything truck-like will result in a 50 page blog about a phantom vibration, and I'm a closet 0W20 fan-boy because it gives me better fuel mileage, curmudgeon repelling I wish I was a Prius instead truck.

The old story was called "The Princess and the Pea", but that should be changed to something more contemporary.

At the other end of the rainbow, we have the lifted trucks that have never seen a dirt road, I'm bad because I own a Harley and have a tattoo, but at home when nobody is looking, its all about hugging trees, saving whales, anti-hunting, green tea, veggie burgers and fat-free yogurt all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Quit making vehicles people don't want".

They brighten up for a while, the economy recovers a little, and they go right back at it, with their heads where?

Your opinions clearly are not that of the "people".

Buyers want safe, comfortable vehicles.

With financial engineering tools like 7 year loans they are able to make such commitments... for now.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The 66-77 Bronco,while having its place,became old and dated by 1977.The 1978 full size F150 based replacement sold over 4 times as many as the 77.This was in the era of the big Blazer/Jimmy,Ramcharger/Trailduster,and Wagoneer/Cherokee.Its what the public wanted at the time.Yes,they did a 1964 vs 73 Mustang bloat job on it,but people wanted the size,weight and seating capacity.The small CJs,Scout 80/800,Toyota FJ were just too small for their "needs".

I disagree. The 71+ Mustang was a huge flop that people ran away from as fast as they could.

You forgot collecting a big fat pension then using the "old boys club" to cherry pick a double dip gig.

But no, your idea of a functional vehicle is one with navigation, XM radio, Wi-Fi hot-spot on wheels, [...]

Since you replied to yourself there, I have no idea who you're talking to. Oh, and I also have no idea what you're talking about.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
"Quit making vehicles people don't want".

They brighten up for a while, the economy recovers a little, and they go right back at it, with their heads where?

Your opinions clearly are not that of the "people".

Buyers want safe, comfortable vehicles.

With financial engineering tools like 7 year loans they are able to make such commitments... for now.

Actually it is more like the manufacturers pushing want THEY want the buyers to get, even if that means NOT providing models that the buyers REALLY want. After all if those more basic vehicles are NOT made available consumers can't buy them, can they??
whistle.gif
smirk.gif

Last edited:
You have a point there. For example, I want to buy an Alfa ROmeo Giulietta but it is not offered in the US.

1280px-2013_Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_%28940_MY13%29_Distinctive_hatchback_%282015-07-09%29.jpg

Absolutely Alfred!

I wonder how many folks realize that the rather boring Dodge Dart is basically the same platform as the Giulietta?

Instead of FCA bothering with the Dart project they should have just federalized the Giulietta and sold it here immediately, it would have been a real hit, and they could have lowered the price to around the price of the mid upper trim Dart because sales volumes would have been higher, and it would have put the Alfa name back on the radar in the USA.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Dodge needs products though.

They really don't as you can buy Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep all in the same store. A range of products for every potential buyer. It's not like a decade ago or so when you had stand alone Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep stores, it is very rare if they exist at all anymore.

I have one example sans comedy act.

GM has two vehicles built on the same platform, the Buick Verano and the Chevy Cruze.
Historically, the Buick was the luxury brand and Chev, the utility.

Gm in their golf course bred wisdom put the 2.0 Diesel in the Cruse, then jacked the price up more by offering it only in the bimbo'd model.

In Canuck Confederate money, the Diesel Cruse is priced $10K over the base models in both brands.

Monthly payment plus operating cost is what GM is selling, which is flat-lined in this case.
What is potentially saved by having the Diesel option is consumed by the higher monthly payment.

Good for GM if they sell the Diesel Cruse, good for Volkswagen if they don't sell.
Because of the price point GM put the Diesel Cruze in, they both cost the same.

Typical of North American autos, both the Verano and Cruze are growing in size instead of becoming more compact and fuel efficient for 2016.

Instead of holding the price on a more efficient smaller car, growing them up is always the way its been done, and a new smaller model slipped under the new larger platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back