The Bimbofication of the American Vehicle

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: hatt
Not really understanding this thread.

+1

I *think* it's some kind of grouchy old man complaint thread?!?!?!?

Originally Posted By: used_0il
lets say I was purchasing 1,000 HD vehicles a year for BNSF or UP. I need a frame, so the vans are out.
I need at least E rubber, so the light duty half tons and suv's are out.

I need lock up for expensive signal, radio and computer equipment.

I need the vehicle to seat at least 4 guys and all their junk.
For the radio and signal techs in the field seating for two is adequate.

Now add the mining, forestry and oil field.
What are their options besides a one ton crew cab truck with a canopy or enclosed work box?

Are your needs all that much different in an RV?
If you're buying 1000 units a year I'm sure GM would sort you out. Heck Ford would probably make you special runs of Excursions to your specs.

When did a burb become secure storage for expensive gear?

My mum had a 1988 Suburban 2500 Silverado 4wd growing up. From other parents vehicles the new one is absolutely superior in amentities etc.

I remember freezing my tail off because the doors were leaky(good old American engineering) and the heating system (front only) designed for a pickup truck was used. My mom would be hot while us kids froze. They did include rear AC though but it dripped water on head of 3rd row passengers.

I'll take the new one anyday!!!!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The marketers have convinced a lot of folks in snowy areas that they need 4WD/AWD. It's hard to find 2WD SUV's/CUV's or pickups around me. And once they got AWD, well, they must "need" leather heated seats and all the rest of the stuff if they "need" AWD.

Don't blame marketing for this.

First, blame employers that offer pay for snow days as a "benefit", then never, ever actually call a snow day, no matter what the weather?

Next, blame local governments that pay crazy overtime to armies of salt spreaders and snow plowers, public and private, because politicians (and some of their constituents) feel they need to have the streets open within hours.

Auto marketers never created this situation. Give them credit for creating what people really want, which is a vehicle that combines the best features of the family station wagon, the 4WD pickup and the luxury sedan. If you don't want one, don't buy one.

I read somewhere the auto manufacturers spend $13 billion on advertising annually to tell/convince us what kind of car we want/need. If you watch the evening news, the endless car ads makes one think its about buying a new car and not the day's news.

I dunno, I tried driving my truck in rwd with all seasons in snow. Even with ballast I went to snows. rwd with snows is about the same as fwd with worn all seasons. Maybe the manual trans helps (pretty sure it does) but since most crossovers are autos... I am not surprised at the drive for awd.

True that my 2015 2500HD has so much stuff in it that is more for the auto crowd, but I still really like it. I will never use a lot of the wow features that came with the pickup. I would not have selected a lot of the stuff that came with the pickup, but anymore, you want one thing, you have to take a group of things. Everything now is in package groups. So while I really liked my '79 Bronco, I am very content with my 2015 2500HD. My only beef is that I have to pay for a lot of stuff that I don't want. But it is what it is. To get what I did want, I had to take the other stuff. And some stuff, I had no choice since it was part of the basis pickup anyway. Like tire pressure monitoring stuff. I don't run the OEM recommended pressures unless really loaded up, so the TPMS is always having a fit. I just ignore it.

Electric windows, heated seats, reversing camera, sat nav, power steering, a distinct lack of three locking diffs, air conditioning, cup holders and and leather.

The above list is inclusive of all traits that might define 'bimbofied'. Any vehicle with any of the features in the list above can be considered 'bimbofied'

I drove an 84 K10 Custom Deluxe for the better part of two decades. Then a Lariat F350 and XLT F150. Bimbo features are pretty nice is the conclusion. The modern XLT seems a nice mix of niceties but not overdone.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Electric windows, heated seats, reversing camera, sat nav, power steering, a distinct lack of three locking diffs, air conditioning, cup holders and and leather.

The above list is inclusive of all traits that might define 'bimbofied'. Any vehicle with any of the features in the list above can be considered 'bimbofied'

Electric windows, power steering, air conditioning, and cup holders are essential equipment and have been for a long time. No bimbos there IMO. Anyway, used_Oil invented the term "bimbofication." He is the one that should define exactly what it means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I dunno, I tried driving my truck in rwd with all seasons in snow. Even with ballast I went to snows. rwd with snows is about the same as fwd with worn all seasons. Maybe the manual trans helps (pretty sure it does) but since most crossovers are autos... I am not surprised at the drive for awd.

I had no trouble with what most would call the WORST possible winter vehicle: a short-wheelbase, V8, 2WD Dakota!

My old RWD truck is why I got 4wd this time around, RWD is at best OK in the snow. Even though except for a brief stint in a Camry RWD is all I have ever owned or driven in the snow.

New vehicles are awesome though, my 2015 truck does everything better than my 2005 did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
lets say I was purchasing 1,000 HD vehicles a year for BNSF or UP. I need a frame, so the vans are out.
I need at least E rubber, so the light duty half tons and suv's are out.

We own new 3500 series Chevrolet Express' that are full frame vehicles rated at 9700 pounds GVWR, of course with E rated tires. Their cargo capacity is just over two tons.

They have a place in many businesses. My Factory Authorized Upfitter buys well over a thousand a year. GM provides a liason for their exclusive needs and they always get a new van WAY ahead of the stealerships so they can do R&D...

Why stop there? Let's include more of what's not REALLY necessary. Radios, electric starters, power brakes, alloy wheels, sunroofs, etc. Heck, just take out ALL windows...many cars didn't have windows for years...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Why stop there? Let's include more of what's not REALLY necessary. Radios, electric starters, power brakes, alloy wheels, sunroofs, etc. Heck, just take out ALL windows...many cars didn't have windows for years...
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

I remember a long trip in a seventies 3/4 ton Suburban.
The thing had air and the upgraded interior trim and was quite pleasant to drive on the interstate.
IIRC, it also had dual tanks and would take around forty gallons of fuel.
Not fancy, but a very roomy and useful vehicle.
The genes of this old beast still inform current Suburbans, although they are heavily overlaid with faux luxury accouterments and are no longer the great value they once were.

The Bimbofication of the American Vehicle or the feminization of the male car buyer?

BITOG fact: Any car with any option that I don't personally want is a bimbofied yuppie scumwagon.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I work with a guy who just bought a new F-150 King Ranch.
I tell him its nice and pretty but way too girlie-heated seats and steering wheel, moon roof,auto headlights and wipers.The list goes on and on.
Not a truck at all,more like a Lincoln with a small bed in back.

Yep. My cousin bought a king ranch. Got a 6" lift from a ford dealer in Alberta so warranty was maintained. 22" tires.
And never left the ashphalt. 90000 dollars for a status symbol. I had to ask if his junk was really that small that he needed this truck to compensate.
I am a practical person and my money has to earn its keep. I buy 10000 dollar trucks,beat them horribly and 10 years later they go to the wrecker having made me money every day it was used.
Heck I don't drive the 2013 ram I inherited from my dad. I just can't justify the expense since I have my Chevy's which I don't care about dents and scratches.
I'm sure I'll get into it this winter but for now it's just not a practical expense.

Back