that would explain a lot of things in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to travel to any point in history, you would find the last generation proclaiming the new one is going to heck in a hand basket. In my research I found that in the past, it was considered a guarantee this was going to happen to the "sex crazed weed smoking" baby boomers. Years later, the baby boomers declared the Gen-Xers cared about nothing, would never define themselves, and would accomplish nothing. The things being said about the millenials make it sound like the zombie apocalypse is right around the corner.

The world is always in peril.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: slowdime
As for schools graduating people that can barely read and write, look no further than pressures placed on schools by the govt and helicopter parents. If little Billy doesn't quite get algebra then maybe he should be held back. Or if little Billy can't read or write a cogent, grammatically correct sentence, maybe the school system deserves a better look.

There is a huge amount of barely literate and innumerate people in North America, but it's hard to tell if it's actually worse than it once was or not. I certainly agree that teachers are passing people who probably shouldn't be passed, but these days, a high school diploma doesn't mean much, anyhow. As long as they're not being given the grades to take up a valuable university space, I'm not terribly concerned. Nonetheless, if one cannot do the task, one should not pass.

I work in the medical field as a lowly cna as I put myself through college. By reading the notes left by my coworkers it's safe to say that basic written communication skills are lacking among those in my age cohort (twenty somethings if you will).
I take one online class and one regular class each term, and by reading the postings made by my peers online, it's clear that plenty of folks that don't belong in higher education are there anyway.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
If you were to travel to any point in history, you would find the last generation proclaiming the new one is going to heck in a hand basket. In my research I found that in the past, it was considered a guarantee this was going to happen to the "sex crazed weed smoking" baby boomers. Years later, the baby boomers declared the Gen-Xers cared about nothing, would never define themselves, and would accomplish nothing. The things being said about the millenials make it sound like the zombie apocalypse is right around the corner.

The world is always in peril.

i thought about it too. you clearly have a point. i guess those reflections are natural as we age.

You don't have to worry about students not making the grade. All they have to do is lower the score needed to pass. It's worked in the past and it will work now.

And worry not about life skills. All you have to do is hand the EBT card to the clerk. They know which way it goes to complete the sale.

And with the new proposal for government run day care centers, mothers won't even have to master the skills need to change diapers.

And absentee fathers no longer have to feel guilty about drinking up and smoking all the child support money. They can just move on to the next woman that needs to up the head count for a bigger monthly check.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You don't have to worry about students not making the grade. All they have to do is lower the score needed to pass. It's worked in the past and it will work now.

And worry not about life skills. All you have to do is hand the EBT card to the clerk. They know which way it goes to complete the sale.

And with the new proposal for government run day care centers, mothers won't even have to master the skills need to change diapers.

And absentee fathers no longer have to feel guilty about drinking up and smoking all the child support money. They can just move on to the next woman that needs to up the head count for a bigger monthly check.

+1 Thats 100% spot on.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

+1 Thats 100% spot on.

+2 Yes, it is right on target. I heard something on TV that about half of adults are now on some sort of government funded support.

But, if you employ basic mathematics, it quickly becomes obvious that some people have to be working to support the ones who are not working.

The REAL unemployment rate is something like 10% and we badly need to get more people working in full time employment.

You know, I actually decided to research this matter, given all of the vitriol surrounding EBT food assistance, and I was surprised to discover this benefit has a maximum of $200 a month. I have a hard time believing anyone who was ever motivated at all is going to just give up their career path for $200 a month in food assistance.

I'm not understanding how a government daycare program will be detrimental to society. Government employees have been using government daycare for decades, and I've heard no horror stories.

I understand that these things don't make people happy, but a lot of this is touching on hyperbole.

When a person had to work hard all of their life (I worked over 33 years at my last place of employment) and you are standing in line at the grocery store behind somebody who pulls out one of those food assistance cards and pays for their groceries, and meanwhile they are talking to somebody on their iPhone, it is kind of hard to feel that sorry for them.

The federal government never seemed too eager to do anything for me. I never had one of those food assistance cards. The most I ever received was unemployment between jobs.

You know, I actually decided to research this matter, given all of the vitriol surrounding EBT food assistance, and I was surprised to discover this benefit has a maximum of $200 a month. I have a hard time believing anyone who was ever motivated at all is going to just give up their career path for $200 a month in food assistance.

I'm not understanding how a government daycare program will be detrimental to society. Government employees have been using government daycare for decades, and I've heard no horror stories.

I understand that these things don't make people happy, but a lot of this is touching on hyperbole.

You don't understand how government daycare program will be detrimental to society?
With this gang in power are you serious or what? Its a golden brainwashing opportunity.
How long before bugs end up on the school lunch menu. LOL

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/world/united-nations-save-the-planet-eat-bugs

http://www.wggb.com/2013/08/21/does-welfare-pay-more-than-working-for-minimum-wage-in-mass/

All government programs are subject to abuse, including other subsidies under the Farm Bill, tax abuses by the wealthy, educational subsidies, petroleum subsidies, and more. Of the most heavily abused government subsidies, EBT actually has the least monetary payout per individual of them all by an extreme margin. I'm having a hard time understanding why it is that the lowly EBT program is the largest target of hate, when it delivers the least to those who have the least. Meanwhile other programs deliver truckloads of nearly undocumented hard currency to individuals who are arguably well off or living in extreme excess, and are hardly ever mentioned.

Is it just an easier concept to dispose of tax dollars to those who really don't need it?

You don't understand how government daycare program will be detrimental to society?
With this gang in power are you serious or what? Its a golden brainwashing opportunity.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/world/united-nations-save-the-planet-eat-bugs

http://www.wggb.com/2013/08/21/does-welfare-pay-more-than-working-for-minimum-wage-in-mass/

Wow. That article really connects a lot of dots that are not there. Kofi was born in Ghana, and is giving his personal views on eating bugs. Nowhere does he ever say that he is pushing for legislation or anything. The article even says he is the EX head honcho at the UN.

With regards to the second article, how exactly are they coming up with that figure? In order to qualify for WIC, a person must have children. How many children are they anticipating someone have to get to those figures? 30?

I'm still not seeing where there is any plan or intent to have special political education in government day care.

I am definitely not a fan of the government, but I'm not seeing where government run daycare, which has been in practice for years, is going to cause harm now.

Wow. That article really connects a lot of dots that are not there. Kofi was born in Ghana, and is giving his personal views on eating bugs. Nowhere does he ever say that he is pushing for legislation or anything. The article even says he is the EX head honcho at the UN.

With regards to the second article, how exactly are they coming up with that figure? In order to qualify for WIC, a person must have children. How many children are they anticipating someone have to get to those figures? 30?

I'm still not seeing where there is any plan or intent to have special political education in government day care.

I am definitely not a fan of the government, but I'm not seeing where government run daycare, which has been in practice for years, is going to cause harm now.

You think they need to advertise a plan to implement this garbage? Just manipulate the school books to reflect their own misguided beliefs. There are more than enough fruit cakes that will gleefully go along.
Kids are already coming home from school filled full of garbage already now we can just start earlier.

I wont go any further into this its too political.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
I take one online class and one regular class each term, and by reading the postings made by my peers online, it's clear that plenty of folks that don't belong in higher education are there anyway.

Yep, I remember many, many years ago, I had to help a dentistry student edit the heck out of a paper. He had never written an essay or research paper, so there was a real mess to clean up. Yet, he had some of the highest marks around. He just didn't have a very rounded background. He might have been innumerate, too, since dentists don't need a lot of math.
wink.gif

This was political from the get-go, and that didn't seem to stop you before now.

Is there another reason you want to stop?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

This was political from the get-go, and that didn't seem to stop you before now.

Is there another reason you want to stop?

Paranoia of government indoctrination in public schools is tinfoil hat territory. Nobody actually likes being on welfare and the payouts are nowhere near what the Cato institute claims.
I work and go to school full time. Without government assistance in the form of food stamps, Pell grants, and medicaid I wouldn't be able to go to school.
The idea of cutting off all public assistance and then [censored] about lazy uneducated knuckledraggers is flawed logic. How can you reasonably expect anyone to get ahead in life when they can't afford to meet their basic human needs?
I'll gladly suck on the government teet while I complete school so I can better my own economic prospects.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
If government run daycare is anything like government run schools it will be bad.

More time for welfare moms to get their nails, hair and tattoos done while government watches her 5 kids.

You think they need to advertise a plan to implement this garbage? Just manipulate the school books to reflect their own misguided beliefs. There are more than enough fruit cakes that will gleefully go along.
Kids are already coming home from school filled full of garbage already now we can just start earlier.

I honestly wouldn't rule anything out, but what I'm saying is that government day care is not a new and unknown concept. It's been practice for decades.

Day care rarely has any educational curriculum. Day care is for children too young to go to school. They're hardly prime candidates for political programming.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Mystic
If government run daycare is anything like government run schools it will be bad.

More time for welfare moms to get their nails, hair and tattoos done while government watches her 5 kids.

I'm still not understanding the root of the vitriol. Every person who has children going to a public school and after school program is using government day care.

At what point in the history of our country did a person who doesn't have their children with them all day long become a ne're-do-well?

A person can't have an honest reason like work or school to need daycare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back