Texas about to do away with auto inspections

This proves that emissions tests are more important to some people than actual safety.

Emissions drive-by: PASS
No brakes left: Don't care...PASS

Tie Rod End about to separate?: dont care: PASS

Bald tires: dont care...PASS

But hey you passed the emissions test....

This is ridiculous if you ask this mechanic

This proves that emissions tests are more important to some people than actual safety.

Emissions are federal compliance via the Clean Air Act everything else has no federal compliance component so nobody cares. I

But no one asks the mechanic, they listened to the Greenies and did are they demanded.

But no one asks the mechanic, they listened to the Greenies and did are they demanded.

If there was no Clean Air Act there would probably be no emissions test either in Texas. The demise of mechanical safety inspections are a nod to poor constituents who allegedly can't afford to repair said items.

My great grandfather was a wildcat oil driller along the Red River and a gusher would leak hundreds or thousands of gallons of oil all over the place. That would probably be illegal today under the Clean Water Act but clean water is overrated if it's inconvenient or "don't bother me cause I live upstream".

Last edited:

From what I've heard some States w/o inspections do them on the side of the road randomly? And of course you still gotta pay $7.50 fee. Of course......There are so many bad cars on the road that would never pass as it is.
Drivers will think they are better off till they get tickets for lights out. Will cost a lot more than the inspection would have. How is it in your State?
I'm 100% in favor of keeping the state safety inspections. It keeps some truly crap vehicles off of the road, and they require proof of insurance when the inspection is done so they have insurance for at least 1 month out of the year. We are too close to the border to NOT have inspections. In many counties we need to have the emission check done anyway.
This^^^^^^^^. I don't wanna dodge, additional car parts, bumpers , wheels, and tires on the roadway.

I'm going to go with my Sportwagen would fail ahahahahah. Aftermarket downpipe/high-flow cat...300CEL I believe. You can smell it so I know it's not passing that way. What do they do if you go through it and don't live there?

We were able to force the sensor to read 'ready' on Evos via a MUT editor. Going into the state emission inspection garage with a full uncatted exhaust...yessir my car is 100% legal ;)

We were able to force the sensor to read 'ready' on Evos via a MUT editor. Going into the state emission inspection garage with a full uncatted exhaust...yessir my car is 100% legal ;)
Same for these cars - you flash to stock ECU, drive for X miles until all readiness monitors are set and you will pass OBDII emissions. Caveat is if you have a DP, you'll potentially have a CEL for the O2 sensor but can run a spacer to try to get that right.

Same for these cars - you flash to stock ECU, drive for X miles until all readiness monitors are set and you will pass OBDII emissions. Caveat is if you have a DP, you'll potentially have a CEL for the O2 sensor but can run a spacer to try to get that right.

Is your cat in the downpipe? I noticed more and more cars doing that I assume for efficiency. Ours was under the car, after the downpipe and before the muffler with it's own flanges. I had the spacer and it worked for me but it was a 50/50 chance of that working for other owners. If the spacers didn't work, you could find somebody to force the sensor to read permanently ready as opposed to resetting it and the P0420 code eventually coming up later.

I feel like there are enough dangerous cars on the road as it is without inspections.
IMO, the dangerous cars aren't nearly as big of a hazard as the dangerous drivers! Why not retest every driver every year? And BTW let's put some real knowledge and driving skill challanges into the driving test and not just Can-you-fog-a-mirror?

IMO, the dangerous cars aren't nearly as big of a hazard as the dangerous drivers! Why not retest every driver every year? And BTW let's put some real knowledge and driving skill challanges into the driving test and not just Can-you-fog-a-mirror?
See post #142

There are some fine folks in Virginia who know their junk won't pass emissions so they register it at a cousin's house in Fauquier county (where emissions tests aren't required) despite the fact that the vehicle is actually garaged in Prince William county (where they are). I figure the data from the road side emissions testing might catch some of this.

EDIT: This site says:

EDIT: Virginia law code here says that any vehicle primarily operated in Northern VA is subject to these requirements regardless of where in Virginia it's registered: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title9/agency5/chapter91/section30/
They do that in WV, register across the river in Ohio, to beat the Inspection, also WV pays property tax EVERY year, to beat the tax too,

I personally think vehicle (safety) inspections are a good thing. I do wish they would do away with the part of the inspection that has nothing to do with safety OBD check. If you have a car/truck in great safety condition but have a check engine light on, It could coust hundreds if not more just to pass. That I think is B.S.

I personally think vehicle (safety) inspections are a good thing. I do wish they would do away with the part of the inspection that has nothing to do with safety OBD check. If you have a car/truck in great safety condition but have a check engine light on, It could coust hundreds if not more just to pass. That I think is B.S.
Generally-if you have a check engine light you are polluting the air. That is not B.S. since we all have to breath.

Last edited:
One problem with mandatory inspections is that irresponsible people will just drive around on expired, missing, or fake license plates anyway.

I remember about 8 years ago asking my inspection place what the criteria was on tires. Granted the tires on my wife’s car were almost to the wear bars. Their response was as long as cord isn’t showing…I was like good to know.

Was thinking about this one driving 1-1/2 hours on the interstate after dark - hundreds of cars - not a single taillight or headlight out … Quite a few of them were obviously LED - 100% of mine were …
You wouldn’t see that 20 years ago …

Was thinking about this one driving 1-1/2 hours on the interstate after dark - hundreds of cars - not a single taillight or headlight out … Quite a few of them were obviously LED - 100% of mine were …
You wouldn’t see that 20 years ago …
Not sure where your alternate universe access point is but that's interesting. And surprising. Around here with scores and scores of cars there's always at least one with bad lights somewhere, at least one. Often several. Really hate to see this mistake happening. More and more typical though.

Back