Test drove a Regal Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smaller? Very comparable size wise imo. As said, Sonata Turbo has higher rated hp and mpg on regular fuel than Regal Turbo/Regal Turbo GS on premium.

The Buick Regal GS is aiming primarily at the Acura TSX and the Audi A4 more than the Sonato turbo. Different class of cars and it's about more than things like minor HP difference figures and gas milage. Although some may think the Sonata is better than the Acura and Audi too
smirk.gif
. Maybe Chevrolet will come out with a Malibu Turbo to compete with the Sonata. I think I'd rather have the Malibu even than the Sonata.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The Buick Regal GS is aiming primarily at the Acura TSX and the Audi A4 more than the Sonato turbo. Different class of cars and it's about more than things like minor HP difference figures and gas milage. Although some may think the Sonata is better than the Acura and Audi too
smirk.gif
. Maybe Chevrolet will come out with a Malibu Turbo to compete with the Sonata. I think I'd rather have the Malibu even than the Sonata.

I think they plan to. For the next major Malibu revision they are eliminating the V6 engine in favor of a smaller, turbocharged 4 cylinder, but I'm not sure the details beyond that.

I'm all for downsized and turbo'd engines. I owned a 1987 Thunderbird turbo coupe with the mighty 2.3L turbo engine. It was a heavy car, 5 speed transmission and tiny engine. I loved it. Plus it did exceptionally well at altitude. Top speed was supposed to be 140MPH for that year. Certainly not underpowered.

With today's technology, a modern 4 cylinder turbo will provide superb power. The Regal and others are conventional cars with some even pushing 300HP in stock form now.

Last edited:
As this thread is about the Regal Turbo not the Turbo GS, that was the intended and direct comparison with the Sonata 2.0T Turbo. The Sonata has a rated 274 hp on regular fuel vs the Regal Turbo's 220hp on premium fuel. I'm saying if I were considering a Regal Turbo I would would have to give serious consideration to the Sonata 2.0T.

The Regal GS was mentioned only as comparison to horsepower as the figure regarding Sonata's hp was questioned on regular fuel. Also to be pointed out is that while the GS is intended to target other than Sonata segment, it also has a starting price min. ~$4-5k higher than Sonata.

No need to wait for the Malibu to make a turbo move sometime in the future, the Regal Turbo referenced here is already the direct comparison with the Sonata.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As this thread is about the Regal Turbo not the Turbo GS, that was the intended and direct comparison with the Sonata 2.0T Turbo. The Sonata has a rated 274 hp on regular fuel vs the Regal Turbo's 220hp on premium fuel. I'm saying if I were considering a Regal Turbo I would would have to give serious consideration to the Sonata 2.0T.

The Regal GS was mentioned only as comparison to horsepower as the figure regarding Sonata's hp was questioned on regular fuel. Also to be pointed out is that while the GS is intended to target other than Sonata segment, it also has a starting price min. ~$4-5k higher than Sonata.

No need to wait for the Malibu to make a turbo move sometime in the future, the Regal Turbo referenced here is already the direct comparison with the Sonata.

I disagree, I have driven all of them and feel the Sonata Turbo is better compared to the Malibu V6, and the Regal Turbo is better compared to TSX V6. Regal and TSX are a premium midsize, Sonata and Malibu are mainstream midsizes. (All are nice cars)

Quote:
I disagree, I have driven all of them and feel the Sonata Turbo is better compared to the Malibu V6, and the Regal Turbo is better compared to TSX V6. Regal and TSX are a premium midsize, Sonata and Malibu are mainstream midsizes. (All are nice cars)

Guess I'll have to test drive a Regal Turbo to see if it's all that. But, having test driven several Sonata 2.0T's this year, based the Regal Turbo's comparative hp, mpg and premium fuel use, it would have to go some to exceed my impression of the Sonata 2.0T. That said, I'd avoid both at the moment (and did with the Sonata) because of DI.

As for comparing the Malibu V6 to the Sonata, the mpg difference alone wouldn't even put it in the same ball park for me. But that just me, because as with the Regal Turbo Sonata comparison, practical considerations when like mpg and fuel requirements mean a lot to me when comparing vehicles. Different strokes.

Our malibu maxx averaged 26 mpg. Super loaded with V6.

Pretty strong runner too. Most people liked it and many were amazed when they discovered it was GM.

The Sonata turbo is not going to get great mileage for the average driver. You might be able to light foot it around and get 25-27 mpg but no way if you use that turbo and get into the boost. At least that's what the owner of one here told me.

I can't believe how cool the new Buicks are. They amaze me that they would reinvent themselves and drive off their loyal demographic.

And like Sayjac, we are not buying DI anything around here until someone shows they have those carbon build up issues resolved.

The Regal Turbo's recommended fuel is premium. The 2.0T Sonata Turbo with more hp and better rated mpg, runs on regular.

Yes, I was surprised at that myself because here lately GM has been purposely giving us horsepower on regular gas whereas the imports require premium. If you read the Regal owners manual (I just did) they are recommending premium..not requiring it. Of course, you'd more than likely lose a little power on 87. My CTS delivers 304hp on 87..the competition required premium fuel.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The Regal Turbo's recommended fuel is premium. The 2.0T Sonata Turbo with more hp and better rated mpg, runs on regular.

Yes, I was surprised at that myself because here lately GM has been purposely giving us horsepower on regular gas whereas the imports require premium. If you read the Regal owners manual (I just did) they are recommending premium..not requiring it. Of course, you'd more than likely lose a little power on 87. My CTS delivers 304hp on 87..the competition required premium fuel.

My turbo Cruze definitely runs better on premium than regular, even though regular is recommended in the manual. The fuel mileage gain is good enough to recoup the higher cost of the premium.

Seeing how the Regal is another European import like my Cruze, it ought to run better/stronger on premium than regular. Even though it's not required, premium will still be a great idea in this car.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

My turbo Cruze definitely runs better on premium than regular, even though regular is recommended in the manual. The fuel mileage gain is good enough to recoup the higher cost of the premium.

Seeing how the Regal is another European import like my Cruze, it ought to run better/stronger on premium than regular. Even though it's not required, premium will still be a great idea in this car.

Yes, that is very true. Maybe 89 would be a good balance?

The Regal Turbo's recommended fuel is premium. The 2.0T Sonata Turbo 2.0T specific with more hp and better rated mpg, runs on regular.

Yes, I was surprised at that myself because here lately GM has been purposely giving us horsepower on regular gas whereas the imports require premium. If you read the Regal owners manual (I just did) they are recommending premium..not requiring it. Of course, you'd more than likely lose a little power on 87.

Don't know about any GM or import fuel trend, the comparison was Sonata Turbo/Regal Turbo specific. And note, I never said the Regal Turbo required premium, said recommended. However, I went to a Regal forum regarding the premium fuel recommendation. According to a poster/Regal Turbo owner the manual says "It's recommended to use Premium Gasoline, however, you can run a mid-grade if you like. The Manual states the engine might make a ticking or knocking noise if not premium is not used."

The same poster reported trying one tank of regular and his comment was" The engine was a little noisier and you could tell the timing was slightly off." After that tank was close to empty he filled it with premium and noted "The engine ran smoother and quieter after the hi-test stuff was put it. " Seems safe to say that the premium recommendation is best practice for the Regal Turbo, not regular fuel like the Sonata.

As noted though, for the time being because of DI, I'd avoid both. And, I have no problem with those that prefer the Regal Turbo or any vehicle of their preference for any reason. I don't worry what others think about my vehicle choices, nor what others choose. I was pointing out a vehicle comparison, that imo is appropriate to the topic'd Regal Turbo.

The Regal Turbo's recommended fuel is premium. The 2.0T Sonata Turbo 2.0T specific with more hp and better rated mpg, runs on regular.

Yes, I was surprised at that myself because here lately GM has been purposely giving us horsepower on regular gas whereas the imports require premium. If you read the Regal owners manual (I just did) they are recommending premium..not requiring it. Of course, you'd more than likely lose a little power on 87.

Don't know about any GM or import fuel trend, the comparison was Sonata Turbo/Regal Turbo specific. And note, I never said the Regal Turbo required premium, said recommended. However, I went to a Regal forum regarding the premium fuel recommendation. According to a poster/Regal Turbo owner the manual says "It's recommended to use Premium Gasoline, however, you can run a mid-grade if you like. The Manual states the engine might make a ticking or knocking noise if not premium is not used."

The same poster reported trying one tank of regular and his comment was" The engine was a little noisier and you could tell the timing was slightly off." After that tank was close to empty he filled it with premium and noted "The engine ran smoother and quieter after the hi-test stuff was put it. " Seems safe to say that the premium recommendation is best practice for the Regal Turbo, not regular fuel like the Sonata.

As noted though, for the time being because of DI, I'd avoid both. And, I have no problem with those that prefer the Regal Turbo or any vehicle of their preference for any reason. I don't worry what others think about my vehicle choices, nor what others choose. I was pointing out a vehicle comparison, that imo is appropriate to the topic'd Regal Turbo.

We have 2 turbo Regals in company service at my plant as we speak and I have driven one. We use basic 87 gas at the plant and the cars run fine. Gasoline octane will not make the engine noisy or the timing off as that guy says. That is bull and beings its from the internet he probably doesn't even own one.

Perhaps his anecdotal experience is different than yours. So it's not at all possible he experienced a ping when using regular rather than the Regal's recommended premium fuel?

And according to the owners manual it is a possibility. From the owners manual. "If the vehicle has the 2.0L L4 engine(VIN Code V), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. ...."
21.gif

We have 2 turbo Regals in company service at my plant as we speak and I have driven one. We use basic 87 gas at the plant and the cars run fine. Gasoline octane will not make the engine noisy or the timing off as that guy says. That is bull and beings its from the internet he probably doesn't even own one.

Concur the programming is such that it will pull back the timing if required, my guess is it is more in the guys mind.
Must modernm cars really can't tell the differene, you may feel it at WOT or see it in your MPG.

Id imagine that the turbo ecotec 2.0L in my 04 saab is very similar to the regal.

The SW on it is designed to advance only up to the point of equivalence for 90 AKI gasoline.

Ive run 87 through 93, and have noted no real change in drivability or power (I make full torque at about 1200 RPM). It easier to get >36 MPG when running 93 vs 87. This car will do a hair under 40 MPG if driven right and well.

Perhaps his anecdotal experience is different than yours. So it's not at all possible he experienced a ping when using regular rather than the Regal's recommended premium fuel?

And according to the owners manual it is a possibility. From the owners manual. "If the vehicle has the 2.0L L4 engine(VIN Code V), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. ...."
21.gif

Yes, it is in his head. The car will retard timing, no pinging will be heard or experienced except perhaps for an extreme case like 100 degree day, climbing a hill fully loaded foot to the floor kinda thing.

Other's have agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back