Test drove a Regal Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
For giggles this weekend, I stopped by the dealer and test drove a 2011 or -12 Buick Regal Turbo. Silver, black interior, with navigation and sunroof, 18" wheels. I couldn't put it through any real paces, as I was limited on time, but it was solid and quick, with a little harsher ride than my big Park Avenue -- which I expected; it's shorter and aimed more at the stiff-suspension Euro crowd.

Also I sat in a non-turbo with the "cashmere" colored interior -- light cream seats with a darker tan dash and door trim, and dark wood accents. Much nicer inside, to me, than the all-black.

For some reason, completely irrational, I liked the layout and trim of the interior better than that of the LaCrosse, which is a smoother, more luxury-oriented vehicle; the Regal reminded me more of my Mercedes C-Class. Which is just the buyer segment Buick is aiming at. I'd say they have a good shot at grabbing some of that market away from Stuttgart.

Yeah, I know the GS is coming. And that's a sharp-looking car. But it's out of my sensible price range (as are the 2011s, for now), and a sport suspension would be hard to live with here in the Land of Cracked Roads.

Upshot: I was pleased with the Regal, and it would be fun to drive. But when I climbed back into the Park Avenue, all was right with the world again. I won't be changing cars for a while yet.

I want to drive one and see how it compares to my 2.0t saab 9-3. I cant imagine it is that different... And if that is the case, it is a great car that can be trusted more manufacturer-wise than saab can at this point... unfortunately.

That was the car I would loved to have purchased. Unfortunately it would not have been practical for a number of reasons.

For a ported-over Insignia, it seems to be playing its upscale status quite nicely.

Nice car but its FWD, I won't drive a FWD vehicle.

If Buick makes a RWD version I'll check it out.

I am interested in these cars too. I also wish they were rear wheel drive! Or AWD? Oh well....what was the sticker price on those?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I am interested in these cars too. I also wish they were rear wheel drive! Or AWD? Oh well....what was the sticker price on those?

Isn't an AWD option available?

If Buick is after the Mercedes crowd (good luck with that), who is Cadillac after?

I still do not understand what GM wants to do with Buick. They had a perfectly good demographic of the elderly drivers. People who have the money to spend and have unique set of requirements. Why ditch them to chase a phantom demographic...

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
If Buick is after the Mercedes crowd (good luck with that), who is Cadillac after?

I still do not understand what GM wants to do with Buick. They had a perfectly good demographic of the elderly drivers. People who have the money to spend and have unique set of requirements. Why ditch them to chase a phantom demographic...

Sales were stagnating as their target demographic died off. Those people were also moving toward CUV's/minivans for "space to haul around the grandkids" and away from large sedans.

Buick's going after the people who want a nice car without a Cadillac price tag, but don't want a proletariat Chevrolet. Caddy's going after the money is no object crowd.

My issue with the new Regal is the MPG. I have a 2000 3.8L SC that gets 31 mpg highway and the new Regal 4 cyl turbo is the same. Where's the beef after 11 years? S/B 40mpg with a 4 cyl in there! ( well, mine does require premium gas) Plus it is Direct Injected and not sure GM has any issues with this as yet but it does bother me at this point so I will stay with the ole reliable, lower taxes, lower insurance.

Buick is going after the entry level luxury market, ie the 3 series, C class, A4 crowed. Buick has a ways to go, but they are getting their.

Caddy is going after the high end.

Regal competes well with the TSX, LaCrosse competes well with the TL. (I know I cross shopped both!)

Originally Posted By: mcrn

The one I drove didn't have a sticker on the window anywhere, and besides, I'm afraid to find out. I'm liable to have a Fred Sanford moment. [Grabbing chest, staggering as if heart is about to give out] "Ah'm comin', Elizabeth! Ah'm comin' to see ya!"
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Buick is going after the entry level luxury market, ie the 3 series, C class, A4 crowed. Buick has a ways to go, but they are getting their.

Caddy is going after the high end.

Like the Mercury of Ford? That's another brand that has a fuzzy future.

What future? Ford already killed the Mercury brand earlier this year.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Regal competes well with the TSX, LaCrosse competes well with the TL. (I know I cross shopped both!)

Does LaCrosse undercut TL? I am almost resigning myself to pick up *the* most boring new car in the world; Toyota Avalon. This makes me a targeted Buick customer, doesn't it??

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06

ROFLMAO
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06

That's like the guy coming out from under the rock in that Geico commercial...

"No way!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back