Terrible News! Jimmie Johnson's in-laws.

Sir, please feel free to delete this thread if you wish. You have my blessings. If I had it to do over again I would not have started this thread. There's already enough bad news in the world.

Scott
I apologize if this came off as against you; that's not my intent. I don't blame you whatsoever.
What irritates me is that somehow the media thinks the pain and suffering of Johnson's personal life is newsworthy, above all others who suffer the same loss all across this nation.

I am sickened by the predominant thought that somehow celebs are "better" (more notable) and therefore their lives/opinions matter more than the common man. I like DeNero's acting; I don't care about his biases. I like Springsteen's music; I don't care for his thoughts about any current topic which he injects into every single concert. The celebs and media are grossly mistaken if they think I give one hoot about a celeb outside of whatever skill-set they have (driving; singing; acting; ....)

Johnson is/was a fantastic racer. The fact that his in-laws were murdered by a family member is just salacious garbage which I don't care about, and frankly it's not really any of my business. Shame upon the racing media for dragging his pain into the public view.

It's tragic. But so are the hundreds of murders every month, along with a host of other atrocities. What I don't understand is why this is news ... other than the obvious poparazzi element of gawking at celebs, why does this merit a newsworthy mention? It's not racing news; it's salacious news which just by dumb luck landed on Johnson's doorstep. Had it not been Johnson's inlaws, it never would have made anything but the local news. I'm not blaming the OP; it's the media which somehow elevates this story above others, as if the Johnson's are suffering more than all the other grieving families who mourn at their own loss.
It is racing news because he dropped out of the race because of this.

It is racing news because he dropped out of the race because of this.
True.

Option one ... take the high road ... the media could have simply noted that Johnson dropped out of the race for "personal family reasons".

Option two ... take the typical low road ... drag the agony and hurt into public view, and make money off of someone's suffering.

I think we all know where this typically goes.

It's tragic. But so are the hundreds of murders every month, along with a host of other atrocities. What I don't understand is why this is news ... other than the obvious poparazzi element of gawking at celebs, why does this merit a newsworthy mention? It's not racing news; it's salacious news which just by dumb luck landed on Johnson's doorstep. Had it not been Johnson's inlaws, it never would have made anything but the local news. I'm not blaming the OP; it's the media which somehow elevates this story above others, as if the Johnson's are suffering more than all the other grieving families who mourn at their own loss.
The New York Times slogan is, or was, "All the News that's Fit To Print." But what it really should have said is "All the News that fits, we print." That was true back in the day when we only consumed news on a few national TV channels; CBS, NBC and ABC, newspapers and Newsweek and Time. Then came 24 hour news stations like CNN and MSNBC and the like. And then the internet and social media. We are bombarded with information. And unfortunately dis-information. More and more "news" now fits so we hear about things like Jimmy Johnson's in-laws. But, ultimately we are still in control. Yes, we may not be able to avoid the headline but we don't have to read the story or watch the video. There has always been a fascination with celebrity and there always will be. It's still up to each of us as to what fascinates us.

Back