Terrible News! Jimmie Johnson's in-laws.

It's tragic. But so are the hundreds of murders every month, along with a host of other atrocities. What I don't understand is why this is news ... other than the obvious poparazzi element of gawking at celebs, why does this merit a newsworthy mention? It's not racing news; it's salacious news which just by dumb luck landed on Johnson's doorstep. Had it not been Johnson's inlaws, it never would have made anything but the local news. I'm not blaming the OP; it's the media which somehow elevates this story above others, as if the Johnson's are suffering more than all the other grieving families who mourn at their own loss.

Last edited:
It's tragic. But so are the hundreds of murders every month, along with a host of other atrocities. What I don't understand is why this is news ... other than the obvious poparazzi element of gawking at celebs, why does this merit a newsworthy mention?
Exactly what you mentioned if you ask me. Celebrity obsession the media forces upon us just about every single day. I could get on a roll talking about what I feel is the unstoppable damage the media has done to us all the last 25 years in the USA. Damage done especially to all our young minds who dont have time or place to focus on anything good since all anyone covers is sickness and depravity 24x7 365.

It's tragic. But so are the hundreds of murders every month, along with a host of other atrocities. What I don't understand is why this is news ... other than the obvious poparazzi element of gawking at celebs, why does this merit a newsworthy mention? It's not racing news; it's salacious news which just by dumb luck landed on Johnson's doorstep. Had it not been Johnson's inlaws, it never would have made anything but the local news. I'm not blaming the OP; it's the media which somehow elevates this story above others, as if the Johnson's are suffering more than all the other grieving families who mourn at their own loss.
Sir, please feel free to delete this thread if you wish. You have my blessings. If I had it to do over again I would not have started this thread. There's already enough bad news in the world.

Scott

Exactly what you mentioned if you ask me. Celebrity obsession the media forces upon us just about every single day. I could get on a roll talking about what I feel is the unstoppable damage the media has done to us all the last 25 years in the USA. Damage done especially to all our young minds who dont have time or place to focus on anything good since all anyone covers is sickness and depravity 24x7 365.
This reminds me every time I see a celebrity quoted about some news item, that I say to myself "Who cares what you think"?

Sir, please feel free to delete this thread if you wish. You have my blessings. If I had it to do over again I would not have started this thread. There's already enough bad news in the world.

Scott
Dont feel bad about posting this. Lots of us follow NASCAR and probably noticed the story (like I did) already. It is something truly sad
that I am sure people are talking about. Jimmy Johnson or other NASCAR drivers and people like them are usually NOT the type of celebrities the media fawns all over and pushes on us. It is mostly celebrities who are either in or cause all kinds of trouble they love to obsess over.

Last edited:
This reminds me every time I see a celebrity quoted about some news item, that I say to myself "Who cares what you think"?

X10! I can't think of many celebrities that are experts on anything other than being a celebrity. So why would anyone care what they think about politics, religion, the environment or anything else? Other than the stupid shenanigans that many of the celebrities get up to, they're simply not news worthy IMO.

It's very sad to hear about that happening in the Johnson family. Most of the NASCAR drivers are very decent and upstanding people that don't seek publicity outside of their racing careers. But many families have internal problems that most of us never hear about unless some tragedy like this happens.

Last edited:
It is so absolutely tragic. Jimmie was scheduled to run the Chicago street race this Sunday, but obviously his team withdrew the entry. My heart absolutely aches for him and his family.

For people that are real fans of the sport, you sort of feel like you know the drivers with all the access we have to them. They all bring their families to the track and you can watch their kids grow up over the years so they sort of feel like you sort of "know" them if that makes sense. Like when my mom and I go to Sonoma Raceway for Cup, we like to stand by the entrance to the garage area and people watch. She is always amazed at how I recognize so many people that aren't drivers.

@slo town I remember when you went to the Clash and had your few minutes with Michael Waltrip. I have always really thought highly of him, and this year at Sonoma just reinforced that. Mikey went down the line signing some autographs on Saturday and then had to rush to go to a broadcast. He ran past us, stopped and put his arm around my mom like she was a long lost friend and asked how she was doing and if she was enjoying her NASCAR experience. He let me take a picture of her with him and it absolutely made her day.

It is so absolutely tragic. Jimmie was scheduled to run the Chicago street race this Sunday, but obviously his team withdrew the entry. My heart absolutely aches for him and his family.

For people that are real fans of the sport, you sort of feel like you know the drivers with all the access we have to them. They all bring their families to the track and you can watch their kids grow up over the years so they sort of feel like you sort of "know" them if that makes sense. Like when my mom and I go to Sonoma Raceway for Cup, we like to stand by the entrance to the garage area and people watch. She is always amazed at how I recognize so many people that aren't drivers.

@slo town I remember when you went to the Clash and had your few minutes with Michael Waltrip. I have always really thought highly of him, and this year at Sonoma just reinforced that. Mikey went down the line signing some autographs on Saturday and then had to rush to go to a broadcast. He ran past us, stopped and put his arm around my mom like she was a long lost friend and asked how she was doing and if she was enjoying her NASCAR experience. He let me take a picture of her with him and it absolutely made her day.
Ed, what a great story about Michael Waltrip and your Mom! I’m glad he gave her the diehard fan recognition she deserves. And, yes, when we met him he was exactly like he is on television. He couldn’t have been friendlier. If you had him as an actual friend I think he’d be a fun guy to have in your life.

Scott

Sadly most of them need help to tie their own shoes or to put fuel in their own vehicles YET we have a (far too large) segment of the population who hang on everything they say and are dumb enough to even take voting advice from these "performers!" Being an actor or celebrity does not automatically turn one into the next Albert Einstien like some lamebrains think. Very sad.

Back